Renting a property with an in-ground pool - Help!!

Guest dakrichards

Guest dakrichards

Hi all,

I'm considering renting a property with an in-ground pool in one of Melbourne's southeastern suburbs. I've never had any experience with owning/maintaining a pool before so I don't want to make a huge mistake here. Could I get some advice on this? I couldn't find a decent forum for Australian pool owners, so I had to put it here. Here are some of my questions:

1) Most importantly, how much will it cost me in maintenance? The pool is about the size of the second picture in the webpage below. Found a website that says it's about AU450 per year in chemicals, water, filters, bills, etc. Coming from a pool maintenance website, I'm hesitant to believe this.

Swimming Pools > Australia

I guess I'm willing to put in time to keep the cost down, as opposed to hiring pool cleaning companies.

2) If there are any issues with cracking, pump not working or filters, will the landlord normally cover the expenses? I know I'll have to double-check the agreement later. But, what is the norm?

3) What condition should the pool be when I move in? At the moment it's got quite a bit of algae & I can't see the bottom. Is this a big warning sign? The water is pretty full & so I'm assuming there shouldn't be any cracks. Should the landlord get the pool in order before I move in?

4) Anything else I should be aware of?

My wife and I are pretty excited about getting a place with a pool to entertain our friends. But we want to be sure it's something that we can manage.

Cheers!!!

There are relatively easy to maintain once you get head around which chemical is which and what levels each should be at. It dosnt help in rainy season ,lol,as the rain can affect it. Have you asked the rental agent if someone is willing to give a rundown on arrival, im sure they wont mind. They should also tell you who is responsible for what (cost wise). I personally would want it sparkling and stabilised for when i took over the lease ,you would then be expected to have it in the same condition when you vacate. I would also ask if the owner has ever had any problems with the pool ,especially phosphate levels ,which turn it green quickly and can be a nightmare to get rid of if left to long.

Another option until you do get to grips with everything is to use a private pool maintance company ,your local pool shop (when you arrive) should be able to recommend someone. They will come round on a regular basis to test and check everything.

Overall you will be fine ,have a look at www.zodiac.com.au as they have a great website and help forum and have just launched a 'pool school' which i find helpful sometimes.

Good Luck and enjoy,

Cal x

The pool should be in good condition when you move in, especially if you are paying good rent. Speak with the agent, as a previous post mentioned, they would expect you to sort the pool out before you moved out, not leave it that way, so they should sort it out for you.

We had a pool converted to salt water, they are easier to maintain, and much nicer to swim in (that's if you are looking to buy a house with a pool later!) It's deciding whether it's worth it to have a pool in Melbourne given the changing of the seasons where there is limited use of it unless it is heated. However, I heard today that it could be 30C Christmas Day, so it might come in handy after xmas lunch!!!

Archived