Canberra Suburbs any to avoid??

Guest Chrissygirl

Guest Chrissygirl

We are moving to Canberra Feb 09 and looking to rent, would be grateful for any info on any suburbs to avoid, or likewise, really nice ones, looking for nice suburb middle class people, with nice area not too far from shopping etc, thanks for any help

Chris and Nick

Personally I would avoid Charnwood, Richardson, Eastern Narrabundah (the Fishwyck side) for sure and probably tend not to venture down to Conder either. You are going to get good and bad bits in any suburb - except perhaps Forrest and O'Malley but they arent really middle class (lotsa $$$) so the eyeball test of the neighbourhood is always good! Nowhere is really far from shops - the way the place was designed, they built suburbs around shopping centres and though some of them are really small with maybe just a mini supermarket and a takeaway, others are more substantial. Then you have the major hubs of Civic, Woden, Belconnen, Tuggeranong and Gungahlin which are full blown mall type shopping centres - Canberrans will go to all or any of them during the course of a year because they are close.

If you have kids, all the schools (govt) down in the Tuggeranong Valley were built in the time of open space learning and that may be a factor for you (either for or against).

The biggest difference in the suburbs is the housing style - the newer the build, the more likely you are to get spanking new McMansions on smaller blocks and currently less "greenery" compared with the older suburbs where you have smaller homes on larger blocks and lots of green. You will probably also want to take into account where you will be working so if you are going to work in Tuggeranong you probably dont want to be living in Amaroo for example.

Personally I like the inner North, it is one of the more established areas, slightly cheaper than the inner South and definitely accessible with good public transport if you need it but the houses are not your typical "Aussie dream mansion with pool" however they are perfectly serviceable. You do tend to get a North/South divide (N & S of Lake Burley Griffin) and people who have started life in the North tend to stay there and ditto with the South - and they would never think of moving to the other side. It's like being a North or South of the river person in London!

I guess you have had a look at the best site for rentals and for sale real estate in ACT and surrounding area Real Estate & Homes for Sale, Rent and Share | allhomes and you can supplement that with the satellite view and streetview in Google maps.

Guest Chrissygirl

Thanks so much, thats really helpful, no we dont have kids, so schools are not a factor, my husbands job is in Quenbeyan, but thats the head office, so a nice suburb no more than 20 mins away would be ideal, if we dont live in Quenbeyan, not really sure where to pick, yet, but thanks for tips.

Chrissy

Archived