Still waiting for advice can anyone help?

Guest Ruby98

Moving to Sydney in December but cant aford the Northern beaches. I have thought of moving to Baulham Hills as it does not seem so expensive. Does anyone know this area? Is there a train or regular bus to the city? We need a good school as well (boys 12 and 16)? Are there any shops nearby? Can anyone suggest any other areas that are leafy and have a shopping centre a short drive away?

Thanks guys, fantastic site and threads !!!

Ruby

Guest michelle in Havant

Hi Ruby

I am afraid I cant help as we are moving to Adelaide, just wanted to welcome you to PIO!!!! I am sure someone will be along in a mo who can help.

michelle x

Moving to Sydney in December but cant aford the Northern beaches. I have thought of moving to Baulham Hills as it does not seem so expensive. Does anyone know this area? Is there a train or regular bus to the city? We need a good school as well (boys 12 and 16)? Are there any shops nearby? Can anyone suggest any other areas that are leafy and have a shopping centre a short drive away?

Thanks guys, fantastic site and threads !!!

Ruby

The Hills District, Baulkham Hills being part of that, is a great place for families. Has everything that you and the boys would need, good schools, shopping centres etc. etc. Transport to the City is not the best! There are buses and trains but you have to drive to the stations depending on where you live.Read the General information thread in this section and you'll get other views on the area. Hope this helps and that everything works out for you.

Guest rossifan

Hi

Yes there are shops in Baulkham Hills, and just down the road a whole new shopping town has opened up it's at Rouse Hill, lots of stores, cafes, department stores and cinemas, it's very new & impressive, I had not been down that area for about 18months and couldn't believe that it was all up and running on what were empty paddocks then.

Train links and bus network are good in that area, I live over the mountains in Country NSW so house prices in the "hills" to me are very expensive.

Baulkham Hills is not good for public transport to the city, Epping has a good boys school is about 20-30 mins drive to Baulkam Hills and has better transport links to everywhere else.

Guest tenquidder

Contrary to the previous post, there are no train links in the Hills district. There are express bus services to the city, but a number of them are peak hour only. Depending on exactly where you get on and off, the trip can take an hour or more. You can get details at the bus company's website, www.hillsbus.com.au.

The other poster was right about Epping being handier for public transport, but you might find a difference in the house prices there.

Guest JoB1970

Hi

Although I do not know Baulkhams Hills really well, my family live there and I have visited a couple of times and am moving there in January. If you aren't too far from Parramatta, I believe that the train link to Sydney CBD is good from there. Also, you can get to Sydney CBD via Rivercat - a beautiful way to commute in the morning!

Joanne

Guest tenquidder

On the same train line as Epping, but a bit further out, are suburbs like Beecroft, Cheltenham, Pennant Hills, Thornleigh, Normanhurst. Not sure how house prices compare to the hills district, but it might be worth a check on realestate.com.au.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest treesea

If you would like to see Baulkham Hills on the web, you can see it using the street scape feature on Google maps. It can be a bit fiddly to use. Use the N dial in the top corner for a 360 degree view at any time and the arrows to navigate along the streets. if You come to a street which you want ot go up but doesn't have an arrow, just click on the street and a line down the roadway complete with arrows should appear. It can be a bit out of date, but will give you a good idea of what Baulkham Hills, Epping etc look like.

I think with Sydney, if you have to go into the city for work, it is a good idea to live convenient to the train lines. I agree with the previous posters that Baulkham Hills is not that good for public transport.

Manly, just down from the Northern Beaches, is a nice place to live. Excellent ferry links into the city. A bit built up though, compared to places like Castle Hill and Baulkham Hills.

Archived