WERE MOVING FROM LANCASHIRE TO OZ IN JUNE 2006

Guest poeblo

Guest poeblo

Hi Everyone, wow I have been looking for a site like this for ages, Iam Paula married to Andrew with twins aged 7yrs, were looking to move where I can get work as a travel consultant or reservations manager , were told Sydney is best but we are also looking at Brisbane.....

Gosh we have loads of questions, from renting , schools, transport, driving licences , moving our stuff and our money, I am sure youre all familiar with these questions , I hope to make friends with some of you here also

Regards

Paula

Welcome Paula

I'm Sharon, planning to migrate next year, red tape allowing?! :? Hoping to settle in North New South Wales with my small boy and three dogs!! Gonna cost me a fortune! Not too sure at present whether this will be feasible on the job front.

This site is great you feel like your getting the information straight from the horses mouth and get to meet great people at the same time.

Do you have your visa, or playing the waiting game like so many?

Hope it all goes well for you.

Take care

Sharon :D

Guest poeblo

Hi Sharon

Thank you for youre reply, we already have our visas and visited OZ in Sep 2003 to get them validated.

Not to boar you with to much stuff, but the reason we havnt moved yet is my dad died in March 2003 and we got our visas through in Feb of that year, at the time too much was going on here with family and losing dad, that we delayed our descison .

Now I am ready and cant wait !!!! I have registered with a recruitment agency in Sydney and were sussing areas around Sydney out .

Originally we wanted Brisbane as my family live there, my Hubbies sister lives in Canberra , so Sydney seems like the right place to settle ...

However when we were there in 2003 we only had 2 days in Sydney so didnt see much . We sepnt more time with family, now although Canberra isnt an option ( nothing there ??) we spent a good deal of time sussing Brisbane out , I have been twice and love the place .

It seems I have more options work wise in Sydney and were only 3 hrs away from Julie in Canberra and my hubbie has very little family here so its his turn to be close to someone I reckon .

So whats your story ? why are you moving ( I know silly question ) I cant wait to hear from you , as long as weve been on with this I havnt found a site like this , how fantastic

Look forward to hearing from you Sharon

My email is poeblo@tiscali.co.uk

Regards

Paula

Hi Paula

I'm not quite in the same position as you, since we moved over here with pretty much no responsibilities (no house, no kids!) but I'll give you my pennies worth if it helps some :)

We've been here nearly six months now and it gets easier as time goes by. I was pining big time for my mates to start with. I still am, but its not as bad as it was, although a lot of the time I find myself thinking - 'oh the girls would love this' and so on. I miss my family but we didnt see them that much anyway so its not too big an issue. We;re temporary residents on business visas, so its a slightly different situation. I know you need to apply for your Aussie driving licence within 3 months of moving over here if you're a permanent - otherwise you have to retake your test - so make sure you sort that out! When we came over it was April, and the flight deals were pretty good (well, if you class 650 quid as 'cheap'!). We came with Singapore air and did a free stopover there. We can change our return flight home at no charge within the year. I think quantas generally do the best deals though. (anyone feel free to argue - its been a long timesince i checked) When we first got here, we stayed in a private room in a hostel for a week or so.

We used excess baggage to have our stuffed shipped over. We found them pretty convenient, and they stored our things until we had a shipping address. If you check my other posts, I've written a kind of review on them (I think - it could have been on another site!)

As far as renting goes, we found a unit (apartment) quite quickly (ie within a week). We live on the North Shore, in Artarmon, which is about a 20 minute train journey into the city. We find it probably a bit too quiet for our liking, but its within easy reach of more 'lively' places. I'm not sure if with the twins what you'd prefer. There are always a lot of schoolkids in different uniforms on the train, so there must be a fair few schools in the vicinity, but as it doesnt affect me I don't take much notice. The kids are so well behaved here it never fails to amaze me! Generally its a 6 month minimum rental. I'd advise sticking 'fairly' close to the city to start with so you have a chance to explore and get to know the surrounding area, then consider places further afield, where the house prices are very cheap compared to UK. check out http://www.domain.com.au.

Jobswise - Im not really much help. Check out http://www.seek.com.au for an idea of jobs in your area of expertise. I'm in IT and hubby is an accountant, and there are a lot of jobs available to us at the moment. If you're not keen on the city itself, places like Paramatta are pretty big and probably full of opportunities for people in the travel industry.

Ok, I'd better go my lunch break is over so I'll stop waffling. If theres anything specific I might be able to help with feel free to ask!

