Best airline baggage allowance?

Guest 5x4_inches

Guest 5x4_inches

Hi Everyone,

We'll be flying out from the UK to Perth to start a more mellow way of life on the 7th of January:biggrin:

I've picked up reading through other posts that some airlines may allow an additional bagage allowance for migrants arriving in Oz. I've checked out the Qantas website but cannot see this mentioned anywhere.

Does anyone know which airlines offer this and how to get the allowance upgraded? It'll be a big help as the container with the rest of our belongings won't arrive until the end of March!

Many thanks in advance!

...Pete

Guest hazel and dave

Hi Pete,

When we booked our tickets, Qantas did offer a 'special' migrant fare with 40kg of luggage, but I don't think you could stop anywhere. Emirates gave us 40kg at no extra cost.... worth a try maybe.

Happy hunting

I read that Emirates were no longer offering the extra baggage allowance uncless you booked through something else (and for the life of me I can't remember what it was - think it was something like moving planet).

What you are best doing is contacting the airlines directly and asking them - email then you get a written response (which we took as proof when we checked in - but didn't need).

Singapore normally offer increased baggage of 40kg providing your visa is a PR one (457 is classed as a temporary visa and not included for example), and that your visa has not been validated previously. It used to say that there were to be no stopovers but don't know if this is still true.

Hope this helps

Ali

Guest julie2g1b

hiya we have just come back from perth on singapore i do have a tip for you put all your clothes in with the shipping and only fill your cases with shorts and t-shirts, you will only need 2 or 3 jumpers one pair of jeans and under wear this is more than enough..........

the reason i say this is we were aloud 20kg each we had 3 very large cases weighed 30kg each and a back pack plus 5 large bags for hand lugage we wore our big thick coats to go in plus t-shirt jumper jeans and boots lol yes we were only going for 2 weeks but still had way to much stuff, had enough clothes to last a month without wearing the same and there are plenty of shops in perth which are cheap if you need a few extra items of clothes till your shipping arrives..............

with you going that time of yr all you will wear is shorts and tshirts

so if you cant get the extra allowance just an idea for you

julie :wubclub:

Guest The Pom Queen

Singapore seem to be the only ones who will allow this now without extra charge (subject to conditions). Emirates have stopped doing it and Quantas have introduced the migrant ticket so they can make more money out of you!!!

I can highly recommend Singapore Airlines, they offer a first class service!!

Guest 5x4_inches

Thanks to everyone for all the good advice - the airlines don't go out of their way to publish this information! It looks like I'll get in touch with Singapore and Qantas and see what they can do for us. Good point about not needing to take too many winter clothes though as we will be arriving at the start of a very long summer. Hopefully our warm things will arrive in time for the less warm part of the year! We'll be moving into unfurnished rental accomodation after the first month, so it looks like we'll be filling our suitcases with enamel plates & mugs, towels, etc. LOL! All part of the adventure...

Many thanks again, Pete

Guest harrison family

hi

My sister used singapore airlines and they allowed 40kg pp we have flown with them and they were great they even booked a 2 and 4 for 5 of us so we had more room with the kids. Singapore airport is sooooo nice aswell. We will definatley be using them.

good luck

Sallie

Guest jogrant3232

WE flew with Singapore a couple of weeks back and got the 40 kgs plus 7kgs hand luggage,i am sure you can pick up the stuff you need to get through untill your container arrives cheaply enough, we got the bare essentials from IKEA and are still waiting on our container,

PS where about in Perth you heading

Guest slipshot

Interesting - firstly Emirates ARE still offering the additional allowance if you are a migrant and have the proof. Their allowance is a lovely 50kg per person. Sounds great - hhhmmm?

In addition, I found this out using the moving planet site, which I was going to ask questions about anyway, since I was looking into this today.

Here's the link for the Emirates page

http://fly.emirates.com/CUGO/CUGOLandingPage.aspx?j=t&promocode=UKmove1&cid=

BUT

I've been getting quotes on one way flights in Jan - and for the 5 of us, they average out at between £3-4,000 in the cheap seats. Do the same thing via the Emirates site with the additional baggage allowance and, no joke, the flights costs came to a total of £8,800. For economy.

