Leaving Oz? Did u have recce before going?

Guest Letasha

Guest Letasha

Just wondering if all u guys returning to the UK went on a reccie before deciding to take the plunge and move for good? Im wanting to get a feel for how closely returning to UK is linked to Oz not being what people expected. :unsure:

Whether we take a reccie or not depends on how quickly we get our visas - but i would like to think i could move straight over if need be. Also who would recommend taking one first? Thanks

:wub:

Hi guys, just want to give your thread a bump as I am in the same position as you. I am hoping to go for a recce in March and would also like to here from anyone who has made the big move without visiting

beforehand.

Hopefully a helpful hint - about taking a reccie - sometimes the cost of at least one family member/parent etc is definitely worth it. It is really only when you get in a car/train/bus from one point to another that you realise the vastness of the place, and the differences between the north and the south. I say this because many of my relatives have been over here, and have been bowled over the distances and differences in places, both culture differences and also seasonal/ weather differences i.e. they did not realise that the further north you travel the more tropical the climate becomes. That may seem like a great thing to do to get some 'sunshine', but I have known the humidity to almost keel people over. We have had a situation where my relatives have asked to do a day trip to Sydney from here, and when they find out that it is a 12 hour drive, they are surprised. From here Brisbane is 22 hours, etc. I am sure that most people leaving the UK do much more 'homework' than this, and know about the distances, but it seems to still surprise some people. (Generally, think of the United States, minus Alaska, then you have your size relativity).

I suggested to my cousin that, if possible, a great way to get a feel for the place might be to land in Melbourne, then get a car and drive up the east coast, stopping Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane, and beyond to the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Cairns, etc, even up to Darwin. It is a fabulous drive and you get the idea of distances and the differences in the people and local amenities.

I know that this is not an option for everyone, but if you are going to plan the rest of your life in a place, it might be worth it? Good luck with it all, it is not an easy decision for sure. All the best!

Olly

Melbourne

Guest Guest9973

We made the reccie trip - twice!!!

It was well worth it for us in all sorts of ways.

As well as satisfying our curiosity it did mean that we could start at a faster pace to settle because we had visited before.

I know some cannot afford it but I'd strongly advise that if you can ....DO!

Guest JoanneHattersley

Never been here before. I didnt really do any research on internet either. We have no kids so were up for an adventure!

My theory was "what i didnt know couldnt disappoint me!" Yeah, crazy I know but four years later.................... WORKED FOR ME!"

Guest Guest9973
Never been here before. I didnt really do any research on internet either. We have no kids so were up for an adventure!

My theory was "what i didnt know couldnt disappoint me!" Yeah, crazy I know but four years later.................... WORKED FOR ME!"

It really is an "each to their own " situation.

I noticed your Marmite avatar - I have 3 jars on proud display in the kitchen.A luvverly guest brought me some as a pressie:notworthy:

Guest tandcmum

we are not planning on doing a reccie and have never visited Oz before, however we are treating our move over there as an adventure and a travel experience and not as a permanenet thing forever unless we love it.

We don't own a home in the UK so are not selling up and getting off the property ladder to do this, we basically have no ties in the UK. I always wanted to visit Oz and work there for a while and we have decided just to go for it. We are setting ourselves 2 years, if we love it we stay and make it our home, if we hate it we will come home, simple. We wil probably go over on a 457 visa as that is what most of the hospitals bring nurses over on, and then we can apply for PR after 3 months which we probably wil do.

We have decided that iof we don't do this now, whilst we are still young, the kids are still young etc. we never will and i kow i will regret it for the rest of my life

Guest LX_RV86

We're still in the Uk, and probably will be until next year, but we did a reccie this year for 3 weeks and we all found it really useful! I looked at jobs, mum looked at houses (and typical bloke brother looked at cars!) We visited our agent's house and managed to fit a holiday in there too :) I think if we hadn't have done it we wouldn't have been prepared for a lot of the culture change and our new life would have started on a downer now all that's out the way we know what to expect, who to speak to etc...

Guest Lou.ise
we are not planning on doing a reccie and have never visited Oz before, however we are treating our move over there as an adventure and a travel experience and not as a permanenet thing forever unless we love it.

We don't own a home in the UK so are not selling up and getting off the property ladder to do this, we basically have no ties in the UK. I always wanted to visit Oz and work there for a while and we have decided just to go for it. We are setting ourselves 2 years, if we love it we stay and make it our home, if we hate it we will come home, simple. We wil probably go over on a 457 visa as that is what most of the hospitals bring nurses over on, and then we can apply for PR after 3 months which we probably wil do.

We have decided that iof we don't do this now, whilst we are still young, the kids are still young etc. we never will and i kow i will regret it for the rest of my life

This is exactly my thoughts. Don't expect to much to quick and go with the flow. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Love it we stay, hate it we come back to UK.

Lou.

