registering with a school

Guest tucker

hola, can anyone give me an idiots guide for registering with a school in SA. My boy will be starting the first year (5 YO) in January. We are hoping to fly mid Jan. Hoping to have a rental for 12 weeks and then look to buy. no idea where yet, but will be working at the glenside hospital.cheers for any info, no matter how basic.

Guest nareyclan
hola, can anyone give me an idiots guide for registering with a school in SA. My boy will be starting the first year (5 YO) in January. We are hoping to fly mid Jan. Hoping to have a rental for 12 weeks and then look to buy. no idea where yet, but will be working at the glenside hospital.cheers for any info, no matter how basic.

Hi tucker,

I don't know too much as I am in the same boat really, my daughter will also start in Jan all being well, (come on those visa's!!). I do know that there are different rules in different states, we have found this web site really useful tho'.

The Australian Schools Directory – The only online guide to all Australian Schools

You can find names of schools in the area that you are looking at and then google that school and look at their website.

Hope that helps a bit

Hayley

First thing to do is to get a place to live - many schools wont enrol you unless you have an address in their catchment area, especially if they are the more "desirable" schools. You will be arriving mid January so that wont be a problem - find a place that you are content to be in 24/7 then roll up to the local school as soon as you find it with your passport/visa and vaccination certificates and you should be fine. The schools will be on holiday until end Jan anyway although you will likely find some admin staff on site. Generally the schools reflect the area that they serve - so if you wouldnt fancy living in a particular area then you probably wouldnt fancy sending your child there and vice versa. A school is obliged to find a place for a child in its catchment area so there is no problem about a place being available.

If OTOH you want a place in a school which is not where you are living, then that is a matter of negotiation - schools are not obliged to take out of area kids although they are more likely to do so if you apply before the census (ours is mid Feb) because that is when their resource allocation is made based on school population.

Dont worry, you will have plenty of time to look around, talk to people and get a feel for the local school before term starts.

Archived