banking in Oz

Guest hazelandmathew

Guest hazelandmathew

Hiya everyone,

Can anyone tell me which is the best bank to have a current account with in Australia and also which internet provders are both cheap and good

cheers

Haze:emoticon-signxmas:

• 3 weeks later...
Hiya everyone,

Can anyone tell me which is the best bank to have a current account with in Australia and also which internet provders are both cheap and good

cheers

Haze:emoticon-signxmas:

This is such a hard question. Banks and internet providers have such varied offerings that all peopl can really do is give you some they have found....without really knowing if they are the best.

I'll have a crack at it.

Banks:

- The term "current account" is not used here. When I moved to England I didn't know what it meant and after 4 years of living there I still didn't - maybe I'm a bit dim :) We call general accounts "savings accounts" - "maybe" that is the equivalent.

- Generally banks have better services and higher fees and building societies have simpler services and lower fees.

ISP's:

- Best way to pick your ISP is at www.broadbandchoice.com.au. It has info on the most used ISP's and allows you to search using your own price senstitive criteria.

- I use www.iinet.net.au - good naked dsl plans.

- Westnet - great service

- Internode

- Generally stay away from Telstra, Optus and the ma and pa ISP's - worst download limits, speed for price etc.

Hi there

we have just started the process of opening a bank account with commonwealth. we have sent the application plus loads of I.D to their international branch in London.

we are off to melbourne in a few weeks - as long as that darned visa comes through!

you can look on infochoice.com.au for comparisons. we looked at transaction accounts. most have a monthly fee. the big 4 don't really offer interest on your savings but we thought we'd look at that side of things when we arrived and knew how much we had left - if any!

cath

Archived