Citizenship.....NO. So which visa? Help!!!!!

nick1972

Hi,

This is my first post, and it's a long one (sorry). :chatterbox:

After visiting Australia in 2001 my mind was made up and recent return visits (3) with my family to Perth have cemented the wish to move.

My father has an Aussie passport as my grandfather was born in Melbourne, but after extensive investigations I have been told by "experts" that I can't get citizenship and will have to apply for a visa, but which? This is my main dilemma.

I have just sold my business (1st step to Oz!) after 10 yrs of running it with my brother, my background excluding business management is in sales, however I don't have any formal qualifications to back this up (other than proof of a very profitable and successful business)

I was originally looking at the investor visa with the aim of keeping our property back here to add to our income from the rent, however with the global economy the way it is that option has gone as we will now need the proceeds from the sale at the start of our new life.

(1) Skilled Visa, which occupation do I choose as quite a few cover business management/sales type roles. But which do NOT require a formal qualification or university background?

It does state on the Department of Immigration & Citizenship web site that some occupations will accept experience instead of qualifications.

(2) Or do I go the business owner route and buy/invest in a modest business?

I wanted to be able to find my feet in a relaxed fashion upon arriving down under without having to rush back into the day to day grind of working for someone or running my own thing, which I inevitably will do, but in my own time. Therefore (1) would be my preferred pathway so long as I don't dont have to re-train as a hairdresser!!!

Or, if any citizenship experts out their in web land want to make a name for themselves and come up with a loop hole that I haven't thought of then be my guest.:idea:

Sorry to ramble on.

Nick and family.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Nick and Family

I am sorry but I cannot advise on your best path to Oz, but try chatting with Gill or Alan at Go Matilda both are very honest and helpful.

Good luck

Kate

Hello Nick.

If you have a choice between subclasses 163 (State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner) and the 165 (State/Territory Sponsored Investor), I would:

- Go for the 165 if you are happy to tie up A$750k for 4 years. It has the less risky pathway to permanent residency of the two.

- Go for the 163 visa if you are comfortable with the pathway to permanent residency (usually subclass 892: State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner (Residence) (Subclass 892)) and want access to your capital.

Send me a PM or email with your phone number if you would like me to telephone you to discuss - I am happy to call the UK from Victoria (where I am usually to be found).

Best regards.

Archived