Armadale or RPH?

Guest 1982blair

Guest 1982blair

Hi

I have just been offered a job at Armadale Health Service and at Royal Perth Hospital and am very confused over which one to except!! Can anyone tell me anything about either of them and what they are like to work at? At the moment the package Armadale is offering sounds more attractive but don't know much about the area, if anyone can shed any light for me it would be much appreciated!!

Many thanks

Blair

Hi Blair, I work at Armadale and Kelmscott Memorial hospital in mental health. Can't comment about RPH, but Armadale is smaller and therefore has a more community/family feel to it. Like everywhere there is a shortage of staff but that will be true of all hospitals (don't let them tell you otherwise), it's a state/country wide problem.

I wouldn't personally live in Armadale, although a lot of money has been spent on the shopping centre and it has good amenities. Surrounding suburbs of Rolystone (I have a friend there), Mount Nassura, Byford are nicer (but that's only my opinion). I live in Leeming which is about a 20 - 25 min drive away. Closer suburbs which are also nice are Canning Vale and Southern River

Guest guest17301

Hi Blair,

I have a job at the Royal Perth, due to start in January. Can't tell you much as I'm not there yet but I do know that....

train links to the hospital look excellent,

it's in the middle of the city,

it's a large teaching hospital,

terms and conditions are what you would expect from a large public hospital (ie good),

communication from my managers has been, so far, excellent

and they offer PR sponsorship after 3 months.

Good luck in making your decision and feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Fiona

Guest BullcreekBob

Hiya Blair

If you spoke to 10 hospitals in Perth you would probably get 10 offers of a job. Part of the reason, I'm sure is that you're a wonderful nurse :), the other thing is, ALL the hospitals are always on the lookout for staff.

My wife works at RPH and she spent a few months at Armadale/Kelmscott whilst she did her refresher training after having been out of nursing for a while. She prefers RPH because it's a bigger hospital. As a bigger hospital, it tends to have more toys and equipment and does more complex surgical procedures (which Gillian loves).

But both hospitals are good, just different. Both are full of pommie nurses :) It really comes down to what type of hospital or ward YOU prefer to work in.

Guest 1982blair

Hi Ali,

Thanks for the info you have provided me. After a sleepless night and lots of discussions with my husband we have finally decided to go for the Armadale offer. They were offering us a better package and a few other people who I have spoken too agreed with you that as it is a smaller hospital, it has more community/family feel to it. I feel like I have had a huge weight lifted of my shoulders now I have made a decision, but am sure that the stress is only now about the begin!!

• 3 months later...
Guest lisaarthurton

Hi Blair

Im quite new to this site aswell. Im a gynae nurse and have just received my permanent residency visa. Last year hubby and I visited WA and visited loads of hospitals. My main favorite 2 were King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women (in Subiacco) and Armadale - Kelmscott Memorial Hospital. I met the staff and walked around the hospitals. Surprised there were so many Bitish people working there. For my type of nursing King Edward is more appropriate but I have to say there was just that certain something about Armadale - Kelmscott. They were lovely and so welcoming. They also have lots of gynae with a leaning towards young pregnancies and STI's so its more my thing. King Edwards has a wonderful reputation but was stuck in the middle of a busy city and had virtually no parking and was not a very friendly atmosphere. So I hope to be working in Armadale aswell by the end of the year when we have things sorted here. Maybe see you there. Back to house hunting now on realestate.com.au.

Lisa

Guest 1982blair

Hi Lisa

I am starting work in July at armadale and am so looking forward to it now, I think I definatley made the right choice between hospitals, when I had my interview with RPH I just felt like they were lacking something whereas armadale have been brilliant and have been in regular contact since I excepted the job. Maybe we could meet up for a coffee when you arrive?

Take care

Blair x

Hi Lisa

I am starting work in July at armadale and am so looking forward to it now, I think I definatley made the right choice between hospitals, when I had my interview with RPH I just felt like they were lacking something whereas armadale have been brilliant and have been in regular contact since I excepted the job. Maybe we could meet up for a coffee when you arrive?

Take care

Blair x

If you are leaving the uk becos of the crime armadale is a bit rough , the rail line has the highest percenrage of crime in the perth transit zone , but as its usually native perpettrators its not publicised

maly

I don't think they're going to be living in Armadale Mal - just working there. There are actually some lovely parts of Armadale, especially with the new suburbs like Harrisdale sprouting up (within the city of Armadale). The shopping centre is terrific and they've spent a lot of money on modernising and creating amenities.

Ali

Guest 1982blair

You are right Ali we are not neccessarily planning on living in Armadale just working there, but a lot of people have been telling us that Armadale is on its way up as an area and that it is not as rough as it used to be!

Hi Lisa

Take care

Blair x

You wil find they are the same trust southwest

Mally

Archived