bricklaying practical this Thursday

Guest Andy

Hi everyone,

I have got my bricklaying practical this Thursday in London, are there any other brickies

doing the same day, and anyone out there already done theirs and can let me know what to expect, any imformation would be gratfully recieved.

Thanks

andrewepepin

Hi Andrew,

I did my bricklaying practical in London yesterday. It's a bloody long, exhausting day and I'm still knackered now. I was literally sh**ing a brick!, Then to top it all we had a long winded fire alarm half way through. There were 5 of us doing the test. You have a 15 min briefing then go straight to work. You have to build a cavity wall with a returned corner, raking cut and a pier with corbelling and brick on edge. It's pretty easy stuff but harder when you're nervous. There's also a 30 min question session covering the competencies in the Vetassess application. The Ozzie assessor, Mark, was a sound bloke.

You'll be fine, the worst bit is getting stressed about it beforehand. It was our assessors first day in the job so we were all nervous! He can't tell you the result at the end of the day but he will give you feedback (if you know what I mean!).

Hope this helps,

Damien

Guest meyou&thekids

Hi Andrew,

My husband did his test in Glasgow on 15th, he too found it to be a long hard day, especially as he set off at 04:30 to get there!! We are just waiting to hear from Vetassess/Agent how he did.

There were 5 of them too, 2 from London, 1 from Belfast and a Lithuanian from London who didn't speak very good English!

He said that he felt under pressure a little - and that it didn't help because the bricks had been used on the Monday and Tuesday and then cleaned off (you have to knock down and clean up your work/equipment before you leave) which meant they were damp and still had bits of cement on them. Still they seem to look more for your knowledge rather than perfection in your practical work.

All in All he and the assessor thought that things went well - the assessor said that because of the costs involved everyone that attended the practical knew their trade and that it was vary rare that anyone failed.

Good luck

Sharron x

Hi everyone,

I have got my bricklaying practical this Thursday in London, are there any other brickies

doing the same day, and anyone out there already done theirs and can let me know what to expect, any imformation would be gratfully recieved.

Thanks

andrewepepin

hi i did mine in july it's quite easy but make sure you do your best because out of 15 on the day of my test 2 failed but you could tell they wern't brickies, or hadn't done it for a while.

the test i did was the same as the one mentioned in other post.

good luck on yours mate

Hi everyone,

Thanks

andrewepepin

Hi Andrew sorry cant answer your questions but good luck for tomorrow.

sharon and Dan

Hi Andrew

Baz did his test yesterday in Accrington. He was nervous but as previous post's, if you know your stuff, no problem. Baz did mention he was glad his bricks were new as the next test will have to use their used bricks. He's quite optimistic as the assessor shook his hand at the end and said "hope you enjoy Australia"!!!

Good luck to all brickies taking their test.

Val

Hi Damien, thanks for info re practical it was very helpful, I found the day very stressful but managed to

finish about 3 oclock and the assessor gave me very positive vibes so am very happy and from your message it looks like you passed too so well done on that, now onto the next hurdle!

Andy.

Hi Damien, thanks for info re practical it was very helpful, I found the day very stressful but managed to

finish about 3 oclock and the assessor gave me very positive vibes so am very happy and from your message it looks like you passed too so well done on that, now onto the next hurdle!

Andy.

sounds like you did ok on your test andy well done

hope its a pass for you, you should be ok tho cause the assessor told 2 of the brickies who were on the same test as me to change things & do them again,ive since found out that they were the ones who failed, so don't worry mate you'll be ok :yes:

Archived