day release for engineers

jack&mick

Hi

Sorry new to the site so hope I'm doing this right. My husband and I are hoping to move to australia gathering info at the moment before going ahead with visas. going on hubby's skills. He is a mechanical engineer who makes parts for aeroplane engines. He is also doing his engineering degree at the moment and was wondering if anyone knew if any companies offer day release so he can finish his degree while working over there. We are hoping to live in or near perth as he has family there. Also if anyone knows any info on mechanical engineering vacancies, schools for kids(9 and 6), cost of living etc It would be greatly appreciated.

jack&mick :wacko:

Hi

Sorry new to the site so hope I'm doing this right. My husband and I are hoping to move to australia gathering info at the moment before going ahead with visas. going on hubby's skills. He is a mechanical engineer who makes parts for aeroplane engines. He is also doing his engineering degree at the moment and was wondering if anyone knew if any companies offer day release so he can finish his degree while working over there. We are hoping to live in or near perth as he has family there. Also if anyone knows any info on mechanical engineering vacancies, schools for kids(9 and 6), cost of living etc It would be greatly appreciated.

jack&mick :wacko:

I'm not so sure about day release but companies often do help with further study. They will pay your fees (or part of) after a qualifying period (usually one years service say?).

They may even allow paid study leave, more usually unpaid leave for exams etc.

In engineering there are two levels of degrees BTech and BEng. The BTech is a three year degree whilst the BEng is four years (or part time equiv). The BTech being three years means you cannot qualify as a professional Engineer (CEng). This limits your job opportunities since you cannot sign off work in many instances - its all much more regulated than the UK that way (a very litigious society).

I used to work on aero engines (18 yrs) and 2 yrs airframe back in the UK. :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi wonder if you can help.

Having trouble deciding what my OH should put as his job description. He is a mechanical engineer( turner in a forge) He makes parts for areoplane engines. He dosn't have his degree yet but has HNC. would that be classed as engineer asosciate or just an engineering trades person.

jack&mick

Hi wonder if you can help.

Having trouble deciding what my OH should put as his job description. He is a mechanical engineer( turner in a forge) He makes parts for areoplane engines. He dosn't have his degree yet but has HNC. would that be classed as engineer asosciate or just an engineering trades person.

jack&mick

I wouldn't consider associate engineer route (para professional). You'll probably never get a visa that way.

Go through the tradesman route. A tradesman with an HNC rather than a CinG.

To call yourself a mech engineer in Aus you must have a minimum of a 4 yr degree. This is significant not just at migrancy stage but also job application stage.

I wouldn't consider associate engineer route (para professional). You'll probably never get a visa that way.

Go through the tradesman route. A tradesman with an HNC rather than a CinG.

To call yourself a mech engineer in Aus you must have a minimum of a 4 yr degree. This is significant not just at migrancy stage but also job application stage.

Thank you for your advice, thats what we thought. When he is looking through the job vacancies he has just been typing in CNC fitter/turner. Have you any idea what the job demand for this skill like.

jack&mick

Have you any idea what the job demand for this skill like.

jack&mick

There's good news and bad news.

The bad news is that business is slowing which means job opportunities are slowing also.

The good news is that however bad its going to get in Aus they're saying it'll be worse in UK and USA.

My view for what its worth is that whilst China is slowing its only marginal. They still need minerals and energy in big bucket loads and Australia is keen and able to supply it.

• 2 weeks later...
There's good news and bad news.

The bad news is that business is slowing which means job opportunities are slowing also.

The good news is that however bad its going to get in Aus they're saying it'll be worse in UK and USA.

My view for what its worth is that whilst China is slowing its only marginal. They still need minerals and energy in big bucket loads and Australia is keen and able to supply it.

Hi Thanks for the advice. We are still going to go ahead with visas but maybe try and secure a job before we get there. We are also ( I think ) going to apply for visas through Emigration Group as have heard really good things about them and they offer a recruitment service free of charge and send your CV out to different employers for you so hopefully that takes a bit of pressure off of us.

Jack&Mick

Archived