Bunbury

Guest susanmary38

Guest susanmary38

Hi Sarah n Adey

we originally looked at Dallyelup, due to all houses up for sale looking very modern and affordable, we will still look at the area when we get there, won't dismiss anywere until we have viewed it.

Seams to be people don't like it due to the place being modern and lacking character.

We've recently looked at Eaton, College grove, & South Bunbury. Any more ideas?

Sue n Dave

P.S we got our case officer yesterday yipee, really brickin it now, LOL

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sarah and Matt

Hi Sue. I would have a serious think about what you want from an area before settling on one. Dalyellup is self contained and if you are at home with kids its perfect. It has shops, parks, bush, beach, library, schools, you name it, its probably there or going to be built. But most of all its not established so you can make friends really easily which is really important. Lots of new people all wanting to make friends.

College Grove is predominantly an Australian area with no amenities. There's a Bush Walk but that's really about it. There's not even a post box - although the bus service is good enough. The upside is that its really quiet and has a lower crime rate than Dalyellup.

Eaton is 10 mins out of town (as Jan has said) and again has everything you need. Have a good think about how much travelling you want to do. If you have kids that do sports consider how much time you want to be ferrying them around.

Happy hunting!

Guest stevenjue

Hi we have been living in Australind for 11 months after buying a house here,before that we lived in Eaton in rented property. Both areas are good and not to far away from the city centre, but you would need a car. There are shopping centres in both locations for food fast food and bottle shops.

We love it and i hope this as given you some idea.

Guest teen 18

hi guys, we had our meds done last week and are hoping to be in collie which is not far from bunbury by christmas. Collie is a quiet area great for bringing up kids as i have 17 and 15 year old boys.

Hi there, may I ask why Bunbury? We (wife and 2 boyz) live in college grove Been here 10 months almost and are very happy here.(just had pool fitted ready for summer) it has a real nice slow moving pace which is great after living in that rat race UK.. My wife works in real estate and could be a good contact for your rental and help with location, infact the company she works for is owned by poms and helps poms alike. Let us know. Keith

Hi Keith

Arriving in Bunbury on the 5th of November, I was wondering which real estate agent does your wife work for? As i think we will need some help as soon as possible for rented accomadation as we are bring my very gentle German Shepherd dog and as you may be aware quarintine is only for 30 days so need hopefully 4 bed house asap.

I start work at St John hospital on the 17th November so would like some where close if possible.

Do you think your wife can help us? Hope you can either help us or give us some information.

Thanks Sandie

Hi Keith

Arriving in Bunbury on the 5th of November, I was wondering which real estate agent does your wife work for? As i think we will need some help as soon as possible for rented accomadation as we are bring my very gentle German Shepherd dog and as you may be aware quarintine is only for 30 days so need hopefully 4 bed house asap.

I start work at St John hospital on the 17th November so would like some where close if possible.

Do you think your wife can help us? Hope you can either help us or give us some information.

Thanks Sandie

Sandie just incase Keith doesnt' get back to you Ray White Real Estate (we were in contact with Jade Kelly) were really helpful to us before we came over and emailed us lots of rentals before we arrived. Get some good advice on areas and if you haven't got transport then College Grove is most probably your best bet if you are working at the hospital as you'd be able to cycle/walk from there easier than the rest of town and a fairly new estate compared to some of Bunbury. The bus service is not the same here as you'd find in the UK and doesn't run late into the evening or as regular as you are most probably used to (depending where you would live here).

Good luck for the move over and hope its everything you've dreamed off. At least you are coming at the right time of the year as its warming up lovely now, winter here can be quite cold (we weren't expecting that) and very wet as when it rains it blinking pours down never seen rain like it. So bring jackets (don't need winter coats well not UK thickness mine stayed firmly in the cupboard but its cold at night in the winter down to 1 to 2 degrees and no double glazing or heating in the houses unless you've got reverse cycle).

Sarah

Sandie just incase Keith doesnt' get back to you Ray White Real Estate (we were in contact with Jade Kelly) were really helpful to us before we came over and emailed us lots of rentals before we arrived. Get some good advice on areas and if you haven't got transport then College Grove is most probably your best bet if you are working at the hospital as you'd be able to cycle/walk from there easier than the rest of town and a fairly new estate compared to some of Bunbury. The bus service is not the same here as you'd find in the UK and doesn't run late into the evening or as regular as you are most probably used to (depending where you would live here).

