We've arrived...2nd thoughts?

Shazzi

Anybody who needs cheering up, are invited to BBQ at my house in Warner!

First Saturday in september, you know its going to be sunny!

Chin up, and keep smiling.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to Oz!! You hit the nail on the head with your post. We had the same experience as you 7 months ago (i.e. discovered that it was just as crap here as the UK). I know what you are going through....

The good news is it will get better. Yes.... you are shopping in the wrong places (or at the wrong times). Shops here are the same as the UK - sometimes they sell stuff cheap and you have to be there when they do. The trouble is when you first arrive you don't have the luxury of waiting till the sale starts. You need to pay the going price and yes it is a bit more expensive than back home.

There is the equivalent to B&Q - it's called Bunnings. It takes a few months but eventually you will know what shops to go to and what ones to avoid - everything will eventually become normal - keep with it.

I'm still not sure about this place but we couldn't afford to go home no matter how much we hated it (and let me tell you... we hated it enough to get on the next plane). But now we think it's ok - not great.... just ok.

The people are fantastic; the climate is a bit better (no doubt much better for you).... but it's not home and never will be.

My advice is to keep your chin up because setting up home over here is just horrible. Once that phase is out of the way you can get on with life. Try not to worry!! It will all work out.

Guest earlswood
Welcome to Oz!! You hit the nail on the head with your post. We had the same experience as you 7 months ago (i.e. discovered that it was just as crap here as the UK). I know what you are going through....

The good news is it will get better. Yes.... you are shopping in the wrong places (or at the wrong times). Shops here are the same as the UK - sometimes they sell stuff cheap and you have to be there when they do. The trouble is when you first arrive you don't have the luxury of waiting till the sale starts. You need to pay the going price and yes it is a bit more expensive than back home.

There is the equivalent to B&Q - it's called Bunnings. It takes a few months but eventually you will know what shops to go to and what ones to avoid - everything will eventually become normal - keep with it.

I'm still not sure about this place but we couldn't afford to go home no matter how much we hated it (and let me tell you... we hated it enough to get on the next plane). But now we think it's ok - not great.... just ok.

The people are fantastic; the climate is a bit better (no doubt much better for you).... but it's not home and never will be.

My advice is to keep your chin up because setting up home over here is just horrible. Once that phase is out of the way you can get on with life. Try not to worry!! It will all work out.

The climate for me after 2 years in Oz is not better than the UK to be honest:sad: I do not now where they get this medditerain climate from....and yes the cost of living is very expensive......try anothere year if you can through a summer and a winter ....no shame in going home if it is not for you...at least you have tried it.

Guest HappyBunny

We arrived on 20th August and I'm feeling much the same way. We rented in Redcliffe when we arrived and loved it. We didn't expect everything to be a bed of roses but it has been much harder so far than either of us imagined. Like you we were so excited about coming but then reality kicks in and you feel so deflated. It's just us and the kids so we've only got each other to whinge to.

The cost of living does seem high but certain things help. You definately need to shop around and it's a steep learning curve. We get our fruit and veg in Fedi's in Logan and scan the flyers in the free papers for bargains. Through that we found offers for garden furniture and BBQ's in K-Mart and got our white goods at The Good Guy's. Ikea's always a safe bet as well.

For us the big problem is my OH getting regular work. I wanted to stay at home with our youngest for a bit longer, but the way it's going I'm going to have to go back to work full time and OH look after her until she starts Kindy. Even the thought of this makes me sad as I desperately wanted to spend some quality time with her but if that is what it takes to survive here then so be it. I still think it's better here than in the UK, just need to get through the initial teething pains. Try and keep your chin up.

Guest Libby1971

We arrived in April last year and once the dust had settled I remember feeling exactly as you describe...it isn't that I dislike Oz, I don't feel much for it at all. We re-trained in order to get here and all in all it took us 11 years. I remember feeling cheated, robbed of that time.

Sometimes I feel as though it isn't that I want to go back, it is just that I wish I found it easier to stay, does that make sense?

