standard of living ?

Guest Del Boy

Guest Del Boy

Hi all

The question is could 4 of us live on $51000 a year before tax and have a normal standard of living.

I've been offerd a job in brisbane on a 457 work visa and would be bringing about £10000 in english money but after about 6 months my wife could get ajob for about $30000 would this be a good move for us help please:unsure:

Guest crystalrose
Hi all

The question is could 4 of us live on $51000 a year before tax and have a normal standard of living.

I've been offerd a job in brisbane on a 457 work visa and would be bringing about £10000 in english money but after about 6 months my wife could get ajob for about $30000 would this be a good move for us help please:unsure:

Hi Del Boy

My OH is over in OZ at the moment on a 457 myself and three children follow on at the end of December, his salary is $68500 before tax, I actually asked this question sometime ago, I had lots of responses I have to say I was told by most that it is going to be a struggle for us financially and I really do not doubt that, so as you can imagine I am still having doubts still trying to weigh everything up, some days I just feel like asking my OH to come home both of us are still unsure, he does say it is really weird at the moment with all the xmas decorations in the shops but walking around in a teeshirt, he misses the christmas atmosphere here but still early days. I will be interested to read replies to this thread, it may help me make up my mind.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Personally I think you would struggle on $51k before tax and as a temporary resident you wouldnt be entitled to any of the other benefits which go with being permanent.

If you have to pay rent, you are going to lose about $400 a week (probably more in Brisbane) then you will have to pay transport, utilities etc on top of that so, no, you would struggle. Your L10k would go some way to either paying up front rental or deposit on a home but you would also need to fork out for a car etc. The additional pay from your wife would make it easier of course but it would be a "get by" lifestyle rather than a luxurious one.

Guest spottymercedes

I have to agree with Quoll, that it would be a bit of a struggle. When you are on a permanent visa, you get some help similar to the UK tax credits and also some are entitled to rent assistance which is a great help and really bumps up your money, but unfortunatley you would not get this with the 457. I think if your wife had the $30k income also then that would be ok, but the initial struggle would be tough as there are always hidden costs on arrival which no matter how much you plan and think everything is covered there is always something else to pay out.

If you can manage to go carefully and not be too flash with the cash to start with, then personally I think you could make it work, but you will need to be careful in your first 6 months.

Good Luck with your decision, I hope it all works out.

Archived