Lynn x

Guest louisethepom

:lol: Hi if you move to Sydney you will strugle with the weather, Sydney is vey humid and muggy it can look cold and grey outside but still be very hot, brisbane is very tropical and the sun shines from 5am so everyone is up and out, tazzie is like the UK for weather, i'm not sure about SA, WA is nice but they don't have winter as such, it is very mild.Victoria has 4 seasons in one day, it is very unpredictable so i would say that this is more like england also Sydney is very exspensive.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest julieann

hello paula,

I'm julie from blackburn and i am hoping to emigrate soon when my daughter has done her gcse's. This is a great site and our dilemma is where in australia to settle, i would love some feedback from you. I am a staff nurse and would like to be where its quite busy, dont like driving long way too much,

How long does the whole process take and can you delay things a little if personal things crop up,

thanks

julie.

Guest Ian & Sarah
:lol: Hi if you move to Sydney you will strugle with the weather, Sydney is vey humid and muggy

Wow - it's Australia......that's what happens in summer. Saying that, their summer (when it is like that) would be easier to cope with in Sydney as opposed to a stifling hot day like that in Adelaide or Melbourne.

I wouldn't be able to cope with living in somewhere as Cairns or Darwin - year round humidity.

Out of 365 days, you would only get probably about 30-50 days like that a year (and that would be lucky)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rina parkes

hi this is marina from aus,well i can tell you nsw is the place to be i moved 4 months to qld and i;m moving back,too bloody hot.

Guest ABCDiamond
hi this is marina from aus,well i can tell you nsw is the place to be i moved 4 months to qld and i;m moving back,too bloody hot.
Interesting :) We moved from Sydney to QLD, and are staying in QLD, as it is cooler than Sydney :D

The reason why... In Sydney, we were in the Outer Western suburbs, but here in Brisbane, we are in the Bayside Suburbs.

The West gets hotter !! And that applies to both QLD & NSW.

Ipswich, 40kms SW of Brisbane can reach 40°C, whilst over here on the Bay, 36km SE of Brisbane, it may only be 30°C

Some examples of temps last month

QLD

Ipswich highest 40.2C

Bayside highest 32.1 °C

compared to Sydney City with a highest of 33.9C

During last Summer in NSW, the highest temps I have found are;

Penrith, Sydney West, reached 44.3C in Jan 2005

Sydney itself reached 40.0C in Dec 2004

whilst my area hasn't been over 33.0 °C (it's the famous Brisbane Bayside Breezes that does it :D )

However, you won't get me moving anywhere else in QLD, it can get too hot !! ;)

Temperature sources from:

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/index.shtml

and

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=I90580255&day=14&year=2005&month=11&graphspan=year

Guest rina parkes

yeh ur right abc, i have just arrived from cold southern highlands of nsw so i'm feeling the heat a little;but i suppose i should be grateful, i look out to the beautiful sunrise over fraser island every morning.thanks i will view it more positive.

Guest rina parkes

yeh ur right abc, i have just arrived from cold southern highlands of nsw so i'm feeling the heat a little;but i suppose i should be grateful, i look out to the beautiful sunrise over fraser island every morning.thanks i will view it more positive.

• 2 years later...
Guest hams we are

Yes i olso live on the Fraser Coast fastest growing town at the moment Hervey Bay with it's great beaches so much to do here for all age groups. from Brisbane 299km about four hours drive north.

Sydney very expensive , Flights from Sydney to Hervey Bay. go to Google Maps have a look. Good luck to all who are about to make the move, Hams we are.

Guest adey
Welcome Paula

I'm Sharon, planning to migrate next year, red tape allowing?! :? Hoping to settle in North New South Wales with my small boy and three dogs!! Gonna cost me a fortune! Not too sure at present whether this will be feasible on the job front.

This site is great you feel like your getting the information straight from the horses mouth and get to meet great people at the same time.

Do you have your visa, or playing the waiting game like so many?

Hope it all goes well for you.

Take care

Sharon :D

Not being negative or anything but I'd try to find a house to rent before you come over as alot of the Shires (councils) only allow two dogs per house so you may struggle to find an area to live in which will allow you to have three dogs. Also if you're dogs are house dogs (like ours was in the UK) landlords won't always be happy about this as dogs over here are outside dogs and cats are kept in the house (weird but true). Our dog happily stays outside all day now but we do allow her to sleep inside at night but had to ask permission from our landlord to do this. She wouldn't stay outside all day in the UK so thank god quarantine prepared her for it and she's happy out there now.

wow ,this thread is way way old ,,Paula or Poeblo who is the original poster has been happily living inIpswich for the last 12months.As for Scoop any old timers on here know what happened,i remember things getting put on hold but not sure after that.Ali do you remember?

Cal x

Archived