Aldinga beach

Guest marky

Hi to everyone reading this thread

Just looking on real estate at different places to settle down in once we arrive in oz. There are loads of suburbs that really appeal to me, but this one inparticular (Aldinga beach). This place seems too good to be true with house prices more than affordable, and great plots they are too. Any feed back on Aldinga beach would be greatly appreciated.

Hope to here from you all soon

Cheers

Mark.

Guest Guest9973

Hi Mark

I'm not too far away from Aldinga and drove through yesterday with some new arrivals.

It is a nice area- lots and lots of new building.

Nearly all of the houses are on the flat - so no sea views.

It is all a newish area so facilities are needing to catch up I little I feel.

The main concern I'd have is the distance to the city if you need to go in for work.

It is now the southern most suburb of Adelaide and can take 50 mins easy to get into the city.

In the long run I think prices will go up so it would be a good investment.

I know one or two that live down there and I think they feel a little isolated.

As ever........... have a look at a range of suburbs and although you have to keep to a budget - the cheap price might be saying something.

Have a look and make your own mind up.

Hope I've helped.

Guest TraceyB68
Hi to everyone reading this thread

Just looking on real estate at different places to settle down in once we arrive in oz. There are loads of suburbs that really appeal to me, but this one inparticular (Aldinga beach). This place seems too good to be true with house prices more than affordable, and great plots they are too. Any feed back on Aldinga beach would be greatly appreciated.

Hope to here from you all soon

Cheers

Mark.

Hia Mark

I to have come across Aldinga Beach and at the moment is top of my list especially as OH is a brickie so hoping with all the new housing development going on he will get work on his doorstep.

With regards to the City I don't think 50 mins is a bad timescale to get in, we're 30 mins from B'ham at the moment and if I'm honest we never go to the city so I don't think it will bother us, just depends on what you like.

Good luck with it all and you never know might be your neighbour out there

Tracey x:spinny:

Hi guys. Aldinga (and Aldinga Beach) is historically a holiday destination from the days when city folk had a shack (or weekender) to go to. Those days are long gone and there is a huge amount of building development going on - as the size of Adelaide gets bigger and the suburbs stretch further out. Prices do tend to be cheaper the further you are from Adeladie CBD (though there are always exceptions). The beaches down there are fantastic, good surf anywhere south of Hallett Cove, good diving, beautiful country drives and McLaren Vale wineries on the doorstep (I personnaly think this is the BEST winery region in SA - even better than the Barossa - and much under-rated). I agree with Tyke though, if your work is in or near the city I wouldn't go so far out - personally I think Hallett Cove would be my limit for city working. You don't come to Oz to spend all your time commuting.

Cheers.

PS you might want to hop over to pomsinadelaide.com as there's a few people on there talk regularly about the southern suburbs.

Hi Tracy and family

You say youre husband is a brickie, i myself am a carpenter/joiner so i suppose we would be looking at similar areas for work. How far through the process are you. We have only just begun the proces but it would be nice to be in touch with another family with similar places in mind. Aldinga beach seems a great affordable place for us and like you say we could even be neighbours one day. Hope to keep in tough and good luck.

My friend has just moved to Aldinga, which is about 25-30minutes from us in Hallett Cove(depending if the express way is open in the direction you are going.)

It is lovely down there and things are developing all the time, plus you can drive right on the beach there, but you have to pay $5 a time unless you are a resident of Onkaparinga council and then you can get a pass from the council. The nearest bigish shopping centre is Seaford, which is 10-15mins away or you have Collonades, which is about 20ish minutes away. They do have a Coles, bottleshop and takeaway at Aldinga, but not much else.

There is a primary school there, but no High school, they would have to go to Willunga high.

If you are a tradie, yes there are things being built at Aldinga/Seaford but you may not be lucky enough to get work on those sites. There may be times that you have to travel to the Northern/Eastern/Western suburbs, so you may have to some travelling time on your hands.

There is only one expressway, which doesn't go very far and only goes one way at certain times of the day, otherwise, depending where you work, you could find yourselves going along the South/Marion/Brighton/Tapley Hill Road/Anzac highway roads, in which case you will only be travelling mostly 60kms an hour and hitting traffic lights every 5 minutes. These roads are pretty jammed (not by UK standards) in peak hours.

You would obviously have to see for yourself when you get here, if it would be worth the commute.

J

My parents ahve bought a house in Aldinga and will be moving in shortly. My mum as already sussed out the community section and it seems already there's a good community spirit with clubs to join in, coffee mornings, line dancing etc......I might add they are retired!!

Judi x

Guest TraceyB68
Hi Tracy and family

You say youre husband is a brickie, i myself am a carpenter/joiner so i suppose we would be looking at similar areas for work. How far through the process are you. We have only just begun the proces but it would be nice to be in touch with another family with similar places in mind. Aldinga beach seems a great affordable place for us and like you say we could even be neighbours one day. Hope to keep in tough and good luck.

Hia Mark

Sorry for delay in replying been away for half term - very nice to.

We too are just at the beginning of the process but would love to keep in touch with you as you said it'll be nice to talk to a family at the same stages.

Will keep you posted

Tracey

My parents ahve bought a house in Aldinga and will be moving in shortly. My mum as already sussed out the community section and it seems already there's a good community spirit with clubs to join in, coffee mornings, line dancing etc......I might add they are retired!!

