How to prepare for Shippers??

zoeburrell

Hey all

Our shippers are coming in on 7th Jan and we are frantically trying to de clutter, but wondering if there is any advice as to what we should be doing before they arrive? We have tried to sort things into boxes, I know they pack themselves but thought it may help them, as for clothes we have put them in suitcases for the container, although it is so hard trying to narrow clothes we are taking to 20 kilos!

I just wondered if anyone could let me know what happens on the day? What i should be doing to prepare? and is it going to be chaos like I am imagining?!!

Any advice greatly appreciated....

Zoe xxxx

Guest carolans

Hi Zoe,

I was running around just ahead of the packers trying to sort before they packed. I had made sure that things that had been spread all over the house were together, like books and toys, as I want to try and be more organised over here! We used John Mason and they were brilliant.

A word of warning though, if you have anything that you list on your customs form - make sure that they label the box up carefully. I had a pile of martial arts training equipment (all foam gear) listed and detailed on the customs form, but the packer had not labelled it separately and I think has just put it in one the kids 'toy' boxes. This has caused major problems in customs and had put a stop on our shipment, which meant that our crate was left at the port over Christmas and accumulated $1500 of storage charges!

Another point about the 20kg baggage - have you validated your visas? If not, have you tried asked the airline for double baggage allowance? We got 40kg each on Singapore airlines, and could have got 50kg each from Emirates, using a link from our shippers.

Hope this has been a little useful. Hope it all goes well.

Zoë

Guest PommieLady

My advice would be to check on the type of packing they are doing.

We had put most of our stuff in clear storage boxes, these where then packed by the shipping firm. When it arrived the stuff had been thrown into cardboard boxes and the clear boxes had been stacked (with lids on) empty and then put in cardboard boxes :eek:

Fortunately we didn't ship too much stuff and we didn't pay for it.

Guest PommieLady
we are taking to 20 kilos!

I don't know if they still offer an extra 20kg for migrants on the flight over, specific airlines.

This has to be pre arranged when booking the flight.

:smile:

Guest carolans

We communicated with Singapore Airlines about extra baggage after flights were booked - they just added comments to our records, supposedly, but check-in lady wasn't sure, until I produced confirmation e-mail. There may be an issue with type of visa you're moving on(?)

Hi Zoe,

I was running around just ahead of the packers trying to sort before they packed. I had made sure that things that had been spread all over the house were together, like books and toys, as I want to try and be more organised over here! We used John Mason and they were brilliant.

A word of warning though, if you have anything that you list on your customs form - make sure that they label the box up carefully. I had a pile of martial arts training equipment (all foam gear) listed and detailed on the customs form, but the packer had not labelled it separately and I think has just put it in one the kids 'toy' boxes. This has caused major problems in customs and had put a stop on our shipment, which meant that our crate was left at the port over Christmas and accumulated $1500 of storage charges!

Another point about the 20kg baggage - have you validated your visas? If not, have you tried asked the airline for double baggage allowance? We got 40kg each on Singapore airlines, and could have got 50kg each from Emirates, using a link from our shippers.

Hope this has been a little useful. Hope it all goes well.

Zoë

Thanks Zoe, very useful reply.

We are using Robinsons and they have basically said 'leave it to us' - didn't say we should sort things out or seperate anything. I think that's why I'm having a last minute panic - I'm desperately trying to sort as much as we can so we can work out exactly what we can fit into our case to go and what we can't.

We are flying with Singapore Airlines and I've explained that we have an unvalidated visa (and a one way ticket!) but because it's a temporary (4 year!) visa where we have to apply for PR before it runs out they say it's not a migrant visa. Very unfair in my opinion but who am I?! I'm going to go with around 30kg in each case and just risk it I think. May be worth us talking to Robinsons to see if they have any links with the airline - I'll email them next!

Roll on this time next week when the shippers will have left and we'll be sat in an empty house with just a leaving party to worry about!!

Thanks again

Zoe xx

Hiya

Quick question, you can pack clothes in the container can`t you? Please say yes!!

Sue x

I sure hope so, Sue - there's no way I'd be able to pack my double wardrobe into a 20kg suitcase! I'm hoping the shippers have boxes for them though - I've run out of spare cases!

Zoe xx

Guest jimrie

Hi Zoe, Your right about the visa with Singapore airlines it has to be a PR visa to get the extra baggage allowance, but we flew out with them in November and were over probably about 10kg between 5 suitcases and we didnt get charged extra breathed a sigh of relief then kept thinking of all that money, also had a excellent flight with them. With the packers i found tea and bacon rolls the best way to be organised, kept them happy and i found they did a very good job, we went with Pickfords and we didnt have to pack anything. Hope all goes well for you love Julie :wubclub:

Hi Zoe,

... We used John Mason and they were brilliant.

This has caused major problems in customs and had put a stop on our shipment, which meant that our crate was left at the port over Christmas and accumulated $1500 of storage charges!

Zoë

Hello Zoe, could you get the storage costs paid by John Mason, we also used them and I don't think that they market the wood products clearly.

Regarding Emirates they didn't mention anything about the special link, do you still have it? Thanks.

Guest donovan

I am sure I just answered this one, but can't find it? oh well we used Eagle relocations, great company and very professional, came in packed everything, even some things that I did not want packed ( my fault for leaving them in their way) done a great inventory and then they were on their way, received our stuff about 10 weeks just as they said we would, and the only thing broken was a mirro, and some things had gone a bit yellow, like my tumble dryer and one of the kids toys not bad I thought.

Sarah x

I just wanted to let everyone know that Robinsons came in this morning and so far they have been fantastic, we have spent the last week sorting through everything and we were so nervous this morning but they were here early, took a look round had a quick chat and have not stopped since, they are flying through the house and im watching in amazment! So far I can thoroughly reccommend them! Cant write too much as I think they are waiting for the sofa that I am sat on!

Will keep you all updated..

Good Luck everyone

Zoe and co xx

Archived