Good luck for the move over and hope its everything you've dreamed off. At least you are coming at the right time of the year as its warming up lovely now, winter here can be quite cold (we weren't expecting that) and very wet as when it rains it blinking pours down never seen rain like it. So bring jackets (don't need winter coats well not UK thickness mine stayed firmly in the cupboard but its cold at night in the winter down to 1 to 2 degrees and no double glazing or heating in the houses unless you've got reverse cycle).

Sarah

Hi Sarah

Thanks for the reply, i think it will be everything we are wanting,really looking forward to moving and getting started with new job etc. Hope we can get a house that we want with our dog, not long to we find out, counting the days. I am used to the rain living in south west scotland but glad to get a bit of sun in bunbury! Is there any shops out there that are resonable for beds and some small household items till our furniture gets over?

Sandie

beds are expensive, well rather mattresses are expensive we were quite surprised, there are good camping shops so maybe a blow up mattress will do until your furniture arrives. Not sure if you can hire furniture but I wouldn't be surprised if you could. YOu may find that work colleagues will help out I know my OH's works help out newbies with furniture until their stuff arrives.

There are plenty of shops here for household stuff and can get some good bargains. KMart, Target, Big W are pretty reasonable.

You can rent with a dog you just have to pay an extra bond and have to pay for de-fleaing and carpet cleaning when you leave (we are leaving our rental this weekend and just organised for that to happen).

Dogs here tend to be outside dogs so you may have to check with your landlord that they are happy for the dog to sleep inside ours was as long as we kept her in a room without carpets. She actually stays outside all day now (wouldnt' do this in the UK) and she loves it so hoping she'll stay outside in the summer nights as it gets pretty hot at night by December.

Its great living here and so chilled out reckon you've made the right decision. Once you have settled you will see what we mean as it feels like a long holiday for the first few months.

Sarah

• 1 month later...
Guest Lolylew

hi everyone,

just thought i'd introduce myself - i'm new to this forum.

my names lisa and am moving to bunbury in january 09 with my family, OH and two kids.

our visa was granted in january this year, and as we havent sold our house we had to go and validate our visas in october this year before they expired .

while we were over there, my OH had a job interview in collie and got offered the job.

the company are putting us up in their own accommodation temporarily while we look for a rental so luckily we don't have to panic to find somewhere to say.

i'm looking at dalyellup so i'm putting the kids in ocean forest school - they are opening a new state school there but unfortunately it wont be open to my daughters year as they're phasing in the years. cant send one to private and one to public!!

it would be great to meet up with some of you over there, do you have any meetups ever? :idea: if not perhaps we should organise one?!

lisa

:hug:

Guest keith lancaster

Sorry for not getting in touch sooner,(PC problems) I hope your enjoying bunbury! I'm sure your sorted now but if you need any help sam works at Wallestons on spencer street and she will see you are looked after. Enjoy, Keith

Guest Lolylew
Hi lolylew' date=' how old are your children? Just wondering why the school year is not open too your daughters . Unless they are enrolling above year 8.[/quote']

hi,

my daughters 13 tomorrow in fact, (not looking forward to her waking up as a 'kevin', lol!!!!) and my sons 10.

i have been in contact with both schools, and they say she'll be in year 9 - this confused me as shes only just started year 8 here :huh:.

i think she'll be one of the younger ones in the year, where as in the uk shes one of the oldest.

dalyellup college, the new school are only taking up to year 8 this year, and in 2010 year 8 will become the first year 9, and so on.

hope i explained that ok?

lisa :hug:

yeah I thought she might be older. The school has only just been finished, we get to go view it and have a tour this next week. Our oldest is nearly 10 .He used to be one of the older ones but now he is one of the youngest , his birthday is in March. When's your sons? they work out the years here from the 4th July so our youngest has missed out a year by 4 days. We alsio have a 20 year old daughter back in the UK. So I hope your daughter enjoys her birthday and you enjoy the teenage years. lol.

If you ever want to catch up when you arrive feel free to pm us as we live in Dalyellup, but hopefully we will be moving into our own house somtime around Christmas.

Its a lovely place here and we've made lots of good friends, one of them being Adey.

Guest Lolylew
yeah I thought she might be older. The school has only just been finished' date=' we get to go view it and have a tour this next week. Our oldest is nearly 10 .He used to be one of the older ones but now he is one of the youngest , his birthday is in March. When's your sons? they work out the years here from the 4th July so our youngest has missed out a year by 4 days. We alsio have a 20 year old daughter back in the UK. So I hope your daughter enjoys her birthday and you enjoy the teenage years. lol.

