Any Brickies in Brisbane can offer advice?

Guest leeanne0312

Guest leeanne0312

Hi all. No-one answered my last post so I thought I'd try again!! Looking into Brisbane area to relocate and wondered what the average earnings for a bricklayer are? Also could he cope in the heat as I've heard its really humid and sticky?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated as were confused!

Leeann and Mark.:cute:

Guest bros goin 2 oz

hi there am daz me and will my bro going to oz on 14 oct 2 cleveland its there brisbane. we are both bricklayers and hopefully got some worked sorted 4 wen we get there as we are stoppin with a friend over there so if we do get jobs over ther i will let u know what the crack is

Guest spitfire

Hi there was a brickie on here a fews weeks back saying he earned $1,400 a week less tax which was about $170. I think he was around the Bayside area. Hope this helps you. We are heading out there Jan'09 OH a brickie. x

Guest leeanne0312

MMM think I could handle that! Much more than hubbie earns here! Good luck when you get there and keep us posted!

Thanks xx

Guest bowbrum03

I would be very carefull if you think there is lots of bricklaying jobs in Aus. Construction jobs are becoming few and far between. I know lots of very good Aussie and British bricklayers, who are finding it hard to find work, and when they do find work the prices are bad.

Guest leeanne0312

We'll take the chance seeing as there are no jobs here either what with the polish "builders" on the sites taking over! Think it's same everywhere at the mo what with the credit crisis. I'd rather have the lifestyle in Oz though compared to here. Just have to keep our fingers crossed!

Guest brendzo

$170 is **** if your a good bricklayer thats about 70 odd quid im heading out myself in oct. does any body know if you can go on the price as all you hear on this is time work????

Guest Brickie
Construction jobs are becoming few and far between. I know lots of very good Aussie and British bricklayers, who are finding it hard to find work, and when they do find work the prices are bad.

What a load of bollocks.....where on earth did you hear that?

Guest leeanne0312

God now I'm really confused. Want to move to the best place buts its so hard having never been before and we can't afford a reccie. Got time to decide I suppose!

Take it the works good in Melbourne Brickie?

x

Guest Brickie
God now I'm really confused. Want to move to the best place buts its so hard having never been before and we can't afford a reccie. Got time to decide I suppose!

Take it the works good in Melbourne Brickie?

x

I am constantly knocking back work from builders who just stop and ask while they are just driving by.

All my mates are flat out too and most have just put their rates up.

I get $800 per thou, there was an advert in last weeks Melbourne Age newspaper offering brickies $1250 per thou but it was over the other side of town from me.

Going from Sterling to Queensland would kill you in summer, its just not the heat its the humidity, Ive been here 30 odd years and cant stand Queenslands humidity for a holiday never mind working in it.

Melbournes weather is much kinder.

A government report published last week predicted Melbournes population to triple in the next 40 years, they all have to live somewhere...

Guest leeanne0312
I am constantly knocking back work from builders who just stop and ask while they are just driving by.

All my mates are flat out too and most have just put their rates up.

I get $800 per thou, there was an advert in last weeks Melbourne Age newspaper offering brickies $1250 per thou but it was over the other side of town from me.

Going from Sterling to Queensland would kill you in summer, its just not the heat its the humidity, Ive been here 30 odd years and cant stand Queenslands humidity for a holiday never mind working in it.

Melbournes weather is much kinder.

A government report published last week predicted Melbournes population to triple in the next 40 years, they all have to live somewhere...

Its good to hear from someone living there who's actually in the trade and not just guessing! We had heard about the humidity but thought it would have been ok. :wacko:We had looked at Perth also as its a dry heat apparantly. I do have family in Melbourne so it would be worth researching the schools and stuff there now to help us in our decision.

Is Geelong a nice place to live and work?

Thanks Brickie and no your humour doesn't bother me!!:biglaugh:

Guest Brickie

Is Geelong a nice place to live and work?

Geelong is a nice place and close to plenty of work for a brickie (all within 30 minutes drive), it has a country feel to it and only about 30 minute to Melbourne now that they have finished the freeway.:jiggy:

It has a beach sort off, close to all the best surfing in Vic if not the whole of Australia, plenty of shops, cafes etc.

