Help! - Electrical Practical vetassess exam

Guest The Whitesides

Guest The Whitesides

Hi everyone

Is there anyone out there who has recently successfully completed their electrical practical vetassess exam.

I have mine at Blackburn College in two weeks time.

I've been reading up and trying to revise but it's difficult to know exactly what they are looking for especially around DOL starters.

Also, I haven't been informed by Vetassess that I need to take my own tools but I've read on some of the threads that you do need them with you.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Many thanks.

Greg :arghh:

Guest susie one

Hi Greg...this is ian and i too have my test in blackburn in 2 weeks but this is my 2nd one so i do have experience of this but i had mine in london in april.

you do need to take your own tools,make sure you have safety glasses and wear your boots,the motor cicuit is not an actual circuit to assemble but a pin board with lots of wires with pins on the end,it would be better if i could speek to you as i think it could benefit the two of us over the next two weeks and ease my nerves a bit,my number is zero,seven,seven,three,eight,three,three,nine,six,zero,one...feel free to call me anytime and i am sure i can answer a lot of your questions,and you may be able to answer some of mine.....

Cheers mate

Guest The Whitesides

Cheers Ian for that.

I'll give you a ring tomorrow evening if that's o.k and we have a good chat about it.

Thanks again.

Greg.

Guest thedohertys

Hiya, I'm a spark too and my test is @ Blackburn on the 28th. Just searching my way thru 'poms' for any hints of what to expect on the day!

Chris Macs post are helpful if you need owt?

Am getting nervous now tho, one of the most important (and expensive!) tests I've ever done!:arghh:

Guest chris_mac

Guys

Please search my threads and posts... Everything is covered.

Good luck!

Chris

General Electrician

Applied TRA Aug 07

TRA Retuned Oct (Skill path D removed)

Re-applied Vetassess 01.01.08

Vetassess Paper Assess Passed 10.04.08

House up for sale 28.03.08 sold 14.04.08 (3 weeks, crikey)

Vetassess Practical 15.07.08

Practical Passed 11.08.08

176 Visa Application submitted 11.09.08

DIAC Acknowledgement 24.09.08

Sent Police checks 27.08.08 - Recieved 06.09.08

Guest thedohertys

Thanks Chris, just wondering about the DOL? This is the 1st time someone has said its on a pinboard?! Unsure what to expect now...

Guest chris_mac
Thanks Chris, just wondering about the DOL? This is the 1st time someone has said its on a pinboard?! Unsure what to expect now...

You do actually wire the DOL starter from scratch with remote stop and start with actual wires and screwdrivers!. The pin bit is simply 3 wires simulating the 3 phase connection for the DOL, either star or delta just to demonstrate you know in theory how to wire it... Dont worry!

Guest The Whitesides

Thanks everyone!

Your advice has been really helpful and good luck to all of you taking your practicals in October.

Best wishes.

Greg

Guest thedohertys

Thanks!

Good luck to everyone too, may see some of you there.

Also Blackburn college has loads of places for your lunch nearby McDonalds, KFC, chippies... if you dont fancy your butties!!!

they may also sak you to do a disconnect & recconect of an appliance, im not to sure if this is done at this stage or further down the track, however if you dont do it like they want you to then you fail right away, would you like me to posy there version of the disconnect & reconnect of an appliance.

as one person said on here take all you safety gear with you, also make sure you take your testers they must be in calibration.

all the best to you

Oh when you get a break at lunch time just round the corner from blackbur college is a pub called the Jubilee, its right across from king georges hall (1 min walk from the college) they do very cheap luntime meals & very decent indeed.

all the best

Arthur

Guest The Whitesides

Thanks Arthur, that's really helpful.

You mentioned that you could post the version that is required for a disconnect/reconnect of an appliance, if you could let me have the details I'd be really grateful.

Cheers.

Greg

Greg, here is the procedure for the Disconnect/Reconnect.

i got this from VETASSES site but have changed some of it so "Normal" people like us can make sense of it all.

if you need any more assistance just ask .

This Disconnection & Reconnect Process may seem over the Top but that’s the way the people doing it all seem to like it done.

If you DON’T do it step by step the powers that be shall “FAIL You.

Disconnection Process

Personnel to be notified in immediate area that you are to commence disconnection and

Interruption to supply for the Appliance.

Will the removal of protective devices (Fuses, Circuit Breakers) affect essential services?

(Fire equipment & Lifts).

Test voltage tester at known `LIVE’ source for correct operation before use (Essential).

(There shall be a 230V power point close by for your testing)

Ensure the frame of the equipment is not `LIVE’ by testing between frame/chassis

And the known earth. (There shall be a power point close by).

Test your voltage tester at known `LIVE’ source for correct operation after use.

(Again power point close to appliance).

Record operational details of appliance. KW & Voltage.

Record direction of rotation (DOR) of motor (where applicable)

Complete details on danger tags. E.g. Name, date, fault, etc

Affix danger tags to isolation points. E.g. appliance, isolating switch, switchboard, etc.

Determine location of appropriate protective device.

“Never” leave exposed LIVE terminals/conductors at switchboard or appliance.

(Once again) Test voltage tester at known `LIVE’ source for correct operation before use.

Before touching appliance conductors, test for LIVE!

Test between - all conductors & known earth.

This test also includes testing for LIVE between the protective earthing conductor

& the known earth.

Test Voltage Tester for correct operation on known LIVE source after using it.

Isolate protective device by applying lock-dog & lock or inserting ‘dummy’ fuse wedge in

Fuse base. (You can also use a padlock for security for locking of) To stop others re-energising the circuit.

