Waiting for connecting flight at Changi Airport

Guest blackjack041

Guest blackjack041

We are just about to finalise booking our flights with Singapore Airlines and are considering the 8 hour wait at Changi airport. It looks like this is the best plan for us, as we have our ticktets reserved, just need to pay for them now! Has anyone spent 6+ hours at the airport with 3 young children? What are your experiences? Did you get a room at the transit hotel or is it really not worth it? Our kids are 4, 7 and 9.

Thanks

Pete.

Guest guest17301

Hi Pete, glad to see your plans taking shape! When do you fly? We have a 12 hour stop and have booked a room at the transit hotel, I'd say it's a good idea with little ones, at the very least you can let the kids run around in the room while you shower etc., you might even get some sleep! It's reasonably priced too and you book in 6 hour slots

Hope this helps

Fiona

Guest blackjack041

Hey Fiona, plans are slowly taking place. Spent 30 mins speaking to Diac last week trying to trace how our visa was progressing. Apparently now got a new case officer (not sure what happened to the other one) but at least it is now hopefully progressing. The school has nomination approval which is awesome.

We reckon that we will only be in the hotel for about 6 hours. Is it really worth it only for that? Especially as we will have to fit in eat time in that. We would have between 4pm and check-in time. Decisions decisions.... true about the showering etc tho!

How about yourself? Got that visa yet?

Pete

Guest guest17301

I reckon it's worth it Pete, for us anyway, can't predict how the kids will behave on the flight and if they don't sleep 6 hours in the airport is a long time! Hoping ours will sleep in the room. For how much it costs I think it's worth it.

Still no visa, lodged 3 weeks ago..hope to hear something soon!

Guest blackjack041

Yeah I think you might be right, still time to think about at least! Yeah we lodged ours on 19 Oct now... it has been a long wait! I reckon it's a psychological test devised immigration, lol! Apparently there is loads to do in the airport!

We stayed at the transit hotel last December for about 14hrs so was definately worth it for us (although no kids so can't help you with what's best there), but i'd day it's a good option - as someone else also said that you can book in 6hour blocks. There's also a swimming pool you can use at the airport which was full of kids when we were there. It does close late at night (I think after 11pm) and is only a small pool but looked like a good idea to give the kids a dip after such a long flight.

I believe that there are shower facilities you can pay to use at the airport (by the transit hotel) even if you don't book into a room also.

Lots of great shopping and good food court too!

c

Guest stokebloke

Hi Pete,

Going from my past reccie to perth, Changi airport is absolutley brilliant with loads to do. Granted i didnt have children with me but honestly there is loads of stuff to do, see and lounge about, the children wouldnt be out of place running around plus they do have a couple play areas and childrens tv lounges with massive sofa settee type loungers, outside areas with cafes etc etc. Really well catered for families and children. I would say save the £100 or so for the room and spoil the children with the money, it will be far more pleasureble.

Its probably a couple of times bigger than heathrow (well it seemed that way anyway)

I know wot i will be doing once my turn comes

Good luck mate

paul

Guest treesea

We've spent 8 hours in Changi waiting for a connecting flight with young children. We didn't get a room in the transit hotel because it was an expense at the time we didn't want, but in the aftermath I regretted not doing it, because by the time we got to our final destination we were exhausted. It took us three days to recover. I think a six hour stint would be well worth the money.

Archived