Medicals

jvm

Don't think anyone else has mentioned this but when we had our medicals on Thursday the doctor told us that our 2 children would need to be protected from Hepatitis B. Apparently it is compulsory for all children in Australia to be protected. Anyway our 2 kids (ages 1 and 2) get the first of their 3 injections tomorrow. It might be worth checking this out when you get your medicals (or when you visit your own doctor) as we were told that if we waited until we get to Australia we may be charged by the doctor that we register with.

Valerie:spinny:

Guest erinfay
Don't think anyone else has mentioned this but when we had our medicals on Thursday the doctor told us that our 2 children would need to be protected from Hepatitis B. Apparently it is compulsory for all children in Australia to be protected. Anyway our 2 kids (ages 1 and 2) get the first of their 3 injections tomorrow. It might be worth checking this out when you get your medicals (or when you visit your own doctor) as we were told that if we waited until we get to Australia we may be charged by the doctor that we register with.

Valerie:spinny:

Hi there

We had our meds last week with 3 kids in tow nothing was mentioned about it Iwonder if I should be concerned, I've not seen anything anywhere about kids and hep b only about tatoos and risky previous partners

I will have to keep an eye on this to see what others have done

thanks for the heads up though

No we havent been told abt this from our doctor either. Although my son had to have the blood test as he had a blood transfusion when he was born, so they tested him for the Hep B

Guest cantwait

Hep wasn't mentioned to us regarding our kids - they only asked if we had piercings or tattoos. It would seem that different doctors ask for different things. I was asked for a copy of my last smear test, but I know other people haven't been asked.

Karen

I have tried looking on some of the countries websites for injections for certain countries, it doesnt show Australia for Heb B. Hope your docs not getting confused abt the fact that you should be tested for this if 16 or over or if you have tatoos or if you have had blood transfusion!

Guest The Pom Queen

It was 4 years ago when we had our medicals but no we werent asked about it for our kids and haven't been at the schools either.

First I have heard of it, people who are in risk occupations are given it at work but not at school. You can have it but you have to pay for it. My oh had it at work.

Hep C is more of a problem I would have thought but there is immunisation for that.

My children just had the usual things and my daughter had the rubella injection before she went to high school.

It wasnt mentioned to us when were still in the Uk but it was soon picked up on here and i recieved a letter within 6 weeks of our arrival asking me to take my daughter for the Hep B injections otherwise she wouldnt be accepted at school and centrelink would stop any child care assistance we recieved. Hope this helps ,i wish id known as i would have had them done in the Uk whilst she was that bit younger.

Cal x

Guest erinfay
It wasnt mentioned to us when were still in the Uk but it was soon picked up on here and i recieved a letter within 6 weeks of our arrival asking me to take my daughter for the Hep B injections otherwise she wouldnt be accepted at school and centrelink would stop any child care assistance we recieved. Hope this helps ,i wish id known as i would have had them done in the Uk whilst she was that bit younger.

Cal x

Hi

was the hep b expensive to have in australia? did the letter you received ask if you had already vacinated first or just say you needed to get it done, what if I get kids done here and then be told I have to do it again in Australia.

all these little things keep popping up it all sooo confusing lol

also when we had our meds done no-one asked if the kids general imms were upto date (which they are)

thanks

Erinfay

I had her red book converted to the Oz form (which is what you have to do when you arrive ,any GP will do it ),so they obviously picked up on it via that. If they have had it done in the UK it will say in their books so your child would be classed as 'up to date'. It dosnt cost you anything and is given in 3 seperate injections a few weeks apart. You do need to bring their red books with you ,not in your shipment as youll probably need it before the container arrives.

School also asked to see my sons book when i signed him up to start .

hope this helps a bit ,its all mind boggling isnt it? lol, i remember it well

Cal x

Guest erinfay
I had her red book converted to the Oz form (which is what you have to do when you arrive ,any GP will do it ),so they obviously picked up on it via that. If they have had it done in the UK it will say in their books so your child would be classed as 'up to date'. It dosnt cost you anything and is given in 3 seperate injections a few weeks apart. You do need to bring their red books with you ,not in your shipment as youll probably need it before the container arrives.

School also asked to see my sons book when i signed him up to start .

hope this helps a bit ,its all mind boggling isnt it? lol, i remember it well

Cal x

Thank you Cal

Things are much clearer now

Cheers

Erinfay

Thanks Cal for letting us know what happened to you.

My kids got the first of there injections today, 2nd next month and the 3rd will be in March. We were hoping to move out to Oz in February and if all goes well with house etc we will just get the 3rd injection over there.

It seems strange that some docs mention it and others don't.

Hope I have helped someone else in the same situation as me, lol!!!

I don't know what to expect next????

Val

Hi

I thought i'd get ahead of the game and book my kids (3 of them) in my doctors for the Hep b, the receptionist said they were free so dragged them kicking and screaming this afternoon :arghh: lol

only to be told there is a charge, fine I said how much? to which the nurse replied £30 not too bad I thought then she went on to each and you need 3 lots oh I said.

:cry: £270, she went on to tell me that was cheap OMG

As it's not a vacination for uk you have to pay so looks like I'll be leaving it till asked for it in australia and hopefully it will still be free like Cal has said.

Erinfay

Hi

I can't beleive you are getting charged at your own docs. I thought I would need to pay something at the chemist but was told as they are children it wouldn't cost me. I then asked the practice nurse at our surgery but she said they're wouldn't be any charge either. I think I would need to take this up with your surgery. If anything I thought I would at least need to pay for the Hep B at the chemist.

Also i'm hoping to be over in Melbourne in February so they will not have had the 3rd lot of injections, so I am hoping to get them done over there.

Val

I think I might

I need to see my doctor for something unrelated and ask her while I'm there.

you mentioned the chemist, can you just go in there then? thanks jvm:wubclub:

Erinfay

Guest littlesarah

Hello all

Given the way that Hep B is contracted (i.e. via blood & body fluid), I am puzzled as to why children should need to immunised against it. What do Australian kids get up to that puts them at risk?! :wacko:

That's why the NHS charges for non-essential vaccination against this disease. Only people at risk of exposure (principally health care workers) are given free innoculation in the UK.

How bizarre....

Sarah

Erinfay

I phoned my doctors and explained to the receptionist why my children needed it and she called me back to say the doctor had written a prescription and was ready and I just took it along to boots and they gave me the stuff to bring home and keep in the fridge until the kids were going to the docs.

Valerie

Sarah

I don't know why kids get the injection, it was explained that my kids needed to get it from the doctor at our medicals, so I have just went along with what she has said.

I also put a link on previous as I found an immunisation program for young kids in Australia.

Sorry I can't be more help to you.

Valerie

Archived