Baby - duel nationality?!

Guest chloew

Hello,

We're having a baby which will be born in Melbourne. Does anybody know if it will be entitled to a UK passport and an aussie one?

Thanks

Chloe and Dan

Guest John Sydney

Australian Passport for sure and if the Birth is registered with the British Embassy he should be able to get a British one so long as either parent is British - this may have changed - Australia doesn't recognize dual nationality but millions have it

Hello,

We're having a baby which will be born in Melbourne. Does anybody know if it will be entitled to a UK passport and an aussie one?

Thanks

Chloe and Dan

It depends what visa you are coming on. We are on a 457 and our two children which were born here, so have Aussie birth Certs aren't entitled to anything Aussie including passports.

Hi. Our youngest child was born in Caboolture, Queensland and so has an Australian birth certificate. She is thus entitled to ( and has), an australian passport. I was officially informed at the time that I need do nothing about registering her in the UK (but she was born 1997 and this could have changed). When I applied for her UK passport it was completely straightforward because I hold a British passport. Not long ago Aussie's would not let citizens hold the passport of another nationality but this has changed and duel nationality is accepted. Hope this helps,

Deb

As byo said, if you are a temporary resident then your child will be British and not Australian. If you are permanent then they will be British by descent and AFAIK not able to pass on their British nationality to their children but they can have a GB passport.

Guest treesea

This is from www.citizenship.gov.au

Whether you are an Australian citizen by birth depends on the date of your birth.

People born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986 become Australian citizens by birth if at least one parent is an Australian citizen or a permanent resident at the time of the person’s birth.

A child born in Australia to parents who are not permanent residents or Australian citizens acquires Australian citizenship automatically on his or her 10th birthday provided the child is ordinarily resident in Australia. Children born in Australia to foreign diplomats do not acquire Australian citizenship.

Archived