Visa Costs

Guest J.Hornby

Guest J.Hornby

Hi,

Have read the DIAC site again to clarify visa costs having been fairly confident that we only had to pay one instalment. Am now panicking that I have misunderstood it! Does everyone pay the 2nd instalment of $2925 (175 skilled) or just those with 18 year old dependents with less than functional english? All adds up doesn't it?

Can I also ask, who tells you when you need to submit your medicals and police checks or does it all get sent togther? I thought you sent in your visa application and had your meds etc around 5+ months later. Reading some of the other threads is getting me all confused now - not hard obviously. Just trying to budget for everything.

Ta!

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi,

Have read the DIAC site again to clarify visa costs having been fairly confident that we only had to pay one instalment. Am now panicking that I have misunderstood it! Does everyone pay the 2nd instalment of $2925 (175 skilled) or just those with 18 year old dependents with less than functional english? All adds up doesn't it?

Can I also ask, who tells you when you need to submit your medicals and police checks or does it all get sent togther? I thought you sent in your visa application and had your meds etc around 5+ months later. Reading some of the other threads is getting me all confused now - not hard obviously. Just trying to budget for everything.

Ta!

Hi J. Hornby

In this context, "dependant" usually means spouse/partner. Youngsters will learn English fast enough once they at school in Oz.

The drill with the meds and police is that the choice is yours. Assuming that the police checks are clear and that the meds are clear too, they usually give the visa applicants 12 months from the date of the earlier of the pccs or meds in which to make their Initial Entry to Oz. The deadline date is stated in the Grant Letter.

A short rekkie/holiday will do. However the whole family must do it so cost is factor.

If you want the visa fast then pick a judicious moment to "frontload" the meds & pccs, in the hope that those will be processed and cleared by the time a Case Officer examines your file. If your application is "decision ready" by then. the CO will simply grant the visa and that will be that. If you prefer, wait to be asked for the pccs and meds. It really is entirely up to you.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Sean DaCat

we have done our police checks already and plan to do the medicals next month. Still waiting for a document to arrive from Australia that states I am work qualified. As soon as that is in, then will submit the whole package (Form 80, etc).

Do I understand your comment as stating that we would have to be cleared and actually move to Australia within 12 months of getting the police clearance certificate and the medical?

Guest J.Hornby

Hiya

I think if you are unable to move lock stock and barrel before your deadline date, you must visit Oz to validate your visa. This will then give you additional time to sort whatever you need to do but is financially impossible for some people. If I am hugely mistaken, I apologise.

Good luck with everything

Joanne

Gill, can I just ask you We are just gonna take the first steps is it the skills assessment first? Then the visa 175 app ? Cost is an issue as there is 4 of us we are tied into our mortgage now for 2 yrs (Nov 10 )& would hope (if sucessful ) to sell then & go , however we are planning to take a hol there march 10 to have a good look round Perth and was thinking that if we started doing visas now that we cd validate the visas then. Do you think this is the best way of doing things ? How long after visa granted do you get to validate it? & then once you have validated it how long do you have to get there permanently? Thanks so much, Cheryl

however we are planning to take a hol there march 10 to have a good look round Perth and was thinking that if we started doing visas now that we cd validate the visas then. Do you think this is the best way of doing things ? How long after visa granted do you get to validate it? & then once you have validated it how long do you have to get there permanently?

Cheryl,

This issue comes up so many times I'm sure Gill won't mind if I answered on her behalf.

I have clients who have never visited Australia before, and time their "look-see" trip to coincide with their validation trip. Nothing wrong with that if you don't have any pressing need to visit Australia prior to applying for the visa.

In general, you have 12 months from date of issuance of police or medical checks, whichever is earlier, to make the first entry to Australia. As Gill has pointed out, everyone granted the visa must physically visit Australia to fulfil the condition of the visa grant.

Once validated, the permanent visa is valid for travel in/out of Australia for 5 years from date of grant. The various scenarios that you may wish to consider are listed here: Australian Immigration Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Ptlabs Consulting

Regards

Peter

Guest dan&nikki

personally speaking i'd wait afew months after lodging the visa before doing the Meds and PC's...but have them done before a CO gets assigned - we were repeatedly advised against doing this, but we took the gamble (and it is a risk as it then starts the 12month clock ticking by when you have to be in Oz by)...but our visa was granted WITHIN HOURS of a CO picking it up - because it was 'ready to go'.....

Guest Sean DaCat

I already have my police check done. If I don't get my visa in time, do I have the option of either going to Australia within the 12 months of the police check, or getting a new police check done to restart the 12 months? Same, I guess applies to the medical.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Sean

If you want to "buy extra time", you can easily do that by obtaining another police check later on in the process.

However do bear in mind that the 12 month clock ticks from the date of the earlierof the police checks or the meds. New police checks is a quick and relatively cheap process. New meds for the whole family would be another matter.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi J. Hornby

In this context, "dependant" usually means spouse/partner. Youngsters will learn English fast enough once they at school in Oz.

The drill with the meds and police is that the choice is yours. Assuming that the police checks are clear and that the meds are clear too, they usually give the visa applicants 12 months from the date of the earlier of the pccs or meds in which to make their Initial Entry to Oz. The deadline date is stated in the Grant Letter.

A short rekkie/holiday will do. However the whole family must do it so cost is factor.

If you want the visa fast then pick a judicious moment to "frontload" the meds & pccs, in the hope that those will be processed and cleared by the time a Case Officer examines your file. If your application is "decision ready" by then. the CO will simply grant the visa and that will be that. If you prefer, wait to be asked for the pccs and meds. It really is entirely up to you.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi sorry to butt into this thread but can you explain to me what front loading your pcs and medicals means.as I'm very confused with all this technical talk and don't want to miss doing something that I should be doing.

jack&mick

Cheryl,

This issue comes up so many times I'm sure Gill won't mind if I answered on her behalf.

I have clients who have never visited Australia before, and time their "look-see" trip to coincide with their validation trip. Nothing wrong with that if you don't have any pressing need to visit Australia prior to applying for the visa.

In general, you have 12 months from date of issuance of police or medical checks, whichever is earlier, to make the first entry to Australia. As Gill has pointed out, everyone granted the visa must physically visit Australia to fulfil the condition of the visa grant.

Once validated, the permanent visa is valid for travel in/out of Australia for 5 years from date of grant. The various scenarios that you may wish to consider are listed here: Australian Immigration Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Ptlabs Consulting

Regards

Peter

Thanks so much Peter thats really helpful

Archived