Car insurance and no claims discount

Guest ScottK

I will be moving to Oz shortly (Darwin in December!) and have a quick question regarding car insurance.

Do Aussie insurance companies offer no claims discount? If so, will they take into account any NCD I have on my UK policy?

Cheers.

ScottK

I will be moving to Oz shortly (Darwin in December!) and have a quick question regarding car insurance.

Do Aussie insurance companies offer no claims discount? If so, will they take into account any NCD I have on my UK policy?

Cheers.

ScottK

Hi Scott. I have no idea, I'm afraid, but my OH and I were discussing this the other day - although we'll be able to get our no claims certificate from our current insurers so will be taking that with us in the hope that it is transferrable in some shape or form.

Hope someone else out there can answer the question!?

Cheers.

ScottK

Hya Scott:

Not sure if it's the same Up North, but think it is - Car insurance is delightfully cheaper than it is in UK and YES, if it's the same as TAS, you will be able to get your No Claims - because - believe it or NOT - when you fill out the application & you truthfully (YOU DO HAVE TO BE TRUTHFUL, by Penalty of Law) you state whether you have committed any offenses, etc., etc., and you honestly have to complete all details & because you have been honest they HAVE TO believe you, what a SURPRISE!!! :notworthy: You will get the best deal based on your driving record... We have ours through the Bendigo Bank who are really good & had the best rates we could find (really like this bank) also our home & contents insurance - so of course will get Xtra discounts for that. There is a small stamp duty & GST tax, but even so I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised - I know that was one of the BIG worries for us - no stress man - easy peasy! :jiggy:

XxX

Sounds good!

Thank you.

Now I will just need to get a car....

EASY TOO! We got a KIA - but if we'd waited our 2lt 5-dr NEW auto with $1k free fuel would have dropped a couple thou, now well UNDER $20K, I think hubby said around $18K - amazing deal, great car - and the SERVICE - AMAZING - They Text you day before to remind you, take you to your office from the dealership, pick you up when service is complete - FIRST SERVICE FREE!!! I mean it's like Dubai - they treat you like Royalty! DJ Motors in Glenorchy, TAS - you deserve the credit... It's is JUST AMAZING....

For heaven's sake, don't be worrying over the Insurance - I did just the same, complete waste of time! CGU are the Insurers out of Melbourne... Hope that helps!

AND DOES THIS SOUND LIKE BRITAIN TWENTY YEARS AGO OR IN THE 1970'S - I DON'T THINK SO?!!

We brought our no claim bonus and was told by numerous places it didnt make any difference so it was a waste of time bringing them.

We brought our no claim bonus and was told by numerous places it didnt make any difference so it was a waste of time bringing them.

You're RIGHT - don't bother; you don't need it - just as you shouldn't in UK, if the same principal applied - they ask the Q's you tell the truth - premium based on Driving Record - And half the UK Ins companies won't GIVE you one anyway - as if it's some Treat to be begged for... Insurance is def MUCH better in OZ! And cheaper - just don't start suing each other pleaseeee, & spoil it all...

X

Archived