Calling Home From Oz

Guest NickR

Howdo,

Have now accepted a job in Townsville and got the visa application forms through, so all very scary and exciting at the same time.

One question has sprung to mind - because of work commitments in the UK my wife isn't coming out to Australia with me for the first 6 months. What is the cheapest and easiest way (other than email) to get in touch with family and friends at home in the UK on a regular basis.

Presumably calling home everyday is going to cost a fortune, but there must be a way - any advice?

Cheers

Nick

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi there Nick!

Skype is great as you speak to each other through computers (or phones if you pay for it!) on microphones and it's free!!! (well... other than the internet connection I suppose!)

If you both have access to a computer with the internet definately look at getting skype and some microphones if you don't have them already!

Hope that helps...!!!

Regards and Lots of Luck with the move...!!!

Dan :smile:

Hi Nick,

I phone my daughter everyday, if you have access to a land line you can buy phone cards really cheap, the one I get is the GPS pacific fom woolies it gives 1,200 mins for $20 dollars. There are all different sorts of phone cards.

Hope that helps

Christine

Howdo,

Have now accepted a job in Townsville and got the visa application forms through, so all very scary and exciting at the same time.

One question has sprung to mind - because of work commitments in the UK my wife isn't coming out to Australia with me for the first 6 months. What is the cheapest and easiest way (other than email) to get in touch with family and friends at home in the UK on a regular basis.

Presumably calling home everyday is going to cost a fortune, but there must be a way - any advice?

Cheers

Nick

Thanks guys, I won't have a laptop at first so the phone cards sound like a winner for the first few months - just need to make sure any flat/house I rent has a landline.

Guest WARDStoOZ
Hi Nick,

I phone my daughter everyday, if you have access to a land line you can buy phone cards really cheap, the one I get is the GPS pacific fom woolies it gives 1,200 mins for $20 dollars. There are all different sorts of phone cards.

Hope that helps

Christine

Hi Christine! I heard it was cheap to call the U.K. - that sounds very cheap!!! Thanks for the info...!!!

Regards,

Dan xx

Guest JoanneHattersley

I use OzCall vouchers . I get $10 voucher and that gives me 1800 minutes to the UK! Obviously if you call mobiles it goes down quicker but they are such great value!

I use OzCall vouchers . I get $10 voucher and that gives me 1800 minutes to the UK! Obviously if you call mobiles it goes down quicker but they are such great value!

Must try one of those, thanks for the info Joanne.

Guest Michelle Moseley

Hi Nick!

Definately, phonecards is the way to go for sure! I use joy credit, available at most newsagecies or post offices. (its quite ironic asking for 20dollars worth of joy! lol) Anyway, you just dial the number for the state you are in, then a 12digit code, then for UK its 0044 dropping the first zero of UK area code and away you go!! over 5,000 minutes for less than 20bucks! land line to land line. Have fun! :smile:

Howdo,

Cheers

Nick

Guest 1010ozzy

We are moving to Townsville in Aug 09 but my sister has been in Oz for 28 years!, I ring her all the time from the uk, we are on Orange broadband and that gives us an extra telephone line, we pay £18 a month and that includes all local, national and some international calls, Australia being one of them, to a landline, as long as you dont stay on for longer than 60 mins, but you can just hang up and redial, so that may be worth looking into so your Wife can ring you.

Hope this helps

Dawn

Hi Nick,

Hope that helps

Christine

Fone cards are good value my mrs fones home and its chas and dave rabbit,rabbit,rabbit,rabbit

Mally

Guest WARDStoOZ
Thanks for all the advice, looks like speaking to folks back home should be easy - this forum is brilliant!

This forum sure is Brilliant!!!

Regards,

Guest WARDStoOZ
Try planet fone cards you have to get one off web but good value and BOGOFS

Mally

Hi Mally,

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look...!

Regards,

Archived