Good Areas and Schools in Perth

Guest Gary130172

Guest Gary130172

I am sure this question has been asked 1000 times but, We have just got our visas for the big move. We are coming over in April 2009. Our greatest concern is suburbs to live and schools for our children. We plan to rent to start with until we get settled.

Any help on good schools / suburbs either North or South of the river would be of great.

How do you apply for school places.

Regards

Gary

Guest guest17301

You have tons of reaearch to do...we are 6 months down the line and still undecided! Try www.aussiemove.com. to begin with..lots of suburb and school info-a really useful site. Helps to decide how far from CBD/beaches you want to be and take it from there. Budget will dictate how close to the city you live..it's a really personal choice to be honest, lots of factors. Work out what's important to you first and take it from there. Good luck!

Guest prettyinpink

Hiya Gary, state schools in Perth are very strict on catchment areas and in most cases will not enrol children without proof of a residential address. We had to wait until we secured a rental before our children could start school.

Research the suburbs you're interested in first, and then perhaps have a look at the websites of the school in those areas.

We were set on one of the top performing schools in WA and had a look round, but quickly changed our mind. The children all stared when we did the tour and he woman talking to us about the school was as enthusiastic as a wet fish lol. So we checked out another suberb, looked around the school and got a completely different vibe. Our sone now goes to that one and loves it.

Try the government's A-Z of schools for some stats Education Department of Western Australia - Schools Online

Hope that helps and good luck. Shout up if you need anymore info, unfortunately I can't comment on private schools here in WA.

. Our sone now goes to that one and loves it.

Hope that helps and good luck. Shout up if you need anymore info, unfortunately I can't comment on private schools here in WA.

Lol - My daughter goes there too and loves it!!

Actually, it's funny what can put you off. We knew which suburb we were living in before we came, so i contacted the primary schools in the area - one didn't reply, one sent a very short reply to my query, and the last, told me about the school, as my daughter would be moving to high school a year later - he told me about the high schools, and was extreamly helpful - it just gave us a really good feeling. The principle then went onto organise a pen-pal for my daughter so that she would know someone when she arrived .... sometimes it's the little things like that (rather than exam results) that make you think it will be a good school.

Ali

Guest 2boys1pink

What an excellent idea re pen pal! -We just at the very very first stages of thinking of moving and I know our 8yr old would be worried about friends so this is great!

Glad I found this site and sure will be on trying to find out lots of info from now on.

Lisa

Archived