We're new and looking for honest opinions!! ;-)

Guest wispa23

Guest wispa23

Hello pomsinoz!!!!! Ok I posted this in the welcome forum but I'll post it here too!!

We're Nicole and Jamie - Twentysomethings moving to Melbourne or Perth in June 2009!!!

Wanted to say hello to everyone here - looks like a really lively site and I'm hoping to get stuck into contributing in these forums....

A bit about us then ................

We have graduated, are currently working in Barcelona, Spain... Im (Nicole) a Junior Human Resources Consultant and my partner Jamie is Semi- Professional Field Hockey Player and both fanatical about photography hehehe.......

We're looking now somewhere to settle and build our future and all that.... we have travelled the East Coast of Oz and thought it was a beautiful country with great people. We're looking towards Melbourne or Perth as a great place for my job in HR and for Jamie's hockey career, the ever so friendly people and the lifestyle!!!

As this is a VICTORIA forum il ask about Melbourne - So I'm just wondering is Melbourne very big and very busy or are there quieter areas outside that's easy to commute from?? Are the people friendly and is it easy enough to meet people???

Ahhhhhh Scary stuff but I hope you can all help ...... Put down your positive and Negative comments ........ Pure Honesty :winkxmas:

Come say HI!!!!!! :notworthy:

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Nicole and Jamie

Welcome to PIO!!!

There is much to love about Melbourne. It would be hard to know where to start. Melbourne has everything from a staggering choice of restaurants, funky boutiques, café-filled laneways, cool bars, unbeatable galleries, luscious parks and village-like inner suburbs, each with its own special character.

There is still much development going on especially around the Docklands.

Melburnians embrace three things in particular:

Sport (Australian Rules football is almost a religion);

Fashion (the look is chic with a dash of quirky); and

Festivals (the calendar is packed year round).

I think as you are a young couple there will be so many more opportunities for you in Melbourne for both work and pleasure.

Yes, our weather may not be as warm as the other states but in a way that is good, believe me when we have our 40 degree days it is to over bearing and then everyone is complaining it is too hot.

In regards to your questions yes Melbourne is large and there are some areas that are really busy, but these are areas that you will probably prefer in and around the city.

Everyone is friendly in Melbourne and whatever your culture your welcomed with open arms.

Good luck with your move whichever state you choose:wubclub:

hi there , just thought id say hello to you both and good luck for where you decide, were heading perth , mainly because of family, but , if we weren't id prob try victoria me thinks, though were not in your age cat and we have a different lifestyle to lead, so not much help , just hi from us!

Guest The Pom Queen
hiya im rachael 23 gaz 29 and 2 very small kids we got r visas today this site is so nice very useful welcome dont no were tp live thou i love shopping so do my girls fella is a plasterer

CONGRATULATIONS on the visa, you must be very happy!!!!! What a wonderful Christmas present. There are lots of plastering jobs around at the moment so your OH should have no problem getting in to work.

Have you a date set for coming over?

Kate:emoticon-signxmas:

Hi I'm 29 and hubby is 33 and we have just moved to Geelong (just down the coast from Melbourne) Vic so far is gorgeous, just beautiful and Melbourne is a good vibrant place to be.

However, the commuting is pretty hectic especially if you would be driving, and the trains can get pretty crowded. Quite a few people who live down here in Geelong do the commute because Geelong is cheaper and quieter and I've found its really friendly. Don't get me wrong Melb is as well but everyone is a bit more chilled out in Geelong. Its a bit industrial in parts but the city centre and suburbs are quiet and beautiful. Check out my web site if you want to see some pics.

Anyway long and short of it is I really like Melb (lots of others don't mind you) but it is a big city and has the congestion and commuting challenges that go with it. But there are loads of little areas outside which are a bit quieter which you could commute into Melb from, and which still have good restaurants, cafe's (not so hot on bars) and clubs. As well as going east down the sububan sprawl of Melb you can also head south west (past the suburbs) and down towards Geelong, surf coast and the Bellarine.