We are about to go back for a holiday and I am absolutely stressed out of my brain!!!! What if it unsettles me? Some friends think it will make me feel more settled, I hope so!!! I am in Adelaide, and we are just coming out of the worst winter Adelaide has had for 35 years, flipping typical! I am hoping that with the sun shining I will feel better.

Take it easy, don't worry and it takes time to build up a network. Since November/ December my social circle has increased so much. In fact it is now a struggle to fit in work!!!!! My friends here have been fantastic and I am very lucky to have met them. And you'll find some too...

Hang on in there, massive hugs to you xx

Guest firewolf

hi just wanted to say my wife and i went through the same thing as you are ,its all so much at once . we have been here in Brisbane for just over a year and it does get better, things fall into place when you start work you will feel much better some things are more expensive here but you must stop comparing pounds with dollar . i know its hard and its all new we will not be going back to England we love it here now if you need a friend we are not far away so just holla good luck and try to enjoy you have done the most scariest thing you could possibly ever do

The climate for me after 2 years in Oz is not better than the UK to be honest:sad: I do not now where they get this medditerain climate from....and yes the cost of living is very expensive......try anothere year if you can through a summer and a winter ....no shame in going home if it is not for you...at least you have tried it.

Depends what part of the oz you live in Southern NSW, Victoria and Tasmania have a similar climate to England, except less rain and a bit warmer.

Guest losstevely

My friend told me that when her family moved away she felt like that too. Its just part of the process. Dont forget why you took the step. continue to treat it like the adventure you started.

Amazon.com and online appliance discount au use Google au for looking for your white goods.

Remember people will love getting to know you and your family, your different to them just as they are to you.

We are just selling our house and coming over beginning of next year. The hard part is over for you now ENJOY.

There will always be someone on here for a natter.

wish you and your family good luck in your new life.

Lorraine

x

Guest taffy 62
Hi,

Give it longer, we arrived in Brisbane and only lasted 12 weeks!!, sold up and moved back to the UK and now moving back in March, albiet not to Brisbane.

It's only natural to have those feelings, i was crying daily etc wont bore you with the details. Try not to think about the things you left behind more what you can acheive whilst out in OZ.

It's not a "one size fits all" we are all different, some settle in straight away others take years, and arseholes like us end up going backwards and forwards :)

Things are increasing in cost the world over so it's not just the UK that we are feeling the pinch.

Hi BTB

Welcome back!

So you have decided to give it another go where are you heading?

I leave Brisbane on Friday, never thought I would have lasted this long up here :biglaugh:

September seemed a lifetime away then.

It didnt take you long to decide to come back you may have a better chance of settling next time I've heard that happens.

All the best keep in touch.

Where do you live ??! The climate is no comparison over here !

Hi Shazzi,

It is such early days-hang in there : it is a HUGE shock to the system when you have been building it up in your mind in the UK for so long-we should know, we are ping-pong poms but we love Australia now ! It is not all great-but where is ? Give it time - shout if you want a chat.

To everyone who has posted a message..thank you so much, its good to know I'm not the only one who has felt like this!

I am going to stick it out for a year as before we arived my OH and I made a pact that no matter what, we would give it a full year and review it after that. As much as my OH does not feel like I do, I know that after all it took to get here I owe it that.

I'm sure as some of you have suggested, I am missing the familiarity of my old life and will be better when I start work and make friends .

As for the cost of things I still think overall it is more expensive here but I have been looking on the net and shopping around this weekend and found some shops are the same price as back in the UK...superamart sells the same outside furniture as we had back home, for the same price! I think that in the UK, the fact that all the shops are mainly clustered in one central location ie. usually your local town and you always know what/where are the cheap and more expensive shops , it makes it easier when you are buying new stuff but here shops can be spread around in different locations and you don't have that local knowledge so you just have to shop around and learn by trial and error I suppose...however thanks for all the tips that everyone has given me - all very useful!

I'm sure I'll have good times and bad times as you all seem to have had so hopefully things can only get better from here on.

Thanks again everyone, I'll keep you posted as to how we get on x

Guest itskaren
So we've arrived, been in Brisbane for about a month and already I'm not sure if I have made the right move. After all the many months of planning and set backs and tearful goodbyes to friends and family I thought I would feel a sense of relief/excitement/happiness to be finally here, instead I feel...numb, an anti-climax almost and now I am worrying and questioning why I feel like this.