Guest Letasha

Thanks for your replies!! :wubclub: We we have a daughter and a baby on the way and will have to sell our house. Although this should be really scary we are very calm (well i am the OH is a bit nervous) without ever actually seeing the place we think we will spend the rest of our lives - weird eh. I just think we're still young so may as well go for it. If tho we have to take the long visa route we probably will go over as we will have the time etc.

Keep the replies coming - its great to hear other peoples view. :cool:

Guest juliemtaylor

Hi We would love to spend thousands on a reckie but its going to cost us such a lot to break our fixed rate mortgage early, pay for the sale of the house if we are lucky whilst taking a dive in the amount we sell for and having a family of four. So no can do - we will have to have the spirit of adventure in us. Parents in law (on hols there now for 2 months) and family in Perth have been sending us loads of info instead.

Julie x

Hi guys, I am in a slightly different position as I have not been before but my wife has. So I am going to go on my own for 3 weeks in March and travel up from Sydney to Brisbane. I know thats not very long but its better than nothing and of course much cheaper than the 5 of us going.I am hoping in this time

to check out some schools and the work situation, I might even have to check out a few pubs and bars

purley for information purposes of course. andy

Guest Charlies Angel
Hi We would love to spend thousands on a reckie but its going to cost us such a lot to break our fixed rate mortgage early, pay for the sale of the house if we are lucky whilst taking a dive in the amount we sell for and having a family of four. So no can do - we will have to have the spirit of adventure in us. Parents in law (on hols there now for 2 months) and family in Perth have been sending us loads of info instead.

Julie x

Good on ya! We came here in feb 2008 with no reccie and never been here before! We love it here, big gamble, but it paid off! Good luck!:yes:

Guest WARDStoOZ

Well my mum said to me that if we had a reccie we probably wouldn't be able to afford to emigrate lol so I'll survive without the reccie!

I have been to Oz but I never went thinking that I'd want to live there... so wasn't prepared!

I just loved Australia so much and so, I'm desperate to get there!!!

Dan xx

Guest WARDStoOZ
Hi Dan, what did you love so much about oz and what will you miss about England?

andy

Hi Andy, it's a tough question to answer, I just loved everything about it... the people, the weather, the houses, the beaches, the amazing wildlife, the great barrier reef, the fact that in many ways it's not too different from the U.K. i.e English speaking... I could go on and on and on...

Apart from family and friends I don't think I'll miss anything from the U.K. I'm afraid...!!!

Regards,

Dan :smile:

The things you mentioned you loved are exactly why we think we would love it, and I too do not think

i would miss much about England. The funny thing is 10 years ago I never would have thought about emmigrating but the way everything has changed in England I now cant wait to leave.

andy

Guest WARDStoOZ
The things you mentioned you loved are exactly why we think we would love it, and I too do not think

i would miss much about England. The funny thing is 10 years ago I never would have thought about emmigrating but the way everything has changed in England I now cant wait to leave.

andy

I agree with you there Andy, everything's changed a lot in England but the weather's still crap lol

Dan :smile:

Guest Letasha
Good on ya! We came here in feb 2008 with no reccie and never been here before! We love it here, big gamble, but it paid off! Good luck!:yes:

Thats what i like to hear :notworthy:

Guest treesea

Going over for a holiday would be good, but I'm not sure if people always come to the right conclusion for them about where to live just from doing a recce. For instance, I was amazed to see people on another post recommending Point Cook (a Melbourne suburb) as a good place to live and representing value for money. When I saw this, I just couldn't stop laughing. It's not only on the doorstep of the Australian Air force base, so quite noisy - a bit like Findhorn up here is Scotland - but it's also just upwind from one of the largest sewage treatment plants in Australia, at Werribee. No one in their right mind would buy a house there - it would be like living in Seafield in Edinburgh - i.e. on the doorstep of our local treatment plant.

If you do go for a recce, I recommend checking out Dunedin, in NZ, as well as Australia. More Scottish than Scotland, very friendly, and a great place to live.

Guest spadgersdad

We did a reccie three years ago before we came over.We hired a motorhome and went from the Gold Coast upto Cairns , we had nearly four weeks to do it in. Until then we had never been to Oz so it was well worth it . If you can afford it I would say do the reccie.

We've been in Perth a week now & I am very glad we did our reccie, without it we'd have had no idea where to enrol DS in school or which suburbs to look for a rental - our idea's based on internet searching were way off the mark and our reccie was quite traumatic, I'm pleasad to say so far everything is exceeding our expectations.

For us it is pretty much a one-way street, we couldn't afford to do the move twice and I wouldn't want to disrupt DS twice so we had to be as sure as we could be.

I'd totally say do a reccie if you possibly can, it's a lot cheaper than returning to the UK!

Jules x

It depends on what you do on your reccy, if you do the holiday mode stuff you don`t get a real persective, instance roads great freeway no crowds makesme laudh if you dont get on the freeway before 630 then its crawl. Gaffer put me on 8 - 4 puts 20 mins on journey and i`m on abike whit lining and all sorts in a car woul be much longer.Like oh says we cane blind and winged it and avent done bad although she still does not know north from south gets lost going to the shops lol

Mally

Archived