Hi,

I am not usually one to post a negative comment, but since you mentioned it, here goes!!

You mention the friendly people, however I find Melbourne the most unfriendly part of Australia. I am sure many others will disagree, which of course is fine.

I have lived in Brisbane and Sydney previously and found the people in Brisbane to be fantastic. They were so willing to help and very welcoming. I was also in Perth for a short time and loved the people over there, on a few occassions people went out of their way to be nice and helpful to my wife and I. I have spoken to a few people regarding this and it seems to be quite a common opinion that Melbourne has this problem, I put it down to the miserable weather. I know I am always happier when the sun is shining!!!!

Although Melbourne is a fantastic city, and I love living here, I do find the people to be the one negative (and possibly the weather). So much so that we are planning on heading up to Queensland in the next year or so.

DSL

Although Melbourne is a fantastic city, and I love living here, I do find the people to be the one negative (and possibly the weather). So much so that we are planning on heading up to Queensland in the next year or so.

DSL

After living in Scotland for most of my life you will never see me complaining about Melbournes weather.

:wacko:

If you notice I said the people in geelong were really friendly not Melbourne. Not that the Melburnians aren't nice people, they all seem pretty decent people BUT they all also seem more busy and harrassed than those in the countryside. Geelong people are really friendly and can't do enough to help you.

Guest treesea
After living in Scotland for most of my life you will never see me complaining about Melbournes weather.

:wacko:

Lol, you must have lived on the west coast over here. We came back here partly to escape Melbourne weather, and to the east coast of Scotland because we were chasing the sea and the sun, which Edinburgh turns on in abundance, even in winter. I've been colder in Melbourne in winter than here in Edinburgh. No more howling gales, or trees breaking in front of us on the way home. No hail the size of gobstoppers. That's one thing about Australia - if you like exciting weather, it's definitely a great place to live.

Guest wispa23

Hi all thank you for all your posts!!! shermans down under I'm going to your website now to se how you've been getting on!!!! Thank you all .... Think we're steering more towards Perth atm but we might change our minds!!!! I'l keep you all posted!!! ;-)

If you notice I said the people in geelong were really friendly not Melbourne. Not that the Melburnians aren't nice people, they all seem pretty decent people BUT they all also seem more busy and harrassed than those in the countryside. Geelong people are really friendly and can't do enough to help you.

Hi,

I did notice on your post that you were refering to people from Geelong. I was, however, commenting on the the previous post from Moving2melbourne as she finds the people here friendly and also offering my opinion to the original poster.

I have been down to Geelong a few times and find it a beutiful place, far nicer than Melbourne. We had actually hoped to live in Geelong initially, however once we got jobs we had no option but to live nearer the city.

I have lived and worked in other cities in Australia and found the people to be far more friendly and helpful than those in Melbourne, so its not just a country thing. My wife and I both work interstate and have found that it is a common belief that the people in Melbourne are less friendly and generally more rude.

And before anyone starts. I am not whinging about it, I am merely passing on my opinion. I do love it here in Melbourne, I just choose not to mix much with the locals or venture into the city much. I find if you stay to the west of the Westgate Bridge it is far nicer.

Glad you are enjoying life in Geelong

DSL

Guest redross76

Hi

We are Moving to Victoria/Melbourne Caroline 35 although need to be in Aus by 14th March 09 which will make me 36 and Ross 32, Oliver will be 7 just after we arrive 18th March and Emily 3 Christmas Day this year. This will be our last Christmas and at the moment its dark and dreary, so hoping the Weather is considerabelly better than over here.

We would love to meet up with as many of you as possible as I have never been to Australia and this is a big move for me but excited apprehensive and every other emotion all rolled into one.

Should be completing on th house Jan 09 and leaving UK sometime in February 09.

Would love to hear from anyone in the same boat.

Merry Christmas to all xxxx

Archived