brickies work in perth

sean67

Not sure about the job situation Sean ... but my observations are that there are still a lot of new builds, also where I live I've noticed quite a few houses extending/renovating too, which to me means there must be work for Brickies.

Ali

We worry too what the situation is in Perth for brickies. Been told from brickies we know in Adelaide and Melbourne (no contacts in perth unfortunately) that there are lots of work available but might have to travel further but when I look at the Perth newspapers online it seems to be a bit doom and gloom - properties hard to sell, recession starting to hit Oz etc etc.

Guest sunseekers

Hi Sean

OH is a Brickie and we were heading to Perth ( Jan ) but a few contacts he has in that area said all the Brickies are now heading out of Perth to Brisbane/east coast way cos there is no work left in Perth. We are now heading to Brisbane...Sorry its vague but he is at the boozer ( he is a brickie ) and i dont really know the details. good luck anyhows x x

Guest julie2g1b

hi sean welcome to pio

we fly out next sat to validate OH is a brickie and were going to perth so will have a good look around, with going on a pr visa means at least not tied down to perth but with not selling the house yet, have no idea when or if we will be over for good. work may pick up but cant be as bad as over here if so will move to where ever the work is............

good luck when are you planning on going?

julie :wubclub:

I have been a brickie fior 28 yrs 15 of them yrs here in Perth.

There is not much work around atm, as been slowing down for well over a yr now, i have been lucky and only lost the odd day or two between jobs. On one hand a slump is good for home buyers and the building industry as it gets rid of all the crap trades.

As anyone coming here will soon learn when it booms everyone here is a brickie, people give up there normal jobs ie road sweepers, butchers what ever and start there own teams building houses, which means there are some absolute shocking work being done, and also keeps our price per 1000 down .

On the current situation i cant see it getting any better for awhile at least until mid next yr before it starts to pick up, there are alot of areas/sub divisions being developed and land being sold which is good and with the new first home buyers gov grant of $21,000 it should pick up, but will take time to filter through.

also remember any trade working on site even the cottage industry you must have a blue card (safety card) costs about $60 and you have to sit bored out of your skull for 8 hours then answer 20 simple questions.

thanks for that info i know what you mean, i worked over there for years it was very busy there when i left perth, i had a partner over there and we did a lot of work for ross north homes who were good to work for, also plunkett and rural building co.

hopefuly i can get a start.

Archived