Which make the additional 50kg rather blinkin' expensive, and a total joke. Business class only pushed the price up to a total of £10,500 so it was almost worth doing that - if I had 10k spare!

So, the deal is there - but it's not really worth it.

Hi, We sent a large suitcase a head of us with a company called personal porter.

Personal Porter - Quotation Results

It cost approx £180 and was collected from us a few days before we flew and arrived, safe and sound in Melbourne exactly when it was due. It was certainly cheaper than flying with a company who offers larger baggage allowance. Hope this helps. Jo

Interesting - firstly Emirates ARE still offering the additional allowance if you are a migrant and have the proof. Their allowance is a lovely 50kg per person. Sounds great - hhhmmm?

In addition, I found this out using the moving planet site, which I was going to ask questions about anyway, since I was looking into this today.

Here's the link for the Emirates page

http://fly.emirates.com/CUGO/CUGOLandingPage.aspx?j=t&promocode=UKmove1&cid=

BUT

I've been getting quotes on one way flights in Jan - and for the 5 of us, they average out at between £3-4,000 in the cheap seats. Do the same thing via the Emirates site with the additional baggage allowance and, no joke, the flights costs came to a total of £8,800. For economy.

Which make the additional 50kg rather blinkin' expensive, and a total joke. Business class only pushed the price up to a total of £10,500 so it was almost worth doing that - if I had 10k spare!

So, the deal is there - but it's not really worth it.

SO BASICALLY WHAT YOU ARE SAYING IS THAT EMIRATES DO NOT OFFER THE EXTRA LUGGAGE ALLOWANCE AS STANDARD ...BUT IF YOU PAY EXTRA YOU CAN HAVE 50KGS ??? ......MORE OR LESS WHAT I SAID IN MY PREVIOUS POST !!!

MRS KEILY :err:

Guest slipshot
SO BASICALLY WHAT YOU ARE SAYING IS THAT EMIRATES DO NOT OFFER THE EXTRA LUGGAGE ALLOWANCE AS STANDARD ...BUT IF YOU PAY EXTRA YOU CAN HAVE 50KGS ??? ......MORE OR LESS WHAT I SAID IN MY PREVIOUS POST !!!

MRS KEILY :err:

Eh - other than shouting at me, and after I have returned the few toys to the pram, I think you probably need to read what I've written.

I think my post clearly says Emirates DO offer the extra luggage allowance but only if you book it as an emigration flight. I doubt few, if any airlines, are going to let you just turn up and say you need the extra, or if you do, you'd be getting lucky, as would anyone want to turn up to an airport with 50kg and 'hope' they do not get charged the excess baggage. Virtually everyone will have contract the airline prior to flying to see if it could be achieved.

What you said in your previous post was

"emirates are no longer offering extra luggage allowance if booked via website"

which is not the case. The irony is that they do still offer emigration flights booked via the web but the costs are stupid. That is not charging you for excess baggage as your note above outlines. Anyone can pay extra and have 40, 50 or 60kgs if they want to. And this would be a lot cheaper than paying for emigration flights.

Maybe that helps clarify things...

Guest 5x4_inches

Interesting! We've decided to take a standard cheap flight with Singapore (flight booked for 7th Jan!) and take as much as we can within the 20 kg per person limit. We'll buy anything else we need as and when the need arises. After all, such things should not be allowed to spoil the great adventure!

Very interested to hear about the Personal Porter service though, will definitely check that out!

Best regards to all!

...Pete

eh - other than shouting at me, and after i have returned the few toys to the pram, i think you probably need to read what i've written.

I think my post clearly says emirates do offer the extra luggage allowance but only if you book it as an emigration flight. I doubt few, if any airlines, are going to let you just turn up and say you need the extra, or if you do, you'd be getting lucky, as would anyone want to turn up to an airport with 50kg and 'hope' they do not get charged the excess baggage. Virtually everyone will have contract the airline prior to flying to see if it could be achieved.

