huntsmen

Guest hughesfamily

Guest hughesfamily

we are hoping to relocate to Queensland but am very freaked out by the thought of huge spiders! we have just spent a month around Brisbane, gold and sunshine coast and have heard loads of horror stories about huntsman spiders in houses and cars! Has anyone any experiences of dealing with them. I understand that the usual insect house spray doesn't stop them getting in. Although we didn't encounter any on our trip is that just because it was winter? What about other insects? Has anyone been overly bothered by them?

Guest sheena

hiya, we did see some when we first arrived, but all outside etc, but since we moved into our house (4 1/2 months) not seen anything apart from gekko's, possum's and parrot's!! hope that helps

sheena :wubclub:

Guest fatpom

There aren't so many Huntsman spiders around Brisbane compared to say? NSW.

Not sure why? Some say its due to the Gekko's which are an introduced species from Indo and some say its because of the Cane Toad another infamously introduced species.

You're probably pleased to hear that? :biglaugh: But it is a shame really, they are a magnificent spider and quite harmless. They steer well clear of big useless lumps like us and concentrate on small stuff like mozzies and such like.

I'm told that before the days of fly screens on windows people used to allow/keep them in the house to control mozzies?

Guest hughesfamily

Thanks for your quick responses on the lack of big spiders crawling around your houses!! That is reassuring and the fear is always worse than the reality!

This is a picture of a huntsman the wife captured (yes the wife). Look at the size of her hand compared to it! We have seen bigger!! Like others have said, they are really good in the house, you just sh&t them when you first see them. When they go from room to room , they even shut the door behind themselves :biglaugh:.

Frank[ATTACH]734[/ATTACH]

This is a picture of a huntsman the wife captured (yes the wife). Look at the size of her hand compared to it! We have seen bigger!! Like others have said, they are really good in the house, you just sh&t them when you first see them. When they go from room to room , they even shut the door behind themselves .

Frank[ATTACH]734[/ATTACH]

Wow, that is some size, but I suppose, the bigger they are, the easier to spot! :shocked:

Im not scared of spiders as such, but obviously the thought of any creature that has the possibility to kill you, is quite some worry.

What has crossed my mind is, what if a spider were to bite you when you are sleeping....Ok, I know they say that they dont want to come near us really, but say, it was walking across the bed, we rolled over, it bit us....:shocked: What then....Arrghhh, its the stuff of knightmares!

Sorry if thats making everyone worse!

Kelly. :0)

Archived