When I have read other people's posts on here once they have arrived, they seem to be totally happy so why aren't I? I'm not normally a moaner or a misery guts but I am struggling to feel happy about what we have done just now.

Has anyone else felt like this when they initially arrived...does it get better? I know we are still in the settling in process...I haven't started work yet - I start in 3 weeks, we move to a nice house in the Ferny Grove side of the city in 2 weeks time and I still need to find childcare for our son. Currently I can only get 2 days PW and I need 4, but it is so difficult to find any availability and until I can get him in 4 days PW, my OH cannot look for work, as we don't have any family or friends over here to help out.

At the moment I feel lonely, it is just the 3 of us every day - I miss the routine of my old life, my job, my family and friends that I could see or talk to regularly...we have Skype and that helps, but its not like I can pop over to my mums at the w/end or meet a pal for a coffee.

The other thing that I am finding difficult is the cost of living over here - we haven't brought huge amounts of money with us, certainly not enough for a deposit on a house (I've been told you need at least 20% of the asking price!). When we came over in November for a month it did not seem as expensive as it is now. Food shopping is definitely dearer here than back in the UK, mainly I think because over there you have Tesco/Asda/Sainsbury/Morrisons etc etc all competing for your custom so they constantly have a multitude of offers on and also they sell cheap, relatively good clothes ...before I left I bought whole outfits for my son in the Tesco sale, all for under £5/6 each. Here the main ones are just Coles and Woolworths who seem to monopolise it all.

Its not just the food shopping - I stupidly left all my garden furniture and BBQ at home as I thought it wouldn't get through customs. I assumed in the land of outdoor living that I could pick things up cheap enough out here and there would be an equivalent B & Q or Homebase, but that's not the case, as this sort of stuff is also more expensive, which I just can't believe.

Banking is a rip off, everywhere charges for an account and if you use an ATM that is not their's then you get charged extra, at least in the UK if you opt to pay for an acct you get loads of freebies like free yearly travel insurance, bank and credit card protection and mobile phone insurance and obviously you can use any ATM via the "link" system for free. Talking of mobile phones the tarriffs are roughly the same but what with the connection fee for each call, on top of the call rate, they are not as good value by a long way...

I know I shouldn't keep comparing things to the UK if I want this to work but it's hard as that is all I have known. The main reason for moving here was so that we could have a better quality of life than in the UK, but with the prices the way they are over here, I think financially, I may in fact be worse off. Sure the people are friendly and the weather and scenery is great and there are loads of great parks for my son to enjoy and plenty of open spaces for kids to run wild but I'm not going to enjoy them if I am constantly watching the pennies and rising bills. I know things are currently getting more expensive in the UK but I was never in a situation where by I worried about going out to buy some clothes or do my monthly massive food shop and I'll be earning roughly the same sort of salary here as I was there.

Ahhhhhh! I feel like a whinging pom already and I know I am being probably a bit over panicky but can someone please tell me that things do get better. Am I shopping in the wrong shops??? I need to buy a whole kitchen's worth of white goods at the end of this month and I am dreading the cost of all that as I need everything from a kettle/toaster to microwave and washer & dryer etc. Any advice on where to get these at a reasonable price?? If only there was an Argos over here!

Maybe some of you will tell me that the high cost of living here is a fact, and then I will need to re-evaulate whether long term this is for us, as at the moment, overall the UK is definitely a cheaper place to live. My OH is so positive and although I really want to be, I can't see the point of lying to myself either, almost like I am glossing things over for effect.

I knew the move would be hard and it would take time to adjust and I don't think I over glamerised living here in my head, but its just not what I expected and I disappointly don't feel as I expected too...I just feel sort of lost.

Sorry for the length of this post but I just need to "talk" to someone as I don't want to tell people at home that I already have doubts when I was so loooking forward to moving out here for the last year and over here, besides the OH, I don't know anyone else!

