points score? confused!!!

Tids

Hi All, Does anyone know about the points test for the 175 visa? I am 35 and a qualified Fabricator/Welder with 15yrs experience but only scored 95 need 120!! i only lost 10 points due to not working in my trade for last 5yrs how can i get more points??

Cheers Craig

Guest harrison family

Hi

You could always be sponsored by a state !! I think it adds at least another 10 points ! or if you have family that can add another 5 points if they sponsor you or see if you could get a employer in oz to sponsor you !

Good Luck

Sallie

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi All, Does anyone know about the points test for the 175 visa? I am 35 and a qualified Fabricator/Welder with 15yrs experience but only scored 95 need 120!! i only lost 10 points due to not working in my trade for last 5yrs how can i get more points??

Cheers Craig

Hi Craig

Panic not. The subclass 175 visa is one of 9 skilled worker visas for Oz. We have not even considered the other 8 as yet.

Your total is probably right, subject to two queries:

Specific Work Experience: You say you have not been working as a welder but have you been doing something which is (a) closely related to welding and (b) on the SOL? If yes and yes, then that 10 points may be OK?

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175)

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf

MODL Points: I take it you are sure that you cannot claim those?

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175)

But I don't think it is worth bashing your brains out if a 175 visa will not pony up easily and quickly.

Let us have a look at the subclass 176 visa next, I suggest:

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)

The 176 visa only requires 100 points. At the moment your score is 95 but if you sit the IELTS and achieve not less than 7.0 in each of the four modules then you will gain an extra 10 points, making your total 105 and taking you past Go!

IELTS: International English Language Testing System

Do you have any rellies in Oz who would be eligible to sponsor you and willing to do so?

Rellies can be living anywhere in Oz with this visa, and you can live anywhere you like in Oz on a family sponsored 176, plus do whatever you want when you get there. However rellies are not worth any points for the 176 visa so if you have an eligible relly who sponsors you, you would have to get the extra 10 points via the IELTS.

If no rellies, the next option is State Nomination for the 176. State Nomination is worth 10 points, so it saves doing the IELTS. With the exception of the ACT, applying for State Nomination is free. NSW does not nominate applicants relying on trade skills for the 176. But Welder is on the skills in demand list for almost every other State.

The deal with the 176 visa is that you agree to live and work in the relevant State for 2 years when you first move to Oz. You can live wherever you like in the State and do whatever job you want - it does not have to be the occupation that got you the visa. You can be self-employed with an ice cream cart on the beach if you wish.

You undertake that you will complete 4 very simple questionnaires during the first 2 years. These are not a Big Brother thing. They are solely feedback to the State Migration people so that they can see how you are settling and so forth. They send them once every 6 months. It is no sweat.

Moving on to potential State Nomination, have you any idea which State you want to move to because you are on almost all of the 176 Lists?

Each State has its own State Migration website and they are usually good. They are stuffed with links about different parts of the State, house prices, the State Education Department etc etc.

Let us take QLD as an example. Their website is a scruffy pain unless you remember that the State Migration website is called "Work Live Play."

Work Live Play

You are after the bumph for the Skilled Sponsored 176 visa, not the stuff for the Skilled Regional Sponsored 475 visa, OK? Same with all of the other States.

Skilled Sponsored Eligible Skills List

As you can see, Welder is on the list.

Skilled sponsored visa

Click on the link for the Skilled Sponsored visa and it takes you to the form.

The SRS 475 visa is a provisional visa. The SS 176 visa gives Permanent Residency from Day One. Please make sure that you check the correct list and then follow the links to the correct form. Also, check the licencing requirements for QLD in particular because they seem to insist that you get them.

You literally eligible for, I think, every State except NSW for the 176 visa.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived