Teaching in oz

Guest wendy6WR

Guest wendy6WR

HI,

Am new to the board and am just at the beginning stages of researching a move to Australia. We are thinking about Victoria but I would like to know what the situation is , with regards to Teaching vacancies for primary school teachers.

Does anyone have any experiences of living and teaching in regional Victoria.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Welcome have a look at the education web site it may help you. As rule jobs are easier to get in rural victoria rather than in Melbourne.

My son is secondary school teacher and he teaches in rural Victoria and has since he left University and he loves it. He would not come back to Melbourne to live.

Department of Education and Early Childhood Development - Education

Being a teacher in the country everyone gets to know you and you are instantly part of a community.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi there

Forgetmenot has a son who is a teacher in Victoria so I am sure she will be able to advise. It seems that there is a lot of supply work and this is usually the way to get in. There are a lot of new schools opening up due to the new estates that are popping up everywhere so i am sure you will get in no problem at all. One of the local schools is currently advertising for 3 teachers but that's because of the time of the year when school is coming to an end.

Guest wendy6WR

Thanks for quick responses.

I have a 3yr daughter and am not sure if rural areas are going to be too small for her. We don't want to live in big cities, we like quieter areas but are the more rural places okay for children?

Thanks for quick responses.

I have a 3yr daughter and am not sure if rural areas are going to be too small for her. We don't want to live in big cities, we like quieter areas but are the more rural places okay for children?

Sure, by more rural they mean smaller towns and some of them are perfectly lovely. They dont mean "school of the air" type isolation just places like Echuca, Ararat, Hamilton, Orbost, Bright, Beechworth etc. There's loads of them. If teaching is your main income then you will be fine if you can get a job but if it is a second income then those places dont always have a good employment prospect for other occupations.

Archived