excess baggage shipping?

Guest mcihellem

Guest mcihellem

Hi, have been looking at flights and their dreadful baggage allowances. :arghh:. i took 25kg on a 2 week holiday so i'm finding it hard to comprehend fitting my whole life in a 20kg suitcase. From what i can gather, if going on a permanent visa (as opposed to my 457) I may be entitled to double allowance but as this isnt the case, i wont be. having looked at the various airlines, BA seems to be the only one who offer a standard charge of 25quid if you go over the 23kg they offer. every other airline seem to charge per kg and the charges are ridiculous. correct me if i am wrong there.

anyway, we aren't shipping things over via large containers as renting out our house etc however its obvious we cant fit everything in one case each. have other things to take which are heavy e.g. books cd's, extra clothes, shoes (of course) etc. there are a few companies that offer shipping boxes at a reasonable price for that reason. reckon we only need 2-3 boxes actually and should cost about 300 quid. does anyone have any experience of doing this and using these companies?

Thanks,

Michelle

Guest haysgood

Hi Michelle,

We used Excess Baggage (they work alongside 1st Contact) as we only shipped small personal stuff rather than furniture. We paid £500 for 6 small boxes, 12 big boxes (T cartons) and 1 bike box (for the TV!). We shipped on 23 June and it arrived 2 weeks ago. Excess baggage would only insure our TV if we paid £60 for it to be shipped in a wooden box. On top of that we paid 5% insurance and $100 for customs/quarantine, so not too bad for 19 boxes of stuff!

Excess baggage were very helpful, no problems at all. Only 1 glass was broken during the journey which I think is pretty good. Oh, and we did negotiate them down, got £50 off their originial quoted price and got an extra 5 boxes on top of that for nothing, so dont be shy!

Hayley

Guest mcihellem

Hi Halyley, thanks for that, seems very reasonable. will probably do this anyway, esp if you can fit a tv in (my oh is not happy having to part with his newest state of the art toy! - :SLEEP:)

Hi Anne, thanks. can you tell me who you flew with? will contact the airlines before we book anyway and ask about the baggage allowance

michelle

Hi there, We booked with SINGAPORE AIRLINES, IF YOU RING THEM AND ASK ABOUT MIGRATION THEN they will tell you that on producing your UNUSED VISA FOR RESIDENCY, THE LETTER YOU GET WITH YOUR VISA, they allow you 40kgs baggage allowance at the airport, this is what we are doing as we have got our packers coming on the 3rd Nov we leave on the 30th so we will pack our cases with the stuff we will iniatlly need, with 2

Archived