Want to move to the UK

Guest mensagirl

Guest mensagirl

I came to Oz from the UK when I was 15 Im now 43. I want to move back for personal reasons (albeit not for good) If I cant find a job straight away will I be entitled to social security? What other things will I need to know before I head that way seeing as I have never lived there as an adult?

Guest earlswood
I came to Oz from the UK when I was 15 Im now 43. I want to move back for personal reasons (albeit not for good) If I cant find a job straight away will I be entitled to social security? What other things will I need to know before I head that way seeing as I have never lived there as an adult?

Sorry mate Britain is.................

crowd-714834.jpg

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Mensagirl

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Benefits and financial support : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

Please see the website above. I think there is a qualifying residence period for most benefits (either six months or a year) but I do not know the details.

However I don't think they can refuse to give you anything at all. Even asylum seekers get instant benefits of some sort, which is what makes the UK so attractive to them.

I think it is more a question of working out which Benefit you would be able to claim.

In the relevant offices the staff have a legal duty to put you on to the best package for you, depending on your exact facts etc.

Best wishes

Gill

I'm sure I claimed a benefit until I found employment when I went back to UK, although that was at the end of the 70s and it may have all changed. I was born in the UK and held a UK passport too.

I wouldn't think that you would need social security if you were willing to do any job! My MIL worked in a meat packing factory, my sister in a sandwich factory and my BIL in a furniture factory before they got jobs in their professions. My Uncle got job seekers allowance after 4 month of being in the UK, he did work for 4 months first though and he is a UK citizen!

As far as I know as long as you have a NI number and you are paying taxes you can use the NHS as well

Guest mensagirl

I hold a British passport and am a citizen of the UK.

My query is only in case I find it difficult to find employment straight away...I have no intention to live off social security...One thing i am not, is a sap on society!

My query is only in case I find it difficult to find employment straight away...I have no intention to live off social security...One thing i am not, is a sap on society!

Sorry I hope that I didn't imply that! You certainly didn't come across as being a sap, just concerned about getting a job!

My wife,daughter and I came over from South Africa to The UK with £2500 and we have never been without work. So I'm sure, you having the right attitude, will be fine!

My partner and I went over to the UK with about £3000 and both got jobs within 3 weeks (we work in IT though...). I looked into the benefits situation at the time - from memory there are two types - first if you have contributed through NI, if not I think it is means tested on your savings.

Either way it wasn't a huge amount of money - maybe £60 a week ? At that rate you would probably have more in savings to tide you over.

It may seem if you are willing to work then you will not be entitiled......uk only give out handfulls to the people wanting to live off social security!!!

On a more seriouse note the uk is crying out for english speaking people to fill work positions, you will have no problems getting a job!!

Good luck with your move...

Archived