Moreton Bay Islands

Guest kiwi

Anyone know anyone living on any of these? Especially interested in Coochimudlo and Macleay. I know all about the facilites and attractions. I know the kids would go to Vic Point schools etc but wonder about an article i saw on hoons on Macleay causing trouble. Also would you get island fever? A 15 minute ferry ride doesn't seem too isolating, but the cost of taking your car back and forth to Macleay too often seems prohibitive.

So does anyone know anyone who has lived there? Any local gossip welcome.

One of my work mates live on Coochie and wouldn't live anywhere else. She has one car on the island and leaves one on the mainland. It's about 7 mins on the ferry and costs about $6 return. When taking your car it cost $38 e/w (I think thats about right). We have walked around it once, and it's just how I imagined Australia would be like. Truley beautiful. PM me with your email address if you want to see the pictures I took. (only about 20 of them)

Regards

Frank

Guest beermeister
but wonder about an article i saw on hoons on Macleay causing trouble

The media write stories they think will sell, I'm not saying there's no basis to the story you read, just remember to take the media with a grain of salt.

I've been to Coochie many times and Macleay once, but that was many years ago. My impressions: Coochie - lovely with good access to mainland; Macleay - not much there and loads of mozzies.

In all honesty, you'll probably be lucky to get a resident of either of these islands on this forum (I'll probably be proven wrong), so failing that, you should go and check it out and talk to some locals.

Any local gossip welcome

Gossip is fine as long as it comes from someone who knows what they're talking about....be wary of people passing on second hand information.

Thanks for that. We wondered if anyone kept a car on the mainland. Do you know where they park it?

We're just browsing. With the global economy the way it is we might not even make it to Oz yet. :no: Yes, we thought Coochie looked to have lovely beaches and a golf course and the advantage of being close to Vic Pt, but hoses a bit more expensive and lesser quality. Macleay has more shops, golf course, services, and a primary school but travel is more expensive but I hadn't thought of mossies. There is lots of mangrove and fewer beaches and mangrove tends to be mossieville.

The article was about violent youths attacking people at night and with no police presence on the island, at that stage, they tended to get away with it. I might contact the pub owner from the article to see what's happening now.

If we ever get there you are more than welcome to come visit and we're also looking forward to trying Moreton Bay bugs.

Thanks Kernow. I always forget about You tube. Just ran out of broadband so will have to look at it later. I have so much conflicting info from different forums now I think we'll just have to go and visit and ask the locals.

Guest Happyone
Anyone know anyone living on any of these? Especially interested in Coochimudlo and Macleay. I know all about the facilites and attractions. I know the kids would go to Vic Point schools etc but wonder about an article i saw on hoons on Macleay causing trouble. Also would you get island fever? A 15 minute ferry ride doesn't seem too isolating, but the cost of taking your car back and forth to Macleay too often seems prohibitive.

So does anyone know anyone who has lived there? Any local gossip welcome.

I know a few people who live on Coochie and Stradbroke Islands. Firstly, where are you going work? If you work in Redland City (i.e. Cleveland, Victoria Pt etc) then it wouldn't be too hard catching a boat to work. If you work in Brisbane City, it would be a huge commute. My friends on Coochie, like a lot of locals, don't take their cars back and forth - they leave the car on the mainland. If you are happy to risk vandals etc. that is fine. If you have a flash car, I wouldn't do it. Stradbroke is the best, great beaches (surf!) but at the end of school terms it gets overtaken by kids. Police have been taking alcohol of the underage ones when they get off the ferry. Coochie doesn't seem to have that problem but it's not really a big island. To live on Macleay or Coochie, you have to like the quiet life I guess. Police presence is limited but I haven't heard too many bad stories about Macleay or Coochie. And yes mozzies in summer are bad but I wouldn't say they are any worse than say Redland Bay or Victoria Pt.

Personally, I would get Island fever, but then I like going out to dinner a lot, theatre etc. You say you have kids - how about their weekend sports? Would it bother you to have to boat/drive to soccer or ballet?

There are so many great things to do if you live near Brisbane, like day trips to Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast (I'm at Camp Hill (6kms from CBD) and it takes me 45 mins to Surfers Paradise for a morning surf), hinterlands etc. that I would personally prefer to live on the mainland.

thanks for that. Yes it's those kind of charges that can ruin it for islanders. I read a similar complaint about the charge of the car ferry going up, which is why so many keep a car on the mainland.

We don't know where we'll work yet. Obviously, you wouldn't want to travel to the CBD, but we thought we'd look into it as jobs come up close to the Redland area now and then. The kids all go off Coochie to school on the ferry by themselves and there'd be after school sports they could join in. Macleay and Straddie have their own school and their own sports clubs and travel interisland and to the mainland for sports and music events etc. so I couldn't see us going back and forth on the ferry too much. It would be a matter of staying on the mainland after school to go to sport, dance etc.

There are restaurants, cafes and resorts on the islands but the ferries run until 11pm and its only 5 minutes to the mainland from Coochie so not too difficult to go to dinner, or to sort a babysitter and stay on the mainland for dinner - not that we go out that much. However, we might still get island fever. You never know. Dreams are free. But I am concerned about those car prices and where people park their cars if they leave them on the mainland all the time. I can see that if they leave them permanently parked at the ferry terminal there should be a charge.

Guest Happyone
thanks for that. Yes it's those kind of charges that can ruin it for islanders. I read a similar complaint about the charge of the car ferry going up, which is why so many keep a car on the mainland.

We don't know where we'll work yet. Obviously, you wouldn't want to travel to the CBD, but we thought we'd look into it as jobs come up close to the Redland area now and then. The kids all go off Coochie to school on the ferry by themselves and there'd be after school sports they could join in. Macleay and Straddie have their own school and their own sports clubs and travel interisland and to the mainland for sports and music events etc. so I couldn't see us going back and forth on the ferry too much. It would be a matter of staying on the mainland after school to go to sport, dance etc.

There are restaurants, cafes and resorts on the islands but the ferries run until 11pm and its only 5 minutes to the mainland from Coochie so not too difficult to go to dinner, or to sort a babysitter and stay on the mainland for dinner - not that we go out that much. However, we might still get island fever. You never know. Dreams are free. But I am concerned about those car prices and where people park their cars if they leave them on the mainland all the time. I can see that if they leave them permanently parked at the ferry terminal there should be a charge.

There is discussion by the council at the moment to bring in a charge of $9 a day for those who leave a car at the ferry terminal. Currently it is free. Most people I know of who live on the Islands just leave their car at Redland Bay ferry terminal.

Hmm. I suppose that's fair enough but if they charge that for overnight parking it could get expensive. On the other hand the return car ferry to Macleay costs about $69 so it's still cheaper than taking your car across each day. Thanks for that.

Archived