hubby's name change problem

Guest tandcmum

Guest tandcmum

about 12 years ago my husband changed his name legally so that his surname was the same as his mum's as he has never known his Dad and his original namesake. I remeber him doing it and he went through a solicitor and we had some documentation proving this. Now i have been looking through all our important files to make sure we have everything and I cannot find this documentation anywhere, so now I am left with his birth certificate in his original name and everything else, passport, drivers license, uni certificates, marriage certificate in his new name and i know this is going to be a problem visa wise

does anyone know if there is a register this would have been recorded on when he did it that he can get some sort of proof. I guess he could probably go back to the solicitor who did the name change but i certainly can't remember who it was and i doubt my husband can

help!!!

Guest tandcmum

google is my friend

it doesn't seem to be such a problem, there is a uk deedpoll service online and we can get a deed poll certificate printed to show that he has been using his new name since the year.....

hopefully this will be okay

Guest Mikekat

My birth name was spelt incorrectly by my father who had been summoned to the registry office to register my birth. I changed it legally when i was 18 and all my documents from that age have my proper name, however I too had no documents, showing how my name was changed, to hand when it came time to apply for the Visa. UK deed poll service completed the documents and sent them to me in 24 hours - which showed the change of name - this was witnessed by a friend. No problems with DIAC and they were happy with all my documents and Visa granted.

Incidently - my original documents were found during our packing up our things.

Good luck with your visa, and I'm 100% sure you won't have a problem.

:smilexmas:

Guest tandcmum

i think it was the uk deed poll service i stumbled across on the internet and they have said they can do a deed poll to reflect that he has been known by his new name since a past date which will back up the fact everything including his uni certificates are in his new name whilst his birth certificate and school certificates are in his old name

we too will probably find the original documents when we pack up knowing our luck

Guest CathCol

Hi - I have a 2nd middle name that does not appear on my birth cert or passport but used all through school and nurse training. Pain to use so dropped it. Anyway you can get a statatory declaration from the embassy signed in front of their staff - they also sign date and stamp. It says that you are one and the same person and a brief explanation of reason for difference in name. Costs about £10. I have to have this for my skills assessment with ANMC.

You couls see if this would be acceptable by sending a question to DIAC via email.

Good luck Catherine

Archived