Guest brendzo

check out this site its the best one ive came accross for bricklaying jobs all around oz

alljobs.com.au

nearly sure thats it lol melbourne/sydney look to be best work wise as far as i could see

Guest leeanne0312
check out this site its the best one ive came accross for bricklaying jobs all around oz

alljobs.com/au

nearly sure thats it lol melbourne/sydney look to be best work wise as far as i could see

Cheers, will check that out.

xx:wubclub:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

Just found this thread. Found it interesting as my hubby a brickie in Brisbane. Been here 4 months so not worked thru summer yet and i do worry if he will cope with the heat and humidity. That said, he's asked a lot of poms on site about it. They all say that if you get on the big sites, there's ice & water available all the time - you just need to keep drinking & tipping water over you! And he's adamant it cant be worse than working in footings in winter in the UK!!

Noticed you've also thought of Perth. We visited & found it very quiet. Also bear in mind that in Brisbane work starts on site at 6 or 6.30am so with a commute, you could be leaving the house at 5.30. Doesnt seem to be such early starts in other states. You do finish earlier tho.

Work in Brisbane area getting tighter, but still plenty of brickie jobs in paper last night. Rates about $35 - $38 per hour. They stop tax out of that & dont get holiday pay.

Hope this helps, good luck

Sue

Guest stan n rachel

Hi We have just returned from Queensland went for a nose my o/h is a bricklayer we have 3 children Mollie 9 Charlie 14 Daniel 17. We started at Bundaberg and traveled along the coast to byron bay. There was loads of work, We visited lots of new home sites and was told that towards townsville way construction workers are earning loads of money. On our way down the sunshine coast everywhere seemed so quiet to quiet for the kids. When we hit the gold coast we all enjoyed it. Surfers Paradise was far to busy & Bustling Great for a holiday but not to live. Anyway we have decided to live at the bottom of queensland at tugan. My hubby drove arround the area 20 mile radius and was offered 6 jobs!! one of which also gave him a job offer in writing. The prices that he was offered was $4 a block $1.40 a brick or a hourly rate of $35.

Was really worth the visit put our minds at rest that we havnt gone crazy lol.

The worst thing about the visit was having to come home and now are even more desperate to get there asap.

Rachel x

Guest leeanne0312
Hi We have just returned from Queensland went for a nose my o/h is a bricklayer we have 3 children Mollie 9 Charlie 14 Daniel 17. We started at Bundaberg and traveled along the coast to byron bay. There was loads of work, We visited lots of new home sites and was told that towards townsville way construction workers are earning loads of money. On our way down the sunshine coast everywhere seemed so quiet to quiet for the kids. When we hit the gold coast we all enjoyed it. Surfers Paradise was far to busy & Bustling Great for a holiday but not to live. Anyway we have decided to live at the bottom of queensland at tugan. My hubby drove arround the area 20 mile radius and was offered 6 jobs!! one of which also gave him a job offer in writing. The prices that he was offered was $4 a block $1.40 a brick or a hourly rate of $35.

Was really worth the visit put our minds at rest that we havnt gone crazy lol.

The worst thing about the visit was having to come home and now are even more desperate to get there asap.

Rachel x

Thanks Rachel. Wish we could afford a reccie. Good to get peoples different opinions. How far along the visa process are you? What did the kids think of it? How did you find the weather? Do you think you'll be able to stand the humidity in the summertime? Thats what worries me the most. Sorry for all the questions LOL!!:twitcy:

Leeanne. xx

Guest stan n rachel

Hi

Well the weather wasnt hot it was our shorts & Bikinni top weather but locals get ya coats out weather lol. Kids loved it so glad because that was another worry of mine booked to go for a month on the spur of the moment and then thought S**t what if we go and the kids dont like it especialy the oldest because if he decided not to go he wouldnt go! Where as just going they wouldn't of had that choice, Dont worry about not being able to afford a reccie it was everything we all hoped it would be but now we are a few grand short lol. As far as being able to put up with the heat we stayed with a english family in queensland for a few days and they where cold lol. He worked for a roofing company and said you just get used to it.

Anyway Visa I think we have a case officer yipee!! Not sure tho status page has changed from processing to further processing and all documents now say received ppc say met but had no contact from one? Medicals will be with them wednesday. Just want someone to say it will be xxx amount of time driving me crazy.

Sorry for waffling on got carried away!

Rachel x

Guest leeanne0312

At least you're nearly there! We are just starting. Gonna be ages before we touch down!! AAHH!! Thanks for all you're advice it's been great. Keep in touch and let us know how you get on. Then you can post lots of piccies!!!

L xx

Archived