new to forum

Guest Michelle2

Guest Michelle2

Hi All,

I live in Seabrook. I've been here for 4 years and its gone by so fast its a blurr. We have a little girl who is 20 months old. I am from Manchester. Lots of my friends here tell me they know lots of english people who live in the area. I have yet to meet any english people in the area, but would really like to. I am 35 years old and came here with my husband who's a kiwi, but sounds like a brit. Anyway if anyone is interested in keeping in touch or meeting for a coffee, then would love to hear from you. :jiggy:Francine

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Francine

Welcome to PIO, there are quite a few get togethers around Berwick but they may be too far for you? You could come to the Britvics meet in December and meet lots of other Melbourne poms.

Guest Michelle2

Thanks to everyone who has welcomed me to PIO, I am still figuring out how to use the site, so I hope this one thank you will reach you all. Its probably the most I have felt welcomed and part of a community since my arrival in Melbourne. I have tried not to be negative about Australian's and take each person as they come, but for the most part I find they don't like anyone who is not white and born in Australia, that statement is such a contradiction!!

We arrived in Sydney in 2003 and moved to Melbourne in 2004. I spent the first three years wanting to go home, but my hubbie wanted to stay. In 2007 after the birth of our little girl this helped me settle down and now I am glad we are here, but I still miss home.

We had a really hard time when we first moved to Melbourne as we could not understand why the people were so unfriendly, we had lived in Sydney previously and had no problems with making friends, but now we realise we were just extremely lucky in Sydney. After reading alot of the stories of other members of PIO it made me feel not so alone and realise that my experience here is not so different to many others. Like been told you don't have any Australian experience for the position of a credit controller - even though I had seven years English experience!! I am not looking forward to going back to work, as most of the jobs I have had, have been terrible, the Aussie's don't treat us brits very well.

We do now have a few really great close friends, but none are from England. I had hoped I would just meet a fellow brit, but its not happened. I have lots of people tell me they have lots of english friends who live in point cook, sanctuary lakes, so I thought it was time I did something pro-active and join PIO.

Does anyone know of any groups that I could join to try and kick start some sort of social life? Not that I have much time having a 20 month old, but it would be nice to be able to occasionally go shopping or meet for a coffee or go to the beach, when the summer comes.

Well have a great Sunday everyone.:chatterbox::cute:

Archived