Terminate conductors in approved manner Active 1st (Live) 2nd Neutral, 3rd Earth cables and enclose in junction box. Cable ends must be fully insulated.

Affix Danger Tag to terminated conductors enclosed in junction box.

Ensure terminated conductors are protected against mechanical damage.

Clean up work area & notify personnel.

Reconnection Process

Notify personnel of return to work site

Ensure the appliance to be reconnected is of the same operational ratings. E.g. KW,

Amperes, voltage, etc.(DO NOT Touch the appliance)

Test for LIVE at the Appliance from a good known source of power.

Test Insulation Resistance & Continuity tester on both Meg Ohm (500V) and Ohm scale

for correct operation. (Ensure your Testers are fully in Calibration) (they should have a label on stating the Test Date & expiry Date).

Carry out the insulation resistance test of the appliance.

Test between all active & neutral conductors to the earth contact of the appliance.

(Note) Cables Containing sheathed heating elements – Not less than 0.01 Meg _Ohm

All other cable testing must achieve a minimum reading of 1Meg_Ohm.

Before touching final sub-circuit conductors, test for LIVE!

Test between - all conductors & the known earth.

This test also includes testing for LIVE between the protective earthing conductor

& the effective earth.

The final sub-circuit conductors must also be tested for LIVE by testing between all

Conductors. This includes the protective earthing conductor.

Test Voltage Tester for correct operation on known LIVE source after using it.

Reconnect final sub-circuit wiring to appliance terminals.

Carry out continuity test on final sub-circuit protective earthing conductor from effective

Earth to frame of appliance.

(This test should be carried out after the circuit conductors have been connected

to the equipment terminals and before the power has been restored).

Notify personnel of restoration of power.

Do not leave exposed LIVE terminals/conductors at switchboard or appliance.

Remove lock, lock-dog and switch on circuit breaker or insert correct fuse wedge to

Restore power.

Check appliance for correct operation. DOR. (Direction of Rotation)

Clean up work area & notify personnel.

(People think they are working on 230V)

you shall be working via a PLC in actual fact it shall be 12V or 24V but displaying 230V

you wont know its a PLC

Please Note: Testing the voltage tester for correct operation after use is critical when the person testing the appliance is going to touch the conductors/components on the belief they are de-energised.

Regards

Arthur Quinn

The_Pom_From_Aus

Guest lynnette

hi just wondering what is a vetassess, my other half brian is a plasterer does he have to have 1 or is it just for electricians, omg, theres so much to find out haha

Guest Phantom

Cool

Thanx No1Spark. for that info on diconnect/reconnect.

Now just got to find out what other tests one has to do besideds the DOL.

How many tests are there in total ?

Can anyone give us an idea?

Thanx in advance

Phanton, somebody on Ex Pats was saying you have to complete 6 out of 8 tasks, that shall be a mix of practical & theory, i was also told while your doing your test's the person shall be asking you technical questions as you work i suppose thats to see if people can think on there feet.

if i can be of any more help just ask or send me a P/M then i can reply with my home email address

• 5 years later...

Hello, I have my exam next week and trying to get my head around the disconnect and reconnect procedure, I can't make out if the equipment is already isolated as why would I be testing for live then right at the end isolate the circuit and disconnect the piece of equipment without retesting. Where it says determine location of protective device that I should isolate it there..ah I dunno

Guest Guest95262

Ok so done it today and passed, like others say its no nearly as bad as you would think the theory was pretty easy although i was certain I had donne worse than i did as i seemed to be writhing the same thing for every question

loads on safe isolations

bit on ohms law but only very basic

some power calculation p = vi i = p/v etc but all very basic stuff

few questions on ac & dc differences uses transmission

few low voltage questions like ranges

lots of health and safety, whats in low voltage first aid pack ect

one or two on high voltage i think mine was why is it ran in air not underground

calculate voltage drop with formula, just make sure you know how to read the am% table i messed that up on one all information and formula given

few fault questions and how to wire circuits.

i spent 3 days revising all sorts of in depth stuff which i didn't even need so my advice is keep to basic principals and formulas because any hard formula was given

dol motor was really easy i had some drawings from another forum but it was wired for me i just had to put the wires in the connection i think they are looking for the circuit diagram here if you do that right the actual wiring will be right.

live to common on isolate switch (3 phase isolator with extra small switch to cut of control at same time) out of isolator to em stop out of em stop to stop out of stop to thermal 95 out of thermal 96 to 13 out of 14 to a1......a2 to neutral......remember auxiliary hold on is in parallel with start. i had to test this by removing links i had a few questions about motors like what to do if motor is running sluggish and how to test motor what is grinding and identify how the motor was wired star or delta, what has happened if phases are reversed ect

domestic board again was all wired i had to terminate then test ir and r1 + r2 fill out test sheet, easy. i also had to then choose cable and breaker i would use using maximum demand table given, id never used one so i messed it up loads had scribbles all over my paper, while he didn't help me directly he did explain certain questions and jobs better than they were written so i then knew how to do it. you then answer a few questions on faults and readings.

after that i had to go through my theory and explain my answers and answers i had given to the practical but it was all very laid back. honestly with all the mess id made of my paper work i thought i would fail but as long as you get to the right answer it didn't seem to matter, like i said it wasn't a straight fail by the look of things you would be given a chance to figure it out. but there was a guy who was re sitting his theory exam so its not a pass just for turning up, and he did seem keen on the motor diagram.

Archived