Has the credit crunch hit oz yet????

Guest horatio8

Guest horatio8

Hi Everyone

I have asked the above question due to being told today by the Agency to whom I have applied for a job, have been told by the company that everything has been suspended due to the current climate:sad:

For those who don't know my situation I will briefly let you know.

In October I applied for a job on a website for a company wanting 20 Industrial Painters in Perth, with the condition of they had to be willing to emigrate. (No Time Wasters wanted) .

I applied and received an email asking about my experience and why I wanted to go and if the family were happy to go.

CV and application accepted.

Email received stating that all applicants had been passed by Immigration and were being passed to the HR Manager of the company.

Heard nothing for a few weeks.

Emailed the agency and response was they had not heard from the Company.

That was 3 weeks ago.

Called the Agency tonight and was told that everything was on hold until January due to the current climate. Although I am disappointed it is not a complete knock back as yet. Or by the way I am just 45 so other Visa's are not an option except 475 of course.

Just wondered about all you Poms already in OZ, "is the effect of the Credit Crunch hitting the man on the street in Australia and if it is in what way?"

I would be interseted to know.:yes:

Cheeers

Stevied

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi Steve...!

Sorry to hear about your situation!

I heard on the news last night that Australia are one of if not the best country preparation wise for the economic downturn.

Australia is in a much better position than the U.K.

They reduced the value of the dollar to encourage tourism and trade but I have heard also that companies are stuggling for cash and trying to keep unemployment levels down so are not always recruiting as much as they previously were.

Hope you get something soon...!

Regards,

Dan

Guest horatio8

Why thank you.

I have noticed another thread on the money and finances section which talks about housing and money markets but not the man on the street and how it is affecting him at the moment. I'm also curious as to the employment situation and people having visa's cancelled due to the situation. I did read earlier that a couple were told there wasn't a job for them to go to after selling up and only 2 weeks before getting on the plane.

That would be devastating.

Stevied

Guest horatio8

Cheers Dan yours just popped up before mine.

I'm still staying positive though and with the quiz to do, I'll still be around LOL.

I'll keep you informed mate. i'll be on the quiz later as I havn't seen it since yesterday.

Stevied

Guest WARDStoOZ
Why thank you.

I have noticed another thread on the money and finances section which talks about housing and money markets but not the man on the street and how it is affecting him at the moment. I'm also curious as to the employment situation and people having visa's cancelled due to the situation. I did read earlier that a couple were told there wasn't a job for them to go to after selling up and only 2 weeks before getting on the plane.

That would be devastating.

Stevied

That sounds awful Steve! I really hope that that doesn't happen to anyone! Surely, despite the economic climate, it would be a very rare occurence for something like that to happen... still devastating though!!!

Regards,

Dan

Guest WARDStoOZ
Cheers Dan yours just popped up before mine.

I'm still staying positive though and with the quiz to do, I'll still be around LOL.

I'll keep you informed mate. i'll be on the quiz later as I havn't seen it since yesterday.

Stevied

Great to hear that you'll be remaining positive! That's the way!

See you at the quiz!

Regards,

Dan

So sorry to hear that you are being impacted by the global crisis - I hope you havent quit your current job just yet!

In answer to your question though - yes it is having an effect, at the moment it is subtle but quite frightening in its speed and potential (despite the govt now deciding to talk up the economy after talking it down for so long when they first got in).

The first thing to go was the philanthropic donations (DH's job in the charity sector has gone and is having more of a hassle getting another job than he thought as so many previous retirees are having to rejoin the workforce because their income has been seriously slashed) and that also has an impact on the sector in which I work:no:.

Small businesses are starting to go under - the one shop in Canberra that sells maps is closing at the end of the month and specifically cites the economic situation. The retailers are having major discounts and sales in order to attract people in but the malls are generally quite empty in comparison with this time of year previously. We had a tree surgeon quote us for a tree pruning yesterday and he was gobsmacked at the downturn in business - the fact that he will come next week is good for us but terrible for him as usually he would have business lined up past Christmas.

The housing market doesnt know if it is Arthur or Martha - even around here where there is a severe shortage of accommodation, houses are not selling like the hot cakes they were just a few months back.

Australians still think the resources boom will keep them in business but given that China and other importers of our resources are similarly affected, our resource sector is having the same struggle as everyone else. People think they are doing OK at the moment because the interest rates are dropping through the floor and the price of petrol is now back down but if your job is on the line that is all irrelevant.

So, yes, we are part of the global economy disaster!

Guest Guest9973

Quoll is right - the effect is very subtle.

I'm still not sure if a lot of this is extreme caution,"Pulling in the purse strings" and all that.

As we see this unfold in the northern hemisphere I'm sure all of us here in the south are going to try and avoid the effects somehow.It might be cancelling a holiday,not having renovations done.

If that free cash does not go into our economy it will look like a "crunch" initially

I'm saying we are not seeing a direct effect - just how much is caution.

The house market has slowed and priced dropped a little.A good ,standard house that is sensibly priced will always sell - gone are the days of big price ranges.

If you have a secure job,not overloaded with debt it's not a bad place to be - petrol down ,those artificially high interest rates are plummeting. Put that spare cash into your mortgage/clear debts - some may even do well................:wink:

That's my view from South Australia:smile:

Hi Steve

I have been out here for the last 8 weeks and in that time I have seen it change big time when I got out here the company I work for told me That I dont need to worry about the downturn. In that time Volvo have started to lay people off so have ford. I was at a steel works about a week ago and they were laying off 3,000 people that very day. This week my MD has been summond to Germany to give an apprasial of every employee so the future for me is in the balance. I have also heard of major projects being put on hold for the time being but no decisions are to made until after Xmas.

I would say compared to the UK things are slightly stronger but it does feel like it did back home about 8 months ago when everyone was still in denial.

So like yourself I work in the construction industry and that always gets hit hard anyway but I would say keep in touch with the agency and see what develops after Xmas. Good Luck mate.

Archived