How is the defacto visa processed?

Guest Faye&Matt

Guest Faye&Matt

Does anyone know the order of how the visa is processed? We've received our supporting documents back the day after we've received our c/o and were told we had to submit police checks. Does this mean that our visa has finished being processed and everything is fine apart from the police checks and then once they have been returned then it will be granted immediately after? Or does it mean that they have taken a note of the supporting things like photos, notes, invitations, etc and once the police checks have been returned then they will begin processing and could then ask for further supporting evidence or an interview, etc? thanks!

Guest The Hoys hoping.........

Hi Faye and Matt,

I would assume that as they have sent your documents back and they haven't asked you for any further information, that is all they need, apart from meds, unless you have already sent them.

Spouse visa's(uncomplicated ones anyway!) are usually issued within 2-3 weeks, if not sooner.

I am sure you will be fine, fingers crossed!

Good luck :-)

Guest Faye&Matt

Hi, thanks for the reply. We were hoping that we would get it issued within 2-3 weeks but they have just asked us for Australian police checks which, due to very misleading information on the immi site, we didn't get in advance which had we realized we needed we would have done. Its going to add at least another month onto the application which is why I wanted to know if once they got those back it was just a matter of saying thats fine and we've got the visa or if that is when they will begin to go through our application?

Guest slipshot

Aus police check takes about 20 days door to door or it did with me, from and to the UK. Thus sooner you get it off the better, with an AUD cheque included to expedite the process.

Interesting on the misleading information - was it that you did not think that holidays counted? For me, I thought it was very clear that basically any entry into Australia counted as time in Australia, and if this added up to over 12 months in the ten year period, a police check was required, or was there something else?

Aussie police check came back almost immediately. British one took about two weeks (it may have been quicker as I was back in the UK for a visit when I sent that paperwork)

Guest Faye&Matt

I honestly think it was misleading and my partner did as well. I suppose it is how different people interpret things I guess. I also spoke to an agent a while ago and he said that he didn't think we'd need one which is I think why we're so surprised that we do need one. We've sent it off to his mother so she can put an AUD cheque in since my bank told us they didn't do checks in Aussie dollars so rather than wasting time finding somewhere we could get one we just sent it to her and she'll post it off. Hopefully it won't take too long. We just got our UK police check back today so hopefully we'll get it back in 20 days like Slipshot did.

Archived