Confused!!!

Guest TheClarkes

Guest TheClarkes

Hi All,

I have four children that will be going to Secondary college when we arrive in January, The 11 year old will obviously start year 7, The 14 year old will re do year 9, The 15 year old will start year 11 and The eldest who will turn 17 in Dec who has done his GCSEs here will be able to start year 12?? Is this correct? As the GCSES arent recognised there (VICTORIA) would he be at a dis-advantage having missed year 11.

If anyone could give me any advice on this and possibly which government schools are good in Berwick, I would really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks for your time

Clare x

Guest *KAY TEE*
Hi All,

I have four children that will be going to Secondary college when we arrive in January, The 11 year old will obviously start year 7, The 14 year old will re do year 9, The 15 year old will start year 11 and The eldest who will turn 17 in Dec who has done his GCSEs here will be able to start year 12?? Is this correct? As the GCSES arent recognised there (VICTORIA) would he be at a dis-advantage having missed year 11.

If anyone could give me any advice on this and possibly which government schools are good in Berwick, I would really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks for your time

Clare x

Hiya Clare,

I started a thread in (I think) general dilemas asking the ? GCSE or VCE. Rather than typing out what people have said take a look, there is somthing mentioned there about years 11 and 12.

Hope this helps, it did me xx :yes:

hi there, My lad is 12 and just moved into year 8 here(uk) but when he arrives in Australia he will go back to year 7, the same for my 6 year old, she has just gone back to year 1 here (uk) but when she starts school in Australia she will be reception again, this is because in Australia THEY DONT START SCHOOL TILL THEY ARE 6 YEARS OLD WHERE HERE IT IS 5 HOPE THIS HELPS YOU.I have just had a web link sent me from Australia via a work friend, shools finish for there summer on 19th Dec 08 and go back 29th Jan09 ( so will be summer hols over christmas there) hope this helps you

Actually, children do start full time education at age 5 or about to be 5. The age at which they MUST be at school is 6 but all states now start at 5 - see Education in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a good summary.

It is not productive to talk about repeating or going back - basically the kids are coming into a totally different system and they will be placed with their chronological peers and progress through with them.

Having a 17 year old move to Australia can be a bit tricky. The VCE course is a 2 year course (yrs 11 and 12) and culminates in an assessment which will yield a university entrance score and a year 12 certificate. If they dont have enough points from that course then they wont get their year 12 cert. So, unappealing as it may sound, the 17 year old should look to do the final complete 2 years. Now, he probably wouldnt want to go back into a school environment where he would be a good year older than the cohort but he could look at doing it at TAFE.

Archived