Moving to Perth area and need HELP!!!!

Guest Littlelee

Guest Littlelee

Hey Everyone,

My partner has just been offered a job in the Perth area, due to start in April 09. So we need to look in to finding somewhere to live with our 2 children (ages 3 and 5). Unfortunately, we have never been to Perth and know next to nothing about the place!! Can anyone give me any idea's about which area's are good for families with young children, which schools are good? Anything would be helpful as we are not going to be able to come and check it out before moving over - crazy, I know!!

Any info would be really great

Thanks

xxxx

Guest The Thomsons

We moved to Perth 5 weeks ago with 2 children 6 and 4. We are renting in Cottesloe which is gorgoeus and has good schools, but childcare is an issue here as everywhere is over subscribed, and i gather that this is not an issue in other suburbs.

If you have any specific questions let me know. We had not been to Perth before either but are settling into our new lives here really well. There is loads to do with small kids and mine absolutely love it here.

Hi Littlelee,

I look forward to welcoming you to Perth! Ignore my profile, I am now in Perth! I have a 5 year old so know exactly what you are going through!

One thing to be aware of is the hugely differing house prices in various suburbs so deciding where to live may be influenced by that.

A big factor in house prices is how close to the beach you are as well as how close to the city.

Our process went something like this - how far are we prepared to travel to work - 30 min (time rather than distance as public transport links are better in some areas than others) which suburbs have a median price within our price range - I found Perth Median Price Map - Real Estate Institute of WA useful for this. Once I'd identified a 'possible' I then researched the high school for that area. Although DS is only just starting primary school I felt moving into an area with a good high school was probably more important - I did of course check out the primary schools as well.

Schools on-line is a good place to start

Education Department of Western Australia - Schools Online

We identified Willetton as a good choice for us, however because we arrived just as the schools closed down for Christmas I panicked a bit & started looking at independent schools. Don't quote me but I think around 50% of children in Perth go to an independent school - a lot of which are Catholic schools. The fees are much less than the UK, $850 a term for us (although the 'posh' schools which are more like the private schools in the UK go into $1000s)

Taking this approach has de-stressed the whole process, we could enrol him in the school without finding a rental first & could then look at a number of suburbs that were near by.

One thing that may make it a little easier for you is children do not start school here until the year they are six - the cut-off is 30th June so if your child is 6 after then they will not start P1 until February 2010. They do have kindy & pre-primary but they aren't compulsary.

If you think I can help anymore feel free to PM me.

Good luck

:emoticon-signxmas:

Jules x

Hey Everyone,

My partner has just been offered a job in the Perth area, due to start in April 09. So we need to look in to finding somewhere to live with our 2 children (ages 3 and 5). Unfortunately, we have never been to Perth and know next to nothing about the place!! Can anyone give me any idea's about which area's are good for families with young children, which schools are good? Anything would be helpful as we are not going to be able to come and check it out before moving over - crazy, I know!!

Any info would be really great

Thanks

xxxx

hi there me the wife and 2 kids 8+2 are heading to perth the 2nd week of jan we got our visas yesterday so cant wait ,we too are going there not known an absolute thing about the place so if we find anything out which may help you i certainly will do

Guest Littlelee

Thanks everyone,

all of this info is really helpful! Have just found out that the Hr dept will be providing us with a flat for 6 weeks on our arrival so that will give plenty of time to check things out!!

Can't wait now!

xxx

Archived