Early stages decision: Adelaide or Perth?

Guest Architect&Dentist

Guest Architect&Dentist

Adelaide or Perth?

This is the question that you probably are tired of answering: Which place is best? this or that? Sorry, but I still have to ask.

Having been devouring all the online info I can get my hands on, we came to the conclusion that only the 2 capital cities (and respective surroundings) with a mediterranean climate were of interest to us.

Due to both our professions (Architect & Dentist) we don't think we'll have many problems getting visas, so it is just a question of finding the better place to settle.

We do plan on visiting beforehand, but all the info we can get in advance will be much appreciated.

Some of our questions are:

1) How easy is to build your own home?

2) How well are the suburbs served of public transport, trains in particular?

3) How easy is to socially integrate?

4) What are the most dangerous creatures we need to look out for?

5) How easy it is to get european goods in the local shops/markets?

6) Can we safely swim in the local beaches?

7) One of us is rather affected by extreme cold and extreme heat. How badly do extreme temperatures affect this region?

8) Can we use our UK driving licences over there?

9) How long do flights to UK take (on average?)

10) How long does it take on the train to Sidney (from Adelaide)?

And finally, what are the most difficult aspects of the initial stages of the settling process (first 12 months)?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions later on... Thanks in advance to all repliers.

Cheers!

Guest Guest9973

Hiya

I've put my answers below

Adelaide or Perth?

This is the question that you probably are tired of answering: Which place is best? this or that? Sorry, but I still have to ask.

Having been devouring all the online info I can get my hands on, we came to the conclusion that only the 2 capital cities (and respective surroundings) with a mediterranean climate were of interest to us.

Due to both our professions (Architect & Dentist) we don't think we'll have many problems getting visas, so it is just a question of finding the better place to settle.

We do plan on visiting beforehand, but all the info we can get in advance will be much appreciated.

5) How easy it is to get european goods in the local shops/markets?

7) One of us is rather affected by extreme cold and extreme heat. How badly do extreme temperatures affect this region?

And finally, what are the most difficult aspects of the initial stages of the settling process (first 12 months)?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions later on... Thanks in advance to all repliers.

Cheers!

No one can choose which city for you,I've lived here in Adelaide for 8 years and it suits me down to the ground.I've not visited Perth yet ( Feb next year hopefully).

What I can say about Adelaide - it appears to be financially stable, no large down turn or lay offs.

Adelaide is fairly quiet on the surface but lots to do when you look.

Great place for kids.

"It's who you know here" - Adelaide is a very networked place.

Negatives could be work,there is not quite as much opportunity here - but the charm of Auntie Adelaide is here relative peace.

To answer your list................From an Adelaide perspective.......

To physically build yourself or have subcontractors do it for you? I'd say near impossible.

But there are many building companies that will build a package for you - here is one company I've just pulled out of the bag(not recommending them or anything)

New Homes - South Australia - Rossdale Homes

Not many train lines in Adelaide but there is a good bus service that can either get you to a train stop or go in direct.

A lot of this will be up to you - some find it tough and some can't keep up with all of their friends.You do need to work at creating a social circle/network.Sometimes the people you meet in your early days will not be your friends for too long - just only having the experience of moving here does not cement a good friendship.It may take a little while to "get in " with the Aussies.I think they are great in general but our sense of humour can differ - some of my jokes have had to be shelved! We have about equal Aussie/Pom friends.It seems to be a good mix - I'd be wary of just having friends from your own country.

Real estate agents, car dealers...............I'm not kidding.Yes there is dangerous wild life here but the danger is minimal compared to the "usual" danger of getting run over and so on - have a look back in this sub forum and read the tales regarding the wild life - a lot of hype!

5) How easy it is to get European goods in the local shops/markets?

More products are becoming available but they are expensive.

I'd not worry too much about this one,you soon forget and then eat like a local.

On most I'd say yes - look for advisory notices regarding rips/strong currents.There will always be the slight possibility of meeting a shark I'm afraid.Surf Clubs will indicate safe areas on busy beaches.

Adelaide can be described as Mediterranean,we get nearly the 4 seasons.Hot /dry summers through to fresh days and chilly nights in winter ( have to point out that we can still get sunshine and 20c in winter!)

Yes you can for up to 3 months in SA - then you HAVE to get an Aussie license - not test or anything.

Hard to say as every airline have different stop overs for connecting flights - 36 in total on average.

That would be a a 2 day run I'd say.

The worst thing in the first 12 months is that you have not settled yet - you are still finding your way around and learning - things take longer which can be frustrating - give yourself a minimum of 2 years,it's amazing just how much more settled you will feel then.

:smile:

Archived