IT skills question

mattyegg

Hello All

Looking for a bit of advice from any IT people out there.

Me and the wife are looking into moving to OZ on a skilled migrants visa.

I work in IT (mainly support and network administration/management) and have done so for 5 years.

I don't have a degree in computing but have a good few Microsoft Qualifications and should be completing my skills set by passing final exam to get my MCSE qualification.

I was wondering if anyone has been in the same boat as me where they don't have a degree but similar MS qualifications and if they would be enough for me to be granted a skilled migrants visa.

I've checked with a few agents and they say 6 years and my MCSE should be enough.

Any advice much appreciated.

Mattyegg

Guest LX_RV86

Hi:

My brother and I both have ICT degrees, but experience is more valuable than degrees, especially MSCSs, which are really sought after! On our skills assessment forms, it's not even asked me for details of my ICT degree, just teaching experience (I'm an ICT teacher, brother is a network admin/web designer/project manager) they are very interested in on the job training and any practical capabilities.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, we're just starting the process ourselves :-) but our agent's paper work has more emphasis on MSCEs, vocational training, expeirence more than anything else.

While over on a recci in Oz, we found out that Microsoft Certification (and Prince if you're going into management) are what employers look for!

Guest stockies

My OH is an IT Manager,he had a degree in applied computing and a Ph.D. We have used Peter Chiam from Ptlabs consulting as our agent he has a very good understanding of the ACS. It may well be a good Idea to have a chat with him......sorry I cant be of more help......Good luck.

Claire. XX

Can't answer for sure but I remember when I was looking for visa options that a degree wasn't necesarry. As you say, if you have a few years exp that was all that was required. I think your mcse's will definately seal the deal. I seem to remember that the only difference between having a degree and not was that they wanted more exp and more evidence of exp.

Thanks for the replies guys.

All reassuring.

I've only recently looked at the form that I'm required to fill out and send to ACS and before applying for actual visa.

Wanted to check if not having a degree would hinder my chances in any way.

Wife is the opposite she has a degree in HR but no experience.

Cheers again

MattyEgg

Guest juliemtaylor

My OH has an IT degree and loads of experience too , we used Peter Chiam too from PTLabs, give him a vsit as he does an assessment for you to check your possibility of passing skills etc ok.

• 1 month later...
Guest SAPPHIRE123

Hi Matty

I don't have an IT degree either but my skills assesment was returned within 4 weeks with a possitive assesment,

I have MCSE in messaging

MCP

MCSA

CCNA

CNA (Novell)

ITIL service management foundation certificate

A couple of vendor specific quals from HP in Storage Networking

Current UK SC security clearance and 10 years experience

My agent told me that my MCSE and 8 years exprience would be enough.

ACS Assesment completed Dec 07

Applied for 175 visa Jan 08

Completed Police checks and medicals Oct 08

Visa granted 15th Dec 08 8-)

I plan to be in AUS by the end of Q1 09, just need to sell the house

Regards

• 3 weeks later...
Guest andrew_obrien

If you get your MCSE and have 6 years experience then you will get a poss assesment from the ACS (60 Points) no problems as that is one of the quals that they accept for 60 points.

Contact George Lombard if you have any questions as he is an i.t Guru. I would also look at upgrading your msce to MCITP as that is the new qual that is replacing the MCSE.

From the ACS Website:-

Certain vendor certification courses either individually or in combination and supported by substantial relevant experience may be sufficient to meet the ACS Skills Assessment Requirements for Group B.

(Applicants with vendor qualifications MCSE, MCSD, CLP and CNE gained from 1997, and CDE , Master CNE , CNI , CCE , and OCM gained from 2004, and MCPD and MCITP gained from 2007, CISA and CISM gained from June 2007, CISSP from May 2008).

The work experience requirement of six years of professional experience must also be meet if you hold one of the above.

Link :- Australian Computer Society - Frequently Asked Questions

Question 48

Hope this helps

Hi

I had an MCAD and MCSE and got a +ve result from the ACS. I didn't have a degree but did have a higher dipoloma.

ACS required me to have 6 yrs experience connected with the chosen specialization in the form of a report, and also references going back that far. Took about 9 months to get the work done, submitted, and then a result back. Sometimes they are really busy !!!

If you have a degree I think your work experience can be less.

I used Overseas Emigration who contracted out the ACS part to a guy in Perth. He knew what they wanted and helped get everything done. Highly recomended. You need to make sure all your evidence is in good shape as having to re-submit would be a real pain.

Anyway, got my 175 visa back in March 08, just waiting on the house to sell now, and hopefully get out next month.

Good luck with your submission.

Glad I read this thread. I'm currently working toward the MCSA/MCSE and hoping to do CCNA before I apply too. Also have the ITIL Foundation V2 and V3. Pretty sure my degree was at least 50% IT too. It's good to know the MCSE does help.

When you say MCSE messaging, which elective did you take? I'm taking Sharepoint as mine, to at least take me to MCSA. Will Sharepoint also count as a "new" MCP?

• 4 months later...
Guest bonnara

I have my MCSE and CCNP and 5 and a bit years experience so I'm waiting for my 6 years to apply as a network engineer.

Can someone tell me do I have to do the RPL with this or is it just the straight skills assessment form?

I work in IT and don't have a degree. The ACS have a scheme called RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) which, essentially, is you demonstrating you have the experience you say you have. Do a search on it via the immi.gov.au site.

The forms and evidence you are required to provide can be a bit long-winded but mine went through in about 3 weeks.

Good luck.

Guest Gill&Jamie
I have my MCSE and CCNP and 5 and a bit years experience so I'm waiting for my 6 years to apply as a network engineer.

Can someone tell me do I have to do the RPL with this or is it just the straight skills assessment form?

Have you tried getting advice from an agent?? Alan Collett on here is very good and could give you pointers, not sure of ur time frame but may be able to point you in the right direction and give you options?!

Slange

G and J

Hello Bonnaro

I've contacted PTlabs as advised in a previous post for a bit of advice on my situation.

Found them quite helpful in planning out next move study wise.

I'm looking for extra MODL points as I would only get 115 with MCSE.

It's worth going on their site and uploading your CV.

Hope this helps

Mattyegg

Archived