painting in perth

davet19650

hi to all you painter decorators in perth

coming over to oz in the near future on a skilled visa

trying to get some feedback on the best places to live and work as undecided yet where to move to.

can anyone out there tell me what the work situation is like in perth, easy to get a job on arrival , is there much building going on ie new build sites, and whats the wages like compared to the rest of oz, been on careerone.com seem to be a few jobs on there and also as you probably know the weather back here in the uk is naff hows the year round weather like over there ,heard its nice all year round?

any info greatly appeciated

Dave

Guest emi-great

Hi Dave

We have had a few painters arrrive to stay with us & they have all managed to find work ok... not sure on the wages though

Check the following sites they may help

www.careerone.com.au

www.seek.com.au

www.jobs.wa.gov.au

Combined Painting Contractors Perth, House Painting in Perth, Western Australia, Residential & Commercial Painting Contractor WA, Painting Services & Perth Painting Company - ADTA

Master Painters WA - Painters Registration Board

The weather is not always good but I think that apart from a few weeks in our mid winter July/August you will be happy with the weather. We get quite a lot of rain in the winter, overcast days & sometime high winds. But it rarely goes on for weeks & the bad days are often interspersed with a bright sunny day just to keep you going. Because the homes here are built for the heat (with tiled floors etc)rather than the cold you can find it chilly during the winter nights but in general we enjoy fairly nice weather the majority of the year.

Eve

www.emi-great.com

Hello Dave,

I'm one of those that eves talking about.

Painting jobs will be easy to get here. Dont worry about finding work. The local papers have them listed as well. There is a company called 'Hays'. They act as agents for companies looking for workers in construction and mining. They contacted me today. They are looking for painter FIFO that is fly in fly out. They fly you out north to Caratha and pay you $38 per hour. You work 12 hour shifts on a 2 weeks on and 1 week off basis. If your looking for an easier time...wait till you get over here and you will get a job no bother.

BE WARNED!. Even after filling in your TRA, when you get here and you want to work for your self you will have to get the Painters Registration. It cost money again and it just copies the process for TRA. Pain in the butt but its what they want. They dont recognise any certification unless you get a letter from the queen swearing she loves you...lol..it does get a bit frustrating. You will still get a job without it. Most companies want you to be ABN, stands for Australian Business Number...just means self employed...is good though as tax benefits are much better. You can get it on line no problem. You will also need your Blue Card, which is the same as CSCS card at home but easier to get. You can also do this online at a cost.. Good to have before you get here though.

You will find that most painters here have a ...how do i say it...limited skills...alot of them are brush hands.

You should manage to get between $30 and $40 per hour with decent companies. Let them kow your abilities and that you have completed an apprenticeship in brittain. We have a good rep over here as tradesmen.

Good luck with it all.

If you want any more info just e mail me

Baldyin38@aol.com

Cheers

Archived