missing the family

hogan

i am emigrating in a few months, what i am really worried about is that i will love it in oz, but the over powering feeling of missing my family will be too much,, how do you get over leaving the family??/

Keep busy. If you sit around and do nothing, you'll constantly think of them. Also, because of modern technology, we're all lucky enough to be able to keep in touch via the internet. Something I've been on for a while is Facebook. I brilliant way to keep in touch with family and friends. You can post photos of all of you and where you're living. You can keep up to date with them. It does get easier with time. And it makes you appreciate them a lot more. People have said that you hear a lot more from family and friends than when they're right on your doorstep. And I think it's true. And it's an added bonus when they're able to visit you and you them. You appreciate that a lot more too. Been there, done that. And going to do it again! :swoon:

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi there... I agree with Mummy3... facebook's great as is MSN Messanger and Skype (where you speak with a microphone absolutely free - in case you didn't already know what it is!)

Keep busy and speak often and you will be fine I'm sure...!!!

Lots of Luck with the move...!

Regards,

Dan:smile:

Guest WARDStoOZ
thanks but can you still enjoy and appreciate your life in oz without it being all about the people you left behind

I can't answer that one I'm afraid but I certainly hope so...!!!

Regards,

Dan :smile:

Guest sazzle76

im worried about leaving family behind too as i do rely on them a fair bit and we have NO-ONE in oz!

I was kinda hoping there would be quite a few brits in our situation that we could "befriend" so the kids could have surrogate auties and uncles etc.

I mean... i would be willing to help a family out with child care and support etc so assume others figure the same? i dont know.

Guest JoanneHattersley

i dont think you do get over leaving people, you learn to live with it!!!

Moving round the world is a HUGE thing to do! I have been here four years almost and I stlil miss people daily! My parents moved from my house here, 2 hours up the road and I STILL miss them!

You do enjoy your life here, you WILL worry about people that you left behind but life goes on!

You will make good friends but what you have to remember is that those friendships will NOT be made overnight. How long did it take you to cultivate really good friendships in the UK????

You will get to know people, the trick is to put yourself out there! If someone invites you over for a Barbie or a drink, even if you think ,,, I dont know anyone....GO! its the only way to meet people.

GOod Luck and when you get where you are going , organise a meet, a PIO meet wherever you`ll be.

Sazzle76 - I see an untapped market in your childcare idea there girl.............

Guest jogrant3232

You do and always will (i think) miss the people you have left behind,i just make sure i make the most of this unbelievable life style and envoironment that i am so lucky to be in i dont have too much spare time to dwell on it, do i feel guilty that i am not sitting around mopeing about who i have left behind NO do i love them any less NO.

Guest Charlies Angel
thanks but can you still enjoy and appreciate your life in oz without it being all about the people you left behind

I found being without family here very difficult at first. I did not appreciate life in oz at all! However, a few months in and the social network has expanded and i feel much better. Its very very hard at first. I found it isolating and depressing to be honest! Nearly a year in and i love it here and would not go back. I think it all depends on how much of a pull your family give you? I have lots of famly in uk but not that close to a lot of them. But the ones i am close to, i miss like mad. But as others have said, internet etc makes it better.

Guest WARDStoOZ
You will make some new friends - and truthfully there are plenty of Aussies out there who will try and help you, neighbours etc. We are not all that bad - we don't bite, contrary to some opinion!!! :yes:

Thanks for that! It's nice to know...!

Regards,

Dan :smile:

Archived