If you ever want to catch up when you arrive feel free to pm us as we live in Dalyellup, but hopefully we will be moving into our own house somtime around Christmas.

Its a lovely place here and we've made lots of good friends, one of them being Adey.[/quote']

you'll have to let me know what you think of the new school!!!!!

my son was 10 in august - we were the other way round in the uk, he just missed out in the year below by 6 days - so if the cut off date is 4th july, that makes him almost the oldest? - i've been told he'll be going in to year 4 - which he's currently in in the uk?

it would be great to meet up thanks, is your new house in dalyellup aswell?

Yep our new house is in Dalyellup. So when you arrive your son would be starting in year 5, which would be in the new building, as some of the younger ones are going over too to fill it up. The Lutheran school is just next door to it and I have heard good reports about it, some of that school is still being constructed too.

I'd check again with the schools for years as our son isn't 10 till March and in Feb he will be going into year 5. I'd check for your daughter too.It normally runs a few months behind the UK. I'm sat her trying to work it out . Our son before we left in September last year had just started year 4 and when we arrived he went into year 3 for those last few months till Feb.

Keep in touch and when you arrive we'll get together.

hi all Bunbarians and wannabees!!!

we hope to arrive there between Sep09-Jan10.... we have put our hearts on Bunbury, been reading up all about it, it just HAVE to work out!

I have 3 children and they will start Reception, year 2 and year 7 there in Feb2010....... Hubby is not sure about work yet, but he's willing to do FiFO or even work away in the week for the first few months until we find something nearer to Bunbury.

We don't like cities, so hopefully this will work out. We're thinking of Dalyup too.. and want to put the kids in a prim school there (thank goodness they will be in one school for the first year!)

anyways just wanted to say hello and 'meet' some people going to Bunbariaaaa!

Guest The Hoys hoping.........

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading this post!

We are looking to move to Bunbury July/ August 09, when my oldest has finished primary school here, haven't decided exactly where yet, but I suspect I shall be asking you guys for lots of advice neaerer the time!

It encouraging to hear so many other families with children are migrating, can't wait to get over there and join you all!

Donna :-)

hi Donna, our children will very possibly be in the same year.... mine is finishing prim school this year too! (birthday end Feb)...so we may do schoolruns together!! :-)

Guest keith lancaster

Speak to my wife, Samantha she works for real estate company in Bunbury and by chance they helped us out when we first arrived 11 months ago and were very helpful. (As they are xpats themselves) slancaster@wollastonrealty.com.au What she will tell you is where's best not to live. Even if you just need local information she will be happy to talk to you , or even if you just need to to chat(about anything). Good luck.Keith

Guest Lolylew
hi all Bunbarians and wannabees!!!

we hope to arrive there between Sep09-Jan10.... we have put our hearts on Bunbury, been reading up all about it, it just HAVE to work out!

I have 3 children and they will start Reception, year 2 and year 7 there in Feb2010....... Hubby is not sure about work yet, but he's willing to do FiFO or even work away in the week for the first few months until we find something nearer to Bunbury.

We don't like cities, so hopefully this will work out. We're thinking of Dalyup too.. and want to put the kids in a prim school there (thank goodness they will be in one school for the first year!)

anyways just wanted to say hello and 'meet' some people going to Bunbariaaaa!

hi bianca,

welcome to the thread.

what does your husband do - there is a mining company close by in collie 'worsley alumina' thats where my OH has a job - its close enough to not be fly in fly out :spinny:

• 1 month later...
Guest Mark & Lorrie

High Sarah and Matt. You mention that College Grove crime rate was not as high as Dalyellups!! How bad is it in Dalyellup then? What sort of stuff is going on then! We were considering there to move!

Cheers,

Mark & Lorrie.

Guest theblueboy1969

Does Dalyellup have a high crime rate? Does anyone work at Centrelink in Bunbury and if so what is it like to work there? Like the look of the local soccer team and the beach looks so nice.

the crime rate is lower than where we come from in the UK not sure of the exact figure and don't know anyone who has experienced crime and know a lot of people who live there. There isn't any graffiti or trouble on the estate as far as I'm aware and been here 16 months now.

Beach is gorgeous and max of 20 people on there at anytime and its goes for miles.....so you can find an empty spot easily.

Centrelink is supposed to be a nice place to work know someone who works there part time and she loves it.

Archived