Where to stay outside Sydney

Guest Global

Hi,

My wife and I are due to move over to Oz next March fingers crossed just waiting for her bank to confirm the job and sort the visa's.

Good thing is that they will be paying for all the flights, containers and also a month rent.

We would have to be based in the Sydney area so would want to live no further than about 23k outside Sydney or around 40 min on a train and would prefer the North, as I have relatives living in Raymond Terrance and Medowie (Newcastle)

Does anyone know a nice locations around Sydney that could offer good schools / Nurserys and that would be about 40 mins on the train into Central Station. I am hoping to get a job around the Port Botany area as I work in Logistics so would need access to the main motor ways.

Would be looking to spend around $600k max on a house preferably with a pool

We have 2 kids, 1 that is 6 who would be at school, the other who would be 2, we would need child care for the 2 year old and was wondering what the cost of this are we currently pay in the region of £650 per month here. Is that a reasonable amount to expect to pay in oz or would it be more. Also does anyone know if we would be able to claim the tax rebate on the cost of the nursery place I think its around 25% back or do you have to be a resident to get this ?

Guest mutikonka

That's a hard one - live in the north and work in the south. Somewhere like Hornsby might be a compromise - I presume you'd want to be near the Pacific Highway to get up north ... so any of the north shore suburbs along the highway would suit - but they ain't cheap.

• 8 months later...
Guest PosmMagic

Surely it's more important to be closer to your work (where you'll go every day) than to your relatives' place where you will only go from time to time? If so, I'd look south of the city if I were you. Maybe the Shire?

Archived