moving to melbourne on 26th feb 2009

Guest pommiprincess

Guest pommiprincess

Hey guys

omg!! im petrified im moving to Melb all on my lonesome at the innocent age of 20.. got my visa and flights all booked in a week which is pretty good considering the slowliness of the majority of british staff in the country!!

Im coming over on a student visa to study hairdressing and beauty. Although i know the rules on work etc i do have friends in melbourne but to be honest they are pretty useless at telling me what i need the answers too!!

1. Flat sharing i have seen the website but wondering if this is the best thing to do in regards to cost? my mum is paying everything for me and i dunno whether to have my own place for space etc or share with other ppl til i want my own place so that i have ppl to get rid of the spiders lmao :biggrin:

2. Obviously UK has the oh so wonderful NHS ( i say that with sarcasm ) what do i do in regards to signing up to a doctors and a dentist?

im sure there are more things i can ask but i dunno what yet will come to that another time maybe!!

cheers guys

:wub:

Guest ReadyPenny

Dunno about the sharing,that's personal choice, if you can afford it I would have my own place - but that's me. With regards the NHS, Australia has Medicare which will take care of your medical needs but I think dental treatment must be paid for. Not sure if you qualify for Medicare if you are a student.

Check it out online, there is loads of useful info on medicare.

Good Luck

Mandy

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi there...!

Just wanted to welcome you to PomsinOz - it's a great site!!!

And of course wish you Lots of Luck with your time in Melbourne...!!!

Take care,

Dan xx :emoticon-signxmas:

hey good luck with everything you do in melbourne were hoping to be over there next summer put our visa application in last month, havnt decided which part of melbourne yet depends if i can get a job offer!!! which part are you planning on living in?working in?

Lee

Hi,

I'd share rather than living alone, its a bit more sociable that way and easier to meet people, if you are going home to an empty apartment on your own you can feel a bit isolated, its difficult to do that if you're sharing a house.

For medical stuff, dentist I think you have to pay for, all the info is on the medicare site www.medicareaustralia.gov.au

Guest missy44*123

hey i am 23 and goin on my own to melbourne in 3 weeks well scary. well me and mum and dad are goin for a 3 week holiday to visit my bro and sister in law and then i am stayin on i am a newly qualifield hairdresser so hopefully be able to find a job and then if i decide to stay and can my 2 dogs are comin over so god willin i should still be in melbourne (unless had to come home coz cant get a job ) when you come over so if you want to meet for a drink and a chat

Guest windsor

I would suggest sharing with people so that you are not alone.. They will be able to advise you on things when you get here and also at least you have company until you find your own friends.. gumtree.com.au has flat shares on it. St Kilda is always a nice place to live and a bit funky so you will probably like living there.. Dental you do need to pay for. I have a filling yesterday and it cost $150. You don't need to sign up to Docs and dentists here. Need your Medicare card and when you need a doc, or dentist you call for an appointment.. I find it a little harder to get a dental appointment but docs are really easy..

If you are stuck or need a little guidance when you are here then please feel free to contact me.. Think I shall be going through this next year when my 20yr old brother comes out.. :0) (I am from Surrey too). Feel free also to pm me with any other questions you may have

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pinkprincess

Hi, I'm planning a move to Melbourne in 2009 and have started my visa application. I am going for a working holiday visa to start with as I felt that was easiest for me as I don't know if I want to stay there permanently.

Am not sure how easy it will be for me to find work or accomodation but I'm still in the very early stages so I'm not panicking yet...just trying to get as much information as possible.

I too will be going on my own and so am more than a little terrified!!! Although I'm 28! but I do not have any friends in Aus so am prob a little crazy but feel its something I really want to do.

Any advice would be graftefully received!!

Thanks

Kirsty :o)

Guest cureforanitch

Hey guys,

I'm Joe, 24, and am also due to move out to Melbourne on the 20th Jan. Only about 2 weeks to go and running round like a mad man trying to get everything sorted!

With regard to accomodation, i'm looking at a flat share as its an automatic way to make some friends, and its cheaper of course. I've had www.gumtree.com or www.flatmatefinders.com.au recomended to me.

Apart from the the odd work mate, i dont know a soul in Melbourne. So if theres any Melbournians both new or old who fancy meeting up at some point in early February get in touch. Emails cureforanitch@hotmail.com

Joe

Archived