medical advice much needed!

Guest dawn

Hello All,

can anyone please help me with my dilemma! my partner and i have just found out our 9 year old son has type one diabetes and needs insulin injections twice a day, going to 4 times a day.

we are in the early stages of the proccess for moving to Brisbane(hopefully) but were wondering now we have found out about our son's medical condition, could this prevent us with the application to migrate.

Also over in the U.K all our son's medical care and treatment is free for life, and we could get help financially with his care from the goverment. Would any body know how this would affect us with Medicare and private medical insurance cost's, and if the Australian goverment would support us with the dialy care he will need. :?:

I know i've asked for a lot of answers, but any help is greatfully appreciated. Thanks in advance to any responses.

Dawn+Peter.

Guest michelle

hi dawn,i'm michelle myself my husband and our 2 children daughter aged 6 and son almost 4 are also in the early stages of emigrating hopefully to brisbane like yourself. our daughter suffers from juvenile arthritis and we were worried to about are application and still are we have taken on an agent who has been very honest with us from the outset,he said the australian goverment normally allow medical costs of around 1000 per year we got an average off our daughters doctor and we go over that total by a couple of hundred pounds,but he seems to think that we are in with a fairly good chance it is only the medication i think that they take into account and not the care our daughter has to have daily medication and weekly injections at the hospital.i have contacted medicare in australia and they say that there would be no problems insuring her it would only be for the first 2 years because when you gain residency you have all the rights as an australian but from what i have found out i don't think it is going to cost us that much,although if i find out any other information i will let you know,sorry if this has'nt helped you much but any other question you might have i would gladly answer.good luck

Hi Michele,

thanks for your reply. It's always reasuring to know that your not alone going through something as new as this. we are going to a migration exhibition in December so we can chat to some agents like you said.

I will contact my sons doctors and ask how much on average his medical care costs and how easy it would be to transfer his medical records etc,

then this will give me a good idea when we go in December. i will keep in touch and share any info with you.

Good luck and thanks again.

(what part of Brisbane were you looking at moving too?)

Guest michelle

hi dawn,would be great if you could keep me informed. we are hoping to head for manly west or wakerly or in those areas friends of our friends live there and it sounds great the schools the hospital and everything else is near by will give you any information on the area if you need it we have looked at everything.

• 2 weeks later...

hi Michelle,

my partner and i have decided to put Oz on hold for a year, bit gutted but you've got to do whats best i suppose. thanks for your reply and good luck. :)

Dawn

Guest michelle

sorry to hear that dawn but you have to do what is best for your family it really is hard my emotions change every single day from being really excited to being terrified ,but we have come to the conclusion that we dont want to look back and say what if! best of luck to you for what ever you do and i will keep you informed on our medical situation.michelle

• 1 month later...

All medical conditions are individually assessed; the only condition that precludes you entry from Oz is TB. Don't give up yet I have had a similar experience.

We had our visa granted in July 2004 (4 year independent skilled), finally sold our house etc by December, flights booked for Jan 05 with a job lined up etc.

Our youngest (7 months at the time) then suddenly fell severely ill, we cancelled our flights and she ended up being hospitalised for nearly 4 months. Eventually diagnosed with GSD type 1A – in simple terms a very rare blood glucose problem that is treated via a strict diet and a daily dosage of Allopurinol.

Our entry date was the 25th March 2005. I contacted immigration explaining our situation (I never used an agent) we were in limbo for around 6 weeks until we were granted a 3 month extension. We finally made to Oz on June this year.

Not sure where you stand with Diabetes but my daughter condition is not that dissimilar, and I urge you to keep asking around for other peoples experiences.

Archived