Hi there

I know EXACTLY what you are going through I have been there and in fact still am there. I am in Melbourne and have been here since Dec 07. I thought initially it was just the settling in peroid but I still fee the same and I know now what an awful mistake we have made! There was a thread called 'the cost of living' and I basically got slated from quite a few people in the 'yes camp'. We are definitely worse off here than in the UK and the 'grass is not always greener'. I think things have gone up so much during the past couple of years.

I just don't know what to suggest to you. I don't want to move my sons out of school again so it looks as though we are stuck here. We cannot afford to buy a house. We could not sell ours in the UK so it is rented out. My husband and I are working full time and are like 'passing ships in the night'.

I am hoping things will get better. I am really trying hard to make a go and I know that we need to give it a few years at least.

I really hope it works out for you. However, if I could turn back the clocks I would never have come to Oz. I just assumed it was a lot cheaper it is certainly not. In my opinion the UK is cheaper.

Good luck.

Guest aaron kent

Hi shaazzi,

My girlfriend and i moved to perth wa 14 months ago,i understand how you feel completely.Its a massive change of life style.I do think things get easier with time.My OH has found it very hard because of no family or friends over here. I also believe the oz dream is alittle over sold,i mean perth is very nice and has a great climate and top beaches but the cost of living is much higher over here.I think its only natural to make comparisons of the country you have just left.

My OH and i are off back to the U.K for xmas and she is staying for afew months and i will be returning on my own,so ive decided to give it 6 more months and then i will decide whats next.

I hope things improve for you.a.t.b

Guest taffy 62

We came out 19 years ago so it was different for us.

My folks came out 5 years ago and said it was alot cheaper here than the Uk.

It has gone up here the last couple of years.

We went back for a holiday last year and people old friends seemed to be doing alright for themselves.

But I personally thought it all depended how you lived there.

Here I feel you eat better types of food Ie huge steaks and seafood, and theres a better style of dining when you go out for a meal

But over there there were a lot of places offering 2 for 1 deals, which were good value I thought, which Oz used to have years ago.

my mum said she couldnt afford the meat over there like she does out here on their pension.

So I suppose it all depends on your income to how you live as in everwhere really.

I must admit it is expensive to live in the cities thats why I recomend country areas but I do realise country areas dont offer the wages so its all reletive I suppose.

Sometimes though you can get a really good job in the country and are better off as the house prices are so much cheaper.

When we came we said we would give it 2 years, I didnt like south austrialia so moved to victoria, which worked out so much better for us.

Its such a huge country it feels like theres 7 little ones inside one big one at times as each state is so different.

Guest tony sutcliffe

Hey there,

....i'm sure you've been a fly on our wall!!!! Its reassuring to know that so many other people find it hard to settle when you first arrive here. Been here 5 months in Brissy, & HATE IT!..really wished we'd researched our areas more in relation to work, as the bubble has well n truly 'burst' over here....we are looking at moving over to the north of the city but its so much more expensive to rent than where we currently are (Ipswich). Keep trying to be positive, but when you've left everything & everyone behind, its difficult to get in that frame of mind. Our kids absolutely love it here, & my OH thinks i'm giving in too easily (god knows how many times i've been on Singapore airlines looking for a one way outta here!!!)....giving it another try in a different area, & if it doesnt improve, well Blighty here i come!

'The grass isnt always greener - it just tastes different'..... :unsure:

Guest taffy 62

Please read bolton to brisbane thread.

We both moved to brisbane about the same time they went back after 8 weeks.

Its sounds like they are comming back now to oz. but will not come back to brisbane.

I havnt talked to them to see where their heading hopefully victoria!!!!!!!!

We were both the same depressed and crying, so your not alone by a long chance.

Not all oz is the same.

Chin up.:smile:

Guest taffy 62
Seems to be a lot of people moving out of Brisbane ??

Thats what I reckon check out my thread is it me.

Im glad im not the only one who couldnt settle in brisbane.

Thats what I reckon check out my thread is it me.

Im glad im not the only one who couldnt settle in brisbane.

Queenslanders are a "unique" bunch that's for sure !!

Guest earlswood
Hi there

I know EXACTLY what you are going through I have been there and in fact still am there. I am in Melbourne and have been here since Dec 07. I thought initially it was just the settling in peroid but I still fee the same and I know now what an awful mistake we have made! There was a thread called 'the cost of living' and I basically got slated from quite a few people in the 'yes camp'. We are definitely worse off here than in the UK and the 'grass is not always greener'. I think things have gone up so much during the past couple of years.