Judi x

suits me if everyone is over 90 years old, i want the quiet life now, burnt the candle to death for 30 years (BADLY) so time to slow down, im a bricky by trade and hoping theres work in aldinga or surrounds?

suits me if everyone is over 90 years old, i want the quiet life now, burnt the candle to death for 30 years (BADLY) so time to slow down, im a bricky by trade and hoping theres work in aldinga or surrounds?

Whoaaa, how old do you think I am, if parents over 90? :err::biglaugh:

They are in their 60's but yes, Aldinga does have its fair share of retiree's but also young families who are just starting out and want a good house at a good price.

J x

Guest TraceyB68

Hia Judi thanks for the post, I quite fancy abit of line-dancing, I might not be retired but I'm not exactly a spring chicken LOL !!!!!

Pablo, as a fellow brickie keep me posted on what you find out and we'll do the same.

Paul & Tracey

Whoaaa, how old do you think I am, if parents over 90? :err::biglaugh:

They are in their 60's but yes, Aldinga does have its fair share of retiree's but also young families who are just starting out and want a good house at a good price.

J x

just me exaggerating mate, my parents are 70 and 67 btw,maybe in a while you might be able to advise me further on aldinga? thx for reply anyway j, to paul and tracy, no probs, will do

• 1 month later...
Guest Chatterbox

Hi Tracy & Family

We have only just registered on the forum and note that you too are looking to emigrate to Aldinga Beach in Oz. We are just waiting for our Visa to come through might be before Xmas if not should be January 09, we started the process in March 2007 so it has taken ages. My Husband is a Brickie to so we thought Aldinga looked good with all the new development going on. Building work is desperate here at the mo isn't it! We have a young family also 2 sons George 4 and Harry 10 months. Think you may live near us also. We live in Coventry. Would like to keep in touch as you never know we to could be neighbours in Aldinga. Hope to hear back from you soon. Hermione, Stephen, George (4) & Harry (10 months)

Hia Judi thanks for the post, I quite fancy abit of line-dancing, I might not be retired but I'm not exactly a spring chicken LOL !!!!!

Pablo, as a fellow brickie keep me posted on what you find out and we'll do the same.

Paul & Tracey

i will mate,if we ever sell the house so we can get there:frownxmas:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ellie3
Hi Tracy & Family

We have only just registered on the forum and note that you too are looking to emigrate to Aldinga Beach in Oz. We are just waiting for our Visa to come through might be before Xmas if not should be January 09, we started the process in March 2007 so it has taken ages. My Husband is a Brickie to so we thought Aldinga looked good with all the new development going on. Building work is desperate here at the mo isn't it! We have a young family also 2 sons George 4 and Harry 10 months. Think you may live near us also. We live in Coventry. Would like to keep in touch as you never know we to could be neighbours in Aldinga. Hope to hear back from you soon. Hermione, Stephen, George (4) & Harry (10 months)

Hi, I'm Ellie. I have just registered, I have been a member of Poms in Adelaide for quite some time. We definately want to move to Aldinga. We don't want to be in a ready made village we want somewhere we can grow with. I'm so looking forward to it and with how the weather is at the moment we can't wait. My Husband is a Brickie and losing time off work is not what we need right now is it? I'm sure they are all in the same boat. Each year gets worse it's so frustrating. It would be just nice to have a steady income instead of the weather being against him all year and we never know what he will earn week to week! I'm looking forward to spending more time with Kirsty as she is 11 now and they grow so quickly. My Son busy travelling the world!! Max has his assessment in February be glad when it's over. Have had the house on the market for a couple of months but a bad time to sell.

Guest J-inOz

Hello Ellie, I just noticed your comment about steady work. I can't comment on brickies' work as other half is a carpenter. However, if it is anything like carpentry, he may not always have steady work. Even though there are houses being built all the time, it's not always that easy to drop into work.

Some people are lucky and fall straight into it and have continuity, others don't.

Things are done a lot different here as in one builder doesn't own all of the site.

There could be quite a few building companies on one site, where as in the UK, you could be guaranteed to have work on all of the site.

Most of the jobs obtained here are through networking (word of mouth etc).

He will most probably have to cold call on sites too. This is because a lot of jobs aren't advertised.

Sorry I don't want to throw a spanner in the works for you, but forwarned etc.

Regarding Aldinga, you might want to wait to you get here to see how far away it can be from places has hubby might not always get work in the South.

Good luck.

Julie

Guest Ellie3
Hello Ellie, I just noticed your comment about steady work. I can't comment on brickies' work as other half is a carpenter. However, if it is anything like carpentry, he may not always have steady work. Even though there are houses being built all the time, it's not always that easy to drop into work.

Some people are lucky and fall straight into it and have continuity, others don't.

Things are done a lot different here as in one builder doesn't own all of the site.

There could be quite a few building companies on one site, where as in the UK, you could be guaranteed to have work on all of the site.

Most of the jobs obtained here are through networking (word of mouth etc).

He will most probably have to cold call on sites too. This is because a lot of jobs aren't advertised.

Sorry I don't want to throw a spanner in the works for you, but forwarned etc.

Regarding Aldinga, you might want to wait to you get here to see how far away it can be from places has hubby might not always get work in the South.

Good luck.

Julie

Thanks for that Julie, I value your thoughts especially as you are already there. Can't be any worse than here at the moment though. We said we will give it a go at least we won't regret not trying. If it doesn't work out we can always come back.....:sad: Luke busy with his career and Kirsty is only 11 so it seems the ideal time to make the move. I think we would have more of a problem if she was a teenager and more settled with friends, school etc.

Archived