Prison Service in Australia

Guest Richard14

Guest Richard14

Hi my name is Richard and i am new to this site, i am a serving Prison officer in the U.K wishing to relocate to Australia and work in there Prison service. I have been a Prison Officer for 10 years, but desperately want to move out to Oz, and would love to carry on in the job over there, can anyone help with any advice at all please??

Guest sarahel

Hi Richard14

We are in a similar situation to you, my husband is also a prison officer here in the UK and we have been researching a move to Australia. Sadly for both of us, prison officers aren't on any of the 'sought after lists' and it doesn't even appear on the regional lists either so in a nutshell, we have discovered, the only way to Australia is either through employer sponsorship, family sponsorship (do you have any relatives out there? or if not on your spouses visa if they have enough points! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, this is just the information that we have found to date, if you find anything different along the way please, please let us know too!

Guest sarahel
The corrective services in WA are actively recruiting. Get to the website and apply. You will be here in a flash. Pretty good system too, I should think, and lots of UK expats in the service already

Hi docboat, where did you get this info from, I can't find anything on the website and they have also responded to an email saying that no international recruitment is planned this year? I hope you are right tho, it sounds like just what we are looking for.

Hi docboat, where did you get this info from, I can't find anything on the website and they have also responded to an email saying that no international recruitment is planned this year? I hope you are right tho, it sounds like just what we are looking for.

I work in the department. Health services. The intranet is full of opportunities, and WA government is desperately short of staff in the prisons - all departments. Drop them a line.

Guest Richard14
Hi Richard14

We are in a similar situation to you, my husband is also a prison officer here in the UK and we have been researching a move to Australia. Sadly for both of us, prison officers aren't on any of the 'sought after lists' and it doesn't even appear on the regional lists either so in a nutshell, we have discovered, the only way to Australia is either through employer sponsorship, family sponsorship (do you have any relatives out there? or if not on your spouses visa if they have enough points! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, this is just the information that we have found to date, if you find anything different along the way please, please let us know too!

Hi Sarahel,

Thanks for ur reply, i am desperate to go and wont give up until someone actually tells me no!! I read that docboat works for them, and goes on to say that WA are actively recruiting? are they? i am constantly on there website. I am going to contact them direct and see how i get on, and i will keep you posted on how i get on. If that is the case, will they sponsor international applicants through the visa system?? lets see.

Guest Richard14
I work in the department. Health services. The intranet is full of opportunities, and WA government is desperately short of staff in the prisons - all departments. Drop them a line.

Hi docboat,

Richard14 here, i read your reply to sarahel, is that the case ?? are WA recruiting international applicants through the visa system?? Could you perhaps let me know whom in the department it would be best to speak too?? i would be very grateful for any kind of local address or government email address...

Many thanks

Richard14

Guest Rachel-UK

Hi! I too are in this same boat!!...

I am new to this and have a few questions i hope someone can answer....

I have been within the HM Prison Service in the UK for 4 years as a Prison Officer and within the last year i have gone on to be a Physical Education Officer is this same establishment.

I am wanting to move over to Aus with my long term partner and 3 and half year old daughter...so here's how it is...

I am currently taking my PPTLS level III (teaching qualification) and i am due to complete this very soon, my previous employment was also within sport too.

How could we emigrate? Recreation Officer (equivalent to Physical Education Instructor/Officer) has recently become a skilled occupation which needs to be supported by a degree (this of which i will not have for a few years yet)

My partners sister is an Australian Resident - with my job been on the SOL is she able to sponsor us? if so how do i go about it?

Studying is another option but is far to costly for us.

We ideally want to be Queensland but anywhere will do!

Those interested in Western Austraila try this site... www.correctiveservices.wa.gov.au

Please help!

Guest James.S
Hi my name is Richard and i am new to this site, i am a serving Prison officer in the U.K wishing to relocate to Australia and work in there Prison service. I have been a Prison Officer for 10 years, but desperately want to move out to Oz, and would love to carry on in the job over there, can anyone help with any advice at all please??

Hi, I put up a thread earlier that is a collection of what people are earning in Oz, there was definately at least one or two prision officers on the list, have a look at;

Jobs & Money... The (almost) Definitive Answer!

Thought it may be of interest / help...

Good luck,

James...

• 3 years later...
Guest cap666

Hi all, my hubby and I were both Prison Managers in UK. After 15 years, we took VEDS and are now happily living in SA working in Prisons. I applied for a job via linkedin. Had a telephone interview and was successful following a second interview in Singapore. We both quit our jobs and obtained a RSMS Visa (sponsored by employer - they only sponsor Executive grades though). However, shortly after getting here there was quite a few vacancies, hubby applied and was working for them too within weeks!

There are limited options, however, you could apply for a 457 (working Visa) take a big leap of faith and come over!! It does have age restrictions sadly. The other option of course is consider a different route within the organisation. Private companies are easier like Serco/G4S I believe but i wanted to stick with state employer. You can ring Australia House in London, they are very helpful, its very time consuming and frustrating but from the first thought of applying for a job to selling house and moving the family here was only 5.5 months so anything is possible. Correctional Officers earn big bucks over here in comparison. Overtime is double time and its a plenty. Its great, really it is. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Good luck fellow Brits:-)

Guest london2oz

Hi all

I am currently studying for my degree in criminal justice and hope to work in probation, with young offenders or in the drug rehab/counselling field. Does anyone know if there are lots of these types of jobs in Aus and might it be possible to get sponsorship once i have my degree? I probably wouldnt have any experience in the field at the time were looking to migrate, just the degree.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I think there is work in these areas to be had, but i think they want you to have some experience and a permenent residency visa, the jobs aren't on the skills list, unless someone else knows different. Best of luck.

Guest london2oz
I think there is work in these areas to be had, but i think they want you to have some experience and a permenent residency visa, the jobs aren't on the skills list, unless someone else knows different. Best of luck.

Thanks I thought as much! Hubby is an electrician so that will get us here, guess I'll get another job and look for something related to my degree once I'm here. Just thought though, will my degree count for much since i'll have studied the English criminal justice system?

Archived