Fishing today

Guest Working to fish

Guest Working to fish

Weather man got it wrong today for caloundra ,was said that it was going to rain cats and dogs all day with strong winds. So the boat stayed at home all day .

I got myself some new jiggs today and went fishing for live bait ,and what a day i had ,loads of live bait followed bt 8 good fish mostly bream all with in a good size ,the best fish of the day was pulled in by a guy next to me ,a 74cm flat head.

eddie:jimlad:

Guest Working to fish
sounds good, whereabout were you fishing, what rig and bait wre you using?

i need to stop using prawns all the time as they're just ripping them off as soon as the bait hits the water

Hi Paul i was fishing off the coast guards jetty again ,the rig was just $3 from the fishing shop ,a jig well worth the money ,had prawns at 1st until the bait fish came around right on the turn of the tide ,then it was live bait for the rest of the day. After today for me live bait is the way to go .

I tried fishing at the spot were you fish lasted tuesday and watched an old guy pull in a very nice 65cm plus Travelly.

eddie

Guest Working to fish
They are anitemare in Wa soon as you find they are about its either move or pack up ( the buggas give a nasty sting as well)

Mally

Also Paul from your post last week about that odd fish you got ,i am sure i see one today around the jetty ,the old guy there (local) told me the name of it ,but buggered if i can recal it now.

eddie

ahhh that's promising, thanks eddie :) what was the fella that got the travelly using?

i've just been using a sinker - swivel - hook setup with a couple of prawns.

I'm really a noob to all this so any advice is great :)

I`m in the same boat paul (sorry for pun lol) I`m a freshwater match angler sold my tackle wish i Hadnt would love to sit on the groyne with me 14 metre pole and wait for the reaction lol

Mally

Guest Working to fish
ahhh that's promising, thanks eddie :) what was the fella that got the travelly using?

i've just been using a sinker - swivel - hook setup with a couple of prawns.

I'm really a noob to all this so any advice is great :)

The old fellas there were fishing with light sinkers ,with double hook . large hooks can remember hook size at mo ,but bigger than i have been fishing ,they also were fishing with live bait .The last couple of weeks i have been asking the guys at the jetty's for advice as i to don't know all that much and the tips they have giving me are working.

eddie

Guest Working to fish
you may laught but i don't really know what jigging means, whats a jig?

I just know i'm going to feel stupid lol

lol your not telling me you been fishing pelican waters and not seen the locals jigging.

eddie

you may laught but i don't really know what jigging means, whats a jig?

I just know i'm going to feel stupid lol

North sea rig home made 6 or 7 inch chrome tube filled with lead drilled both ends swivel one end and a treble the other some blokes put a earlswood sorry muppet on the hook attach it to your line drop it a few hundred fathoms preferably over a wreck( where best cod are) and when hits bottom wind in about 4 foot then start jigging up and down strike and lower for a better term you need arms like garth but can be productive. The Aussie commercial jiggers are light and more expensive

Maly

Guest Working to fish
lol i have been having a sneaky look but didn't want to look stupid and ask too much.

Just saw they had some kind of setup with two or three inline hooks.... i really need to do some googling it sounds like

Best $3 i have spent so far ,its basically a line with about 6 hooks and you add a sinker . Drop it off the side of the jetty and jigg it up and down a few times ,if the bait fish are there you can catch 2 or 3 in one go.

eddie

i got passed looking stupid and now just ask the locals whats best lol

Best $3 i have spent so far ,its basically a line with about 6 hooks and you add a sinker . Drop it off the side of the jetty and jigg it up and down a few times ,if the bait fish are there you can catch 2 or 3 in one go.

eddie

Sounds a lot less strenuous than with a lump of lead filled chrome but same principle

eddie

You use feathers in the same way on the north sea for herring (baitfish) 6 or 8 on a line used to get oodles

Mally

Guest Working to fish
You use feathers in the same way on the north sea for herring (baitfish) 6 or 8 on a line used to get oodles

Mally

yep for got to say theses,s have little feathers on the hooks ,the locals also told me that the fish bite on the jig when it is on its way down .

Well happy to now be a jigger and will not leave home with out it.

eddie

eddie

ahhh that makes sense, think i'll set myself up when in the bait shop tomorrow!

so next question, what do i use for a live bait rig and what fish are good for bait?

Hope you don't mind me hitting you up with all these question, your help is mucho appreicated!!!

Guest brooksey

In six hours four of us caught 16 large deweys about 2 miles out by jigging and wobygongs off reef. Cant remember name of place but rellies have a shack near pinnicles north of Perth. Caught lots of cray fish in ocean off Perth and crabs in river at Mandera. They showed me how to prepare them all. Fish were bloody hard work.

Guest Working to fish
ahhh that makes sense, think i'll set myself up when in the bait shop tomorrow!

so next question, what do i use for a live bait rig and what fish are good for bait?

Hope you don't mind me hitting you up with all these question, your help is mucho appreicated!!!

Small sinker

Hook size with out going to my tackle book i cant think what size (sorry will pm you on this one)

Basically that's all i am doing ,light set up ,light sinker ,large hook ,and leaving my bait runner on .

eddie

But taking advice off me may not be the best thing to do lol ,still learning every time i go fishing. lol

Archived