Where to live - commuter territory?

Guest marc

When I finally get to Oz, I'm looking for a home within reasonable commuting distance of Braibane (as this is where I envisage myself working, more call for IT in the city I'd imagine).

I'd really like somewhere coastal, but this isn't in any way set in stone and I also like the idea of Jimboomba.

I'd appreciate any first hand experience of this area, including your recommendations of nice area's which are also not to pricey when it comes to rents.

Cheers,

Guest HappyBunny

Hi, I'm sure you will get loads of suggestions!! Brisbane is nice in it's own right and has some lovely suburbs, however, a lot of people come here for the beach so want somewhere closer to the coast. We have been here just over 3 months and started off renting in Redcliffe, which is commutable to the city but it wasn't to our taste and the surf isn't up to much. The Sunshine coast is lovely but really too far to commute to Brissy.

OH works in Brissy so we went (somewhat reluctantly at first) to the Northern Gold Coast. We are in Ormeau which alongwith Helensvale, Coomera, Upper Coomera, Pacific Pines are all popular with commuters as they are all roughly half way between Brisbane and the Gold Coast. Our only major gripe is that Ormeau feels a bit bland to us (it's newish and doesn't seem to have any character), so have been looking around for when our tenancy ends. Mount Tamborine has really taken us, it's very pretty and views are to die for and still reasonably close to Brissy and the beaches. Jimboomba is nice and we quite like Tamborine, Logan Village and Logan Reserve. Though these areas are a bit more inland than we would like. Rental is pretty similar wherever you go. You can get a modern 3 or 4 bed house from around $340 for a duplex or a bit more for a detached. You can get cheaper but they are usually older. I'm not sure of unit prices. Check out www.realestate.com.au

It's a matter of taste really, what style of house you want, old or new, what facilities you want etc. and you can't really get a good feel until you're here. To be honest if you look at areas below Logan (Central) you can't go far wrong, as long as you avoid Beenleigh!!

Cal can give you the rundown on Jimboomba as she lives there. Finding an area that suits is so hard, hope this helps a bit and good luck!! x

A massive thanks to both of you. :biggrin:

HappyBunny, that feedback is fantastic and exactly the sort of thing I was looking for - very insightful, so thanks. :yes:

johatts, I was actually planning on PM'ing Cal and asking her to take a look at this thread, as I'd like to use some of their relocation services when I finally get over there - their reputation really does speak for itself.

Im here,lol, (thanks happybunny & johatts)

i have copied and pasted the post i wrote a few weeks ago for the suburb thread,,,,,

Flagstone Estate / Jimboomba

After living here for nearly 2 years we are loving everything this area as to offer. It is one of the fastest growing communities in Queensland growing from a population of only 800 in 1978 to over 5,500 today. Situated in a semi rural area and being just out side the metropolitan area of Brisbane (approx 38klm into brisbane city) gives easy access to most parts of SE Qld whilst allowing you room to play outdoors.

Property prices vary from $320,000 upwards and plot sizes vary from medium to large acerage plots.Search www.realestate.com using postcode 4280.

There are a variety of schools both State and Private,including Jimboomba State,Hills internatinol Private College, Emmaus Private school, Flagstone Primary, Flagstone high.

There are also 3 or 4 child care centres/ kindy's throughout Flagstone/Jimboomba area.

Shops include a large Mitre 10 hardware shop, in-store bank, TAB, post office, travel agent, real estate agents, carpet store, laundromat, bargain bar, chiropractor, computer store, veterinary clinics, trophy shop, optometrist, fruit and vegetable market, video shop, hairdresser, barber, clothes store, photo shop, liquor store, butchers, newsagents, chemist,2 x medical centres, numerous takeaway food shops, cafe, bakery, pizza stores, credit union, accountant, solicitor, dentist, doctor, shopping centre, office supplies store, restaurant, tavern and liquor barn,not forgetting Woolworths and Coles supermarkets.

Jimboomba also has its own rapidly growing industrial estate.

There are too many after/out of school activities and clubs to list from dancing and Gymnastiscs to horse riding and soccer. Parks and nature walks are plentiful and for anyone with young children the FREE activities in the park weekday mornings are great for keeping the kids entertained whilst allowing you to meet other mums and expand your friendship base.

With Mt Tamborine only minutes away and the stunning Gold Coast hinterland in 15 minutes ,to the sandy beaches of surfers in under an hour or Brisbane City in 40 minutes. Ipswich and the increasingly popular Springfield Lakes is only a stones throw away.

popular websites are www.flagstoneestate.com.au and our local paper www.jimboombatimes.com.au

Other areas around here that are too becoming popular include

Teviot Downs, Spring Mountain, Mundoolun,Glenlogan Lakes and New Beith.

Hope this helps a bit ,there are loads of suburbs within commuting distance of the city that are lovely places, have you read the where to live guide for Greater Brisbane ? this covers 95% of suburbs from here to the city. Feel free to pm or post if you discover anywere you need feedback on and good luck with everything

Cal x

That's fantastic Cal, thanks!! :smile:

I've certainly got plenty of research and thinking to do, but it really helps to have some first hand expereince of the area's I'm considering - especailly Jimboomba which is still top of my list at the moment.

Who knows, if I can get the paperwork side of things under way, I may be calling on your services and advice for a visit some time next year. :wink:

Archived