I just don't know what to suggest to you. I don't want to move my sons out of school again so it looks as though we are stuck here. We cannot afford to buy a house. We could not sell ours in the UK so it is rented out. My husband and I are working full time and are like 'passing ships in the night'.

I am hoping things will get better. I am really trying hard to make a go and I know that we need to give it a few years at least.

I really hope it works out for you. However, if I could turn back the clocks I would never have come to Oz. I just assumed it was a lot cheaper it is certainly not. In my opinion the UK is cheaper.

Good luck.

That is why if possible a reccie is so important.

Hi Shazzi,

Firstly where bout in Brisbane are you ?

We move out to the Buderim area on 28th October, into a holiday let for 4 weeks, find schools, long-term rental etc. etc. etc.

I have read your email and can fully understand how you are feeling, we booked our flights over 2 weeks ago and I have been a bit of a mess since, leaving my lovely friends and my house which I love, us girlies are more emotional than the guys and sometimes they don't understand. Iknow we have made the right decision as we have been on this trail for over 4 years, we've had our visa's 3!! A lot happened a few years back with lots of bereavements etc. and it got shelved, but stu has now got volentary redundo and we feel we must try it before its too late, we are renting our house here just in case. We have 3 kids under 10 and lifestyle for them will be wonderful. But like you I am concerned about the price of everything!

I just feel like i've hit an Oz brick wall!!! Although I am sure it will come right, we have some very supportive people the other end.

I have bought the kids loads of clothes and I will get more before we go, I have bought new quilts and bedding for the children and for us, I have already been tipped off about the prices out there!! Good old M&S, Monsoon, H&M - I will miss them!!

Anyway I hope you are feeling better soon, if your anywhere near where we are going we could meet up??

Take care - Salxx

Hi Shazzi,

I am so sorry to here that you are feeling so down at the moment. I have been here for just three weeks and I feel the complete opposite. Here on the Gold Coast I have found things much cheaper than in the UK, especially furnature! We have seen a place that sells sets of furnature for $1990.00 this includes Table, chairs, cabinits, beds the whole lot.

My daughter asked about getting her nails done it is half the price than in the Uk. Eating out is much much cheaper, we have been food shoppping at Aldi and have found them really cheap.

Hairdressing is very expensive though, so I think I'll grow mine...lol

Please feel free to send me a PM if you want some more information! And if you want to meet up for a coffee one day just give me a shout.

I hope this has helped you out a bit, keep your chin up

April xx

Perhaps you need a trip down here for a shopping Spree!

Hi Shazzi,

Don't know if this is any help or not, but my family will be moving to Brisbane hopefully in the next couple of months. My little girl is 4 and my husband and I are in our 30's. We do have a small family network we are moving too but I have never met them and my husband has only been in touch for a short time so we will be in a similar boat to you with not knowing anyone.

If you like I can let you know when we are arriving and at least you will have someone nearby(ish) going through the same stuff!

The reason I joined this forum was to find a support network and it has been really helpful and if I can offer any support to anyone else that is fine be me.

All the best

Kelly, Scott & Jessica

Guest earlswood
Hi Shazzi,

I am so sorry to here that you are feeling so down at the moment. I have been here for just three weeks and I feel the complete opposite. Here on the Gold Coast I have found things much cheaper than in the UK, especially furnature! We have seen a place that sells sets of furnature for $1990.00 this includes Table, chairs, cabinits, beds the whole lot.

My daughter asked about getting her nails done it is half the price than in the Uk. Eating out is much much cheaper, we have been food shoppping at Aldi and have found them really cheap.

Hairdressing is very expensive though, so I think I'll grow mine...lol

Please feel free to send me a PM if you want some more information! And if you want to meet up for a coffee one day just give me a shout.

I hope this has helped you out a bit, keep your chin up

April xx

Perhaps you need a trip down here for a shopping Spree!

Jesus....are they ripping us off in Perth then:dull: because everthing is very expensive here.

Archived