What you said in your previous post was

"emirates are no longer offering extra luggage allowance if booked via website"

which is not the case. The irony is that they do still offer emigration flights booked via the web but the costs are stupid. That is not charging you for excess baggage as your note above outlines. Anyone can pay extra and have 40, 50 or 60kgs if they want to. And this would be a lot cheaper than paying for emigration flights.

Maybe that helps clarify things...

sorry if you think im shouting but i always type in caps !!! .....i think we are both correct here ... The op imo was asking about extra luggage allowance without having to pay anymore ...and im correct in saying emirates do not offer that service anymore .... They stopped it at the end of sept .... But .... If you wish to pay extra you can take as much as you want ... I do believe though if you book it through moving planet website you can still get the 50kg allowance ... As posted by another pio member .... As far as im aware signapore airlines are the only ones at the mo who allow 40kg as long as you provide proof that you are going to validate visa ...as posted by another pio member

mrs keily

Guest pontings gone!

I generally agree you should go with minimal stuff clothes wise. Perth is a very hot place and you won't need many clothes. We went to Perth last October and 'made do' with hardly any clothes and IKEA stuff for 7 months!

You could always try the North America route which we have used twice in the past before going to Australia. A lot more expensive but you used two get 2 peices at 32K each therefore 128K for two adults. Those examples were based on going to Sydney/Melbourne so that option doesn't go well with Perth.

Why not go to somewhere else other than Perth? It's a pretty dull place and very isolated. I've lived in Perth, Canberra, Melbourne and Sydney and would rate Perth defintely in the bottom 2 of those places to live. I've visited Adelaide 2/3 times and much more cultural than Perth.

Guest graham c
Hi Everyone,

We'll be flying out from the UK to Perth to start a more mellow way of life on the 7th of January:biggrin:

I've picked up reading through other posts that some airlines may allow an additional bagage allowance for migrants arriving in Oz. I've checked out the Qantas website but cannot see this mentioned anywhere.

Does anyone know which airlines offer this and how to get the allowance upgraded? It'll be a big help as the container with the rest of our belongings won't arrive until the end of March!

Many thanks in advance!

...Pete

Hi Pete

I had the following emails from emirates and singapore recently hope these help:

Singapore - Passengers emigrating to Australia are entitled to double baggage allowance providing they are holding the correct visa.

The visa must be an unused/unstamped migrant visa that statesto remain in Australia indefinitely. If you are holding this visa you will be entitled to double baggage allowance on production of the visa at check in.

You can have as many items of luggage as you wish providing no one single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight. This is a health and safety requirement.

If you are not holding the correct visa mentioned above then the checked baggage allowance would be 20 kilos.

Singapore Airlines policy on cabin baggage allows you to carry one item of cabin baggage only, per passenger, which must not weigh more than 7 kilos and must not exceed 115cm in dimensions (height + depth + width). Apart from your 7 kilos, you can also carry any one personal item as mentioned below :

A lady’s handbag

An overcoat

An umbrella or walking stick

A laptop or notebook computer

A small camera

A reasonable amount of reading material for the flight

Emirates - We currently have a promotion running with www.movingplanet.net which gives you an entitlement of 30kgs extra baggage allowance, that's 50kgs in total. You can access details of the offer by logging in as a member on the Moving Planet website, however this is subject to various controls:

It is valid for UK departing passengers holding British passports only.

The passenger must hold a valid migration visa stating over 1 year stay.

It is not valid if you have a stopover (exit the airport) in Dubai or anywhere else on the way.

Tickets must be one-way (no return date or open returns).

You must NOT have entered the country on the visa already.

Also emirates give you a discount at present if you book with an HSBC debit or credit card use the promo code ukhsbc1

best wishes graham

• 2 weeks later...
Guest deb31deb

Hi i have just booked my flights with emirates and have 50KG PER PERSON BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE AND A LETTER COMFIRMING THIS . WE ONLY PAID 2400 FOR 2 ADULTS TO CHILDREN PRETTY GOOD DEAL I WOULD SAY WE FLY ON FEB THE 